Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Cheese Non Vegetarian

Options
  • 14-06-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

Was shopping yesterday and picked their new cheese up for crackers. Did a check on the ingredients though and noticed there's gelatin in it. It also says unsuitable for vegetarians in tiny writing on it but I just thought I'd put a picture of it up just in case.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It varies from country to country, but the low fat/light version one, i.e. the one with the light blue writing, may also contains gelatine. I'm absolutely paranoid when it comes to reading labels, and this is the reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Once I see the word 'whipped' on anything edible I take it there is a good chance it will contain gelatine e.g. tubs of ready whipped cream, whipped cheese and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You can get Violife vegan cream cheese in dunnes, tastes better than Philadelphia IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the tofutti cream cheese is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

the tofutti cream cheese is amazing.

Hi Tar,

I am looking to try some dairy free or vegetarian cheese.

Where could I find this tofutti cream cheese?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heya!

I get that in Down to Earth on georges street, if you are in dublin. They also have a garlic/herb and sour flavour one I think. They have other things like cheddar, Parmesan, cheese slices too, all dairy free. There are also nourish shops which should have some brands too. The Parmesan is amazing with pasta.

Tofutti and violife are my favourite brands. Vegusto is really good too but dear (like 8 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Heya!

I get that in Down to Earth on georges street, if you are in dublin. They also have a garlic/herb and sour flavour one I think. They have other things like cheddar, Parmesan, cheese slices too, all dairy free. There are also nourish shops which should have some brands too. The Parmesan is amazing with pasta.

Tofutti and violife are my favourite brands. Vegusto is really good too but dear (like 8 euro).

How can you get a dairy free Parmesan ? Parmesan is a cheese from Parma -in Italy like -
    Is it a dried tofu ? Just intrigued as to how they make it ?
    Incidentally if you're looking for most of the above in cork -try quay co-op -well and good Midleton and surprisingly tesco's have a lot of dairy free cheese things too -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It's described as prosociano with parmesan flavouring, it tastes different but tastes great. Had vegan bacon carbonara with a cashew cream sauce and that cheese, was amazing.

Here's the ingredients:
    http://www.violife.gr/#!violife-prosociano-with-parmesan-flavour/cgja
    And the rest of their range: http://www.violife.gr/#!our-products/cnfd

There are some amazing nut cheeses but most are available outside ireland boo.
    http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

Thanks folks

I should have mentioned that I was in Dublin.

I have just been vegetarian for around a month and I am still trying to find my feet and replace things that I used to eat and spreadable cheese was one. :)

I have quit fish, milk and cheese too but have not gone down the full vegan route yet. (quorn products)

I am happy with my progress so far and every little substitute that I can find that replaces what I was eating before is a great help.

Now if only I could find vegan fried eggs and rashers :)

Great progress. Quorn are releasing vegan products soon and there are plenty of vegan fake meats too already that are nicer than quorn.
    I made this vegan "fried egg" before and it was really good, bit of effort, black salt really tastes like eggs: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/the-perfect-vegan-fried-egg-sunny-side-up/

As for rashers there are some great ones in down to earth, you can also get them online, moodley meats
    http://moodleymanor.com/moodleymeats

grill them until they are crispy for best results, good luck with it all :)

I recommend veggie deli sausages and vpud pudding in down to earth too, mmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement