Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Bruton

• 15-06-2010 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I've just heard Richard Bruton described by a colleague on the Six One News as the "foremost politician of his generation"

Now this is high praise indeed and considering he may just be the next Taoiseach I must admit I know very little about him.

I'd be grateful if those of you in the know could enlighten me of his achievements, credentials, policies etc. I'm not being smart, I've never heard much about him before the current hullabaloo.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He's quite capable. He is a former senior minister in the Rainbow government. He is an intelligent fellow with a masters in economics from Cambridge. He worked in the ESRI and as an economist for a tobacco lobbying group back in the 80's. That's most of what I know about the chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

That was Brian Hayes, whom I think Bruton is going to make his deputy should he become leader of FG. Might be a little over the top but he has a history of being in different portfolios and a masters in Economics from Oxbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Someone I know once called him the evil of two lessers (referring to him and his brother John) ...he mightn't have been that far out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deathofan80sman

Brother of former Taoiseach John Bruton.
    Slightly reminds me of Eamon Ryan with the straightness of discourse and an ability to convincingly defend an unpopular position.
    He appears to be of sturdy stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

peasant wrote: »
    Someone I know once called him the evil of two lessers (referring to him and his brother John) ...he mightn't have been that far out :D

That description was originally coined by Michael McDowell for Gay Mitchell, brother of Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Brother of former Taoiseach John Bruton.
    ...He appears to be of sturdy stock.

Pretty much the norm in FG, but, then again so is Enda!

Unfortunately this internacine spat takes away the focus from the most incompetent and corrupt FF administration in a long line of corrupt and selfserving FF administrations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Slightly reminds me of Eamon Ryan with the straightness of discourse and an ability to convincingly defend an unpopular position.
    He appears to be of sturdy stock.

Wow, anytime i have seen Eamon Ryan fielding awkward questions, i have been thoroughly unconvinced. He never looks comfortable, and when questioned on anything fianna fail it is usually quite obvious when he actually supports something and when he is just trying to tow the party line.

Off topic though, and only my opinion.

Regarding Richard Bruton, he is the only politcian who seems to come across as competent consistently. Not high praise, but the best in the dail and definately the best FG have. Bet george lee is kicking himself for leaving now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bruton?wasRedirected=true

he also has his own website www.richardbruton.net where I'm sure you can find details of what he stands for and his policy positions.

If you are looking for opinions on him, I think he is an intelligent and capable politician and should be given the reigns of the FG party

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deathofan80sman

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Wow, anytime i have seen Eamon Ryan fielding awkward questions, i have been thoroughly unconvinced. He never looks comfortable, and when questioned on anything fianna fail it is usually quite obvious when he actually supports something and when he is just trying to tow the party line.

Off topic though, and only my opinion.

Regarding Richard Bruton, he is the only politcian who seems to come across as competent consistently. Not high praise, but the best in the dail and definately the best FG have. Bet george lee is kicking himself for leaving now.

Cool but I never got that uncomfortable vibe from Ryan and i'm not his greatest fan mainly because of the infuriating line-towing actually but i'd imagine you'd've seen Bruton doing the same(doggedly towing party line) if FG got in under Enda. I like that they both don't bark over whoever else and explain their point w/out getting totally immersed in name-calling and point-scoring... they stay on topic, mostly. End of comparison.

Think Bruton has been quietly dreading the Finance portfolio given the state of affairs, serving under Kenny and being told at every door he knocks at that he should be king.

George Lee....ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

An intelligent man by all accounts, if he has any flaws it is being too nice.

That's why everyone was shocked when McDowell called him Goebbals - it was like kicking a puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

He was always the man I found that could actually put sense on political debate - concise and clear in his declarations of what his party could refine and innovate, and seemed the most credible mouthpiece of FG when putting it to FF for their failings.

Felt he was awfully quiet over the last few months, as opposed to his usual brashness and effervesence - should've known there was something in the pipeline regarding change and there were a few throats gonna be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

No difference between Bruton and whats gone before, he ticks all the boxes for a leadership position in the tweedledee/tweedledum dynamic that are our civil war parties.

Privately Educated? check

From an established political dynasty? check

A life time in the public service? check

Yup, Bruton is exactly what 21st Century Ireland needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I saw Bruton on a TV interview a while back on the Nama debate and I thought he was very capable and convincing in his arguments. Having a Degree in Economics actually makes him one of the few people who have any sort of qualification for government over a degree in pot-hole fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Rosahane wrote: »
    Pretty much the norm in FG, but, then again so is Enda!

Unfortunately this internacine spat takes away the focus from the most incompetent and corrupt FF administration in a long line of corrupt and selfserving FF administrations!

Not just FG on this one....we as a nation are stupid enough to keep voting FF in so we can't keep complaining that the idiots are getting it wrong we we leave the idiots there!

Back on topic... I'd much prefer Bruton to Cowen or Lenihan with regard to the countries spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

He was always the man I found that could actually put sense on political debate - concise and clear in his declarations of what his party could refine and innovate, and seemed the most credible mouthpiece of FG when putting it to FF for their failings.

Felt he was awfully quiet over the last few months, as opposed to his usual brashness and effervesence - should've known there was something in the pipeline regarding change and there were a few throats gonna be cut.

He wasn't that bad of a culchie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Those culchie politicians :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

Having served under Enda for eight years, he's certainly well qualified to be Gilmore's Tánaiste.

Advertisement