Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused about Job Seekers Benefit/SW in general...

• 05-02-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Apologies but I'm a bit of SW newb. I never had a need for any of their services up until now.

I was made redundant from my job of 13 years there on Friday and I'll be heading in to make my claim for the JSB tomorrow (Monday) morning. I was just looking through the form online and there's a part that asks if I've already been looking for work :confused: I was working full time 10 plus hrs a day up until Friday, so I'm not sure when exactly they expected me to be out job hunting. So basically, no I haven't been looking for a new job up until now. Will this all go against me when I make the claim?

Also, just how much job seeking do they expect you to do? If I don't reach some sort of quota for jobs applied for do they cut me off :confused:?

One more thing. I'd actually prefer to go into business for myself than go searching for another job like the one I just left (which admitedly I hated, but it's the only thing I'm even remotely qualified for). I know that there's an enterprise scheme, but when I checked it out it looks like I'd need to be on benefit/allowance for 2 years? (not sure if this is correct) before I qualify. This essentially forces me to look for jobs that I essentially don't want, just so I can have a pittance to feed myself. Don't get me wrong, I want to work, it's just that I'd prefer to be working for myself.

Do I really have no other options than claiming the JSB and spending my days searching for jobs I know I'll hate? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

gloobag wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

Apologies but I'm a bit of SW newb. I never had a need for any of their services up until now.

I was made redundant from my job of 13 years there on Friday and I'll be heading in to make my claim for the JSB tomorrow (Monday) morning. I was just looking through the form online and there's a part that asks if I've already been looking for work :confused: I was working full time 10 plus hrs a day up until Friday, so I'm not sure when exactly they expected me to be out job hunting. So basically, no I haven't been looking for a new job up until now. Will this all go against me when I make the claim?

Also, just how much job seeking do they expect you to do? If I don't reach some sort of quota for jobs applied for do they cut me off :confused:?

One more thing. I'd actually prefer to go into business for myself than go searching for another job like the one I just left (which admitedly I hated, but it's the only thing I'm even remotely qualified for). I know that there's an enterprise scheme, but when I checked it out it looks like I'd need to be on benefit/allowance for 2 years? (not sure if this is correct) before I qualify. This essentially forces me to look for jobs that I essentially don't want, just so I can have a pittance to feed myself. Don't get me wrong, I want to work, it's just that I'd prefer to be working for myself.

Do I really have no other options than claiming the JSB and spending my days searching for jobs I know I'll hate? :(

Go in and make your claim for jsb on Monday. You dont say if you have received a redundancy payment or not. If you are <55 years of age and have received a redundancy package of >€50,000 there will be a disqualification period. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

If you have to serve a disqualification period it is best not to make you claim until after the disqualification period as you claim starts from that date and you will have the full benefit of 312 days.

In relation to the form... I presume its Q19 you refer to. As you have just been made unemployed sw will not expect you to have started looking for work over the weekend. If you are still unemployed 6 months down the line you may get a form in the post to fill out detailing your efforts to seek work.

In relation to starting your own business please see following link in relation to back to work enterprise allowance
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW92/Pages/2WhocanqualifyforBTWEA.aspx

While you are on jobseekers...if this the what you want to do....you can register with FAS and apply for courses which may be of benefit to you in starting your own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

You are expected to be available for work and actively seeking work so just answer yes to the question about looking for a job.

There are a number of options available for people who are on Social Welfare who want to start their own business. Contact your local county enterprise board who run different courses to help people who want to take the big step into being self employed. Also the jobs facilitator in your local Social Welfare Office should be able to offer advice and assist you. There are a number of schemes not just Back to Work Enterprise allowance, there may also be grants available for start up costs.

Look also at the Citizens Information site for available supports:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/schemes_to_support_employment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 louiseok01

I think you have to tick the box saying that you are actively looking for work.

They wont look for proof of this for 6-8 weeks.

You should go to Citizens Information or else may not get what you are entitled to.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Legally speaking your former employer is obliged to give you time off work to look for work in the last 2 weeks of your employment if you have been made redundant.

There is not likely to be much scrutiny paid to your job seeking efforts at this early stage. You should however ensure that you can at least say that you were making some initial efforts. Talking to friends/family or contacts in the industry about possible opportunities you work in are reasonable first steps that you would be expected to make. You should also register immediately with FAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When you go to the dep of Social Welfare you need to bring any tax documents that you have or you social welfare card, bring your passport or driving licence and also bring some recent bills in you name. They will ask for this information before processing any claim.
    If you have got redundancy money I would still go to the department of social welfare on Monday and sign on then.
    You should be able to claim Jobseekers Benefit which is based on your social insurance record.
    Also you need to be in the office before 12 as they won't deal with new claims between 12 and 2. Bring a newspaper and a drink with you as you could be there for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Thanks peeps for all the advice.

I went in today and it's all sorted (almost). Contrary to what fab lady said above, I turned up at about 2:30pm and was gone within about 40mins. It didn't seem that busy though, certainly not as much as I had envisioned in my head.

I have to go back on Friday with some info about my girlfriends earnings, but they told me that this is just to check if I'm entitled to anything else, which I'm sure I'm not (she has a pretty good job).

I was surprised at how nice they were in there to be honest. I thought it was gonna be a nightmare :rolleyes:

Advertisement