Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Sligo

Options
  • 06-02-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Can anyone help me out-

Applying for rent allowance in the next couple of days. Im over a year in the apartment so I dont think ill need an assessment from the borough council (although the last time they assessed me as having a short time need i was refused any rent allowance as the cwo claimed i needed to be assessed as having a long term need, a claim that the INOU claimed to be rubbish and urged me to appeal).

Anyway, i pay 195 a month so am just at the max amount. I share an apartment and the rent is 600 in total. Ive reached an agreement with my roommate that he pay a higher amount of 405 ( he got the ensuite room). This agreement is between me and him so will a letter signed by both of us suffice for the cwo? Also with the minimum contribution i make, €30, is this weekly or monthly?

Sorry for asking a question that seems to be asked a lot but it seems there are different outcomes for different situations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

What was your position when you entered the tenancy? If you were on a social welfare payment at that stage, then it won't matter that you've being paying rent for the past year. The requirement for rent supplement is that you either:

1 - Have been paying rent for the past 6 months AND were in a position to afford the rent at the commencement of the tenancy!
    2 - Have the local authority assessment.

They will only consider that you were reasonably able to afford the rent when you moved in if you had your own income, independent from a social welfare payment.

Advertisement