Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to remember TV series

• 30-11-2014 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I am trying to find the name of a BBC TV series from the late 70s / early 80s. About a schoolmaster in a public school who started investigating occult goings on. I am pretty sure it was London. He went into a pub called Goat and Compasses and was told it used to be God Encompasses. It was also a book which preceded the TV series.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Definitely BBC not ITV? And can you remember anybody in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Definitely BBC not ITV? And can you remember anybody in it...

Definitely BBC and no I cannot remember anyone in it. The only other thing I have is that
    'When the man started getting into trouble, one of his star pupils found out, a young teen boy. He told his friends, "We have to do something." But they couldn't think of anything to do. At the very end the master is hearing a bible reading during a service in the school chapel and the same boy keeps stumbling on pronunciation of the word "shew" meaning show. The master tells him to say shew.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

obplayer wrote: »
    I am trying to find the name of a BBC TV series from the late 70s / early 80s. About a schoolmaster in a public school who started investigating occult goings on. I am pretty sure it was London. He went into a pub called Goat and Compasses and was told it used to be God Encompasses. It was also a book which preceded the TV series.

Would this be it ?

Hope so anywhoo,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Would this be it ?

Hope so anywhoo,
    kerry4sam

Sorry no, but thanks for trying and responding.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sky.
    Book 1974, series 1979.
    Teacher: Jim Prideaux.
    Pupil: Jumbo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy_(TV_miniseries)

• Advertisement

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sky.
    Book 1974, series 1979.
    Teacher: Jim Prideaux.
    Pupil: Jumbo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy_(TV_miniseries)

Sorry ,not that but thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Try posting your question on the Uk 'Doyouremember' forum..some complete geniuses on it who find the most obscure programs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

"Children of the Stones"?

Scared the bejesus outta me

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Agreed - totally chilling.

That was HTV though and the book serialisation appeared shortly after the original broadcast in 1977.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Try posting your question on the Uk 'Doyouremember' forum..some complete geniuses on it who find the most obscure programs!

Thanks, I'll try that!

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »

No though it was chilling, I watched it again on you tube recently.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

To Serve Them All My Days?Prob not but the main character was a headmaster and it was round about the timeframe.From what I remember it starred a pre Rodney Nicholas Lyndhurst as a pupil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Can't see many TV shows with the mention of a pub called the Goat and Compasses,
    The only occult investigation TV shows that sound vaguely familiar are "The Omega Factor" or "Ace of Wands"

To Serve Them All My Days?Prob not but the main character was a headmaster and it was round about the timeframe.From what I remember it starred a pre Rodney Nicholas Lyndhurst as a pupil.

Fits
    BBC
    1972 book
    1980 TV

The Mulk wrote: »
    Can't see many TV shows with the mention of a pub called the Goat and Compasses,
    The only occult investigation TV shows that sound vaguely familiar are "The Omega Factor" or "Ace of Wands"

Ace of Wands is ITV. The Omega Factor - possibly but can't remember much about it.

Fits
    BBC
    1972 book
    1980 TV

Sorry no but thanks. Good book though.

The Mulk wrote: »

Not Ace of Wands but The Omega Factor is possible. Going to watch an episode on you tube, get back to you later!

Not Ace of Wands but The Omega Factor is possible. Going to watch an episode on you tube, get back to you later!

Might be but still going through episodes. Trying to find that pub!
    Thanks to all who helped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Might be but still going through episodes. Trying to find that pub!
    Thanks to all who helped.

Did you find out what it was?im as curious to know myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

It does sound like The Omega Factor to me. I hope you find it!

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    Did you find out what it was?im as curious to know myself now.

Sorry but it was not the Omega factor, unless the memory is faulty and more than one series has been 'joined together' in old memories, though this is possible. Other than that I am stumped now.

Sorry but it was not the Omega factor, unless the memory is faulty and more than one series has been 'joined together' in old memories, though this is possible. Other than that I am stumped now.

I will watch every episode of the Omega Factor carefully over the next week or two, it's on you tube. It seems easily the best bet and I have the time at the moment. Determined to give a definite yea or nay.

The verdict is The Omega Factor, matches almost everything. Thanks to all who helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Any of these occult ones ?... http://www.listchallenges.com/1970s-occult-films

No, not what I was looking for but thanks!

Advertisement