Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Fourth Gig Announced!

Options
  • 19-05-2005 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard there on the radio U2 are playing a 4th (!!) gig in Croke Park.

Didn't hear dates or anything though!

Got my ticket for gig 3.. so i'm happy! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wtf this cant be true!? Got any links to back up these wild claims ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wtf this cant be true!? Got any links to back up these wild claims ;)
    Just heard it on the 2FM News there at 3pm.. anyone confirm they heard it also?

They were talking about it this morning on a few stations.

Myth wrote:
    They were talking about it this morning on a few stations.
    Possibly..! Only listened to Ray D'Arcy from 9 - 12.. and don't think i heard anything during that!

Been listening to 2fm all day but decided to turn it off around 2.30 to watch som family guy episodes. Did they even mention a date? Theres no news about it on u2.com, They wont be playing the 28th cos there next gig after that would be cardiff on the 29th.
    Still not believing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They're playing Friday, Saturday. Monday, what's wrong with them playing on the Sunday?
    Have they sorted the residents yet about their FREE tickets?

the reason there not playing sunday is to save bono's voice, he has already stated this himself.

Nothing about it on 2FM 4pm news... maybe i dreamt it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Very dubious - couldn't believe it myself when I was walking through the kitchen and heard it on the radio.

NoelRock wrote:
    Very dubious - couldn't believe it myself when I was walking through the kitchen and heard it on the radio.
    ... so i'm not crazy?! Someone else heard it too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=143486734&p=y4348744x
    U2 are reportedly hoping to play a fourth gig at Dublin's Croke Park this summer.

Reports this morning said the rock band were seeking planning permission for another gig on top of the three sell-out concerts due to take place at the end of next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

they wont get planning permision if they dont sort out tickets with the residents, will they?

then theyll use that to withold all tickets to the residents as they agreed not to object to planning permission.

:conspiracy:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

:mad:

Really gets on my wick this kind of carry-on...

I too, like some other people of this parish, heard reports of reports of speculation that there MAY be another U2 concert.

AFAIK what happened was that a certain tabloid, probably on a slow news day, decided to run the story. Probably no basis for it (although I'm sure I'd be happy if there was) and it gets picked up by the rest of the Media.

For Gods sakes, The Mirror is NOT(unless I missed the meeting where it was decided otherwise!) the paper of record in this country, and while I can understand a paper running a story like this and geeing up its few readers into believing that the gig may happen, the non-questioning idiots on the Radio giving it more credence is just idiotic.

I'm not sure which, but it's either 2fm or Today fm which is promoting the U2 gigs, so at least ONE of those stations should be able to check with their marketing bods to see if it's true/false/unconfirmable-at-this-point-in-time-tap-nose-wink-wink.

There's no doubting it that McGuinnesses feckin' Showband (© Dermot Morgan 1991) are a talented bunch and can quite easily sell out large venues. But a vacuous and unquestioning media that regurgitates (sp?!) half-non stories which can only fuel demand (and inevitably leave genuine fans ticketless AGAIN) should really cop the hell on...

I reckon if this does go ahead it wont be around the weekend when the other 3 are on. They may return to dublin at the end of august to finish off the european leg of their tour. There is 3 week gap between the finish of their european tour and the start of the 2nd leg of the north american tour so this is most likely when it could happen as long as their scheduling doesnt conflict with the gaa championship.

:mad:

Really gets on my wick this kind of carry-on...

I too, like some other people of this parish, heard reports of reports of speculation that there MAY be another U2 concert.

AFAIK what happened was that a certain tabloid, probably on a slow news day, decided to run the story. Probably no basis for it (although I'm sure I'd be happy if there was) and it gets picked up by the rest of the Media.

For Gods sakes, The Mirror is NOT(unless I missed the meeting where it was decided otherwise!) the paper of record in this country, and while I can understand a paper running a story like this and geeing up its few readers into believing that the gig may happen, the non-questioning idiots on the Radio giving it more credence is just idiotic.

I'm not sure which, but it's either 2fm or Today fm which is promoting the U2 gigs, so at least ONE of those stations should be able to check with their marketing bods to see if it's true/false/unconfirmable-at-this-point-in-time-tap-nose-wink-wink.

There's no doubting it that McGuinnesses feckin' Showband (© Dermot Morgan 1991) are a talented bunch and can quite easily sell out large venues. But a vacuous and unquestioning media that regurgitates (sp?!) half-non stories which can only fuel demand (and inevitably leave genuine fans ticketless AGAIN) should really cop the hell on...

Completely agree, if the mirror is the source of this 4th gig story then i'm fairly pissed off i gave it that much credence in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It is The Mirror that's the source for this story. On the front page, with an "exclusive" banner over it (meaning "we made this up").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Issued this evening...

Please find statement issued by John Giddings, U2 European Tour Coordinator today (Thursday, May 19th ’05):

"Despite today's press reports to the contrary, there will be no fourth date added to U2's Croke Park shows next month. I can confirm that the schedule for U2's Vertigo 2005 European tour is complete as announced and there will be no additional shows."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

jmc wrote:
    Issued this evening...

Please find statement issued by John Giddings, U2 European Tour Coordinator today (Thursday, May 19th ’05):

"Despite today's press reports to the contrary, there will be no fourth date added to U2's Croke Park shows next month. I can confirm that the schedule for U2's Vertigo 2005 European tour is complete as announced and there will be no additional shows."

Hmmm...given that they previously said that there would definitely not be a third gig I wouldn't take this as gospel!

Advertisement