Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 (or any other OS...) on Core 2 Duo Macbook...

• 01-09-2015 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a venerable white Core 2 Duo Macbook with a busted Superdrive (removed) which is stuck at OSX 10.4. I'm looking for some options to get any other OS onto this machine. I'd prefer Windows 7, but I'd settle for Ubuntu or even if I get to OSX 10.6 I'd be happy. I've had no joy whatsoever trying to install an OS from USB. Is this possible with a USB cable optical drive? Or as a last resort, could I transfer the HD to another laptop and install an OS there? I've read that leaving the unpacked Windows install on a HD can allow it to finish the install on a new laptop.
    And ideas welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

USB install should be fine - where are you failing there?

I've often installed win 7 from USB drive (onto EEE PC type netbooks, Dell laptops etc.) - you have to set the partition as bootable...

see this one?: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Dardania wrote: »
    USB install should be fine - where are you failing there?

I've often installed win 7 from USB drive (onto EEE PC type netbooks, Dell laptops etc.) - you have to set the partition as bootable...

see this one?: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255 ?
    Yes, I've done this many times on non-Mac hardware... there's something in the old Macbook BIOS that demands a HFS+ (I think) file system and I don't think Windows wants to/can boot from that.

any way you can boot into mac os, and then install windows from there? Boot camp seems to be unsupported for 10.4, although this post talsk about a workaround?:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-can-i-download-boot-camp-for-tiger.484593/

Or what about a newer version of mac os x, with bootcamp supported?

Or what about a newer version of mac os x, with bootcamp supported?
    Bootcamp would certainly be the easiest way, but without the (internal) Superdrive, I'm not sure if it's possible to update the OSX. I'll have a read of your link though to see if I can access Bootcamp from 10.4.

• Advertisement

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/install-a-windows-7-partition-on-mac-osx-without-optical-drive-or-usb.1836959/#post-20584499
    This might do the job, thought I'll have to find out if the software mentioned all runs on 10.4.

Edit: VMWare Fusion: Mac OS X 10.9.0 or later
    So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

If I am correct my white macbook is running 10.7 its a core 2 duo from 2006, will check it for you. 10.7 is mountain lion and think apple may still sell it if you ring copy on to usb key and it will install.

raytaxi wrote: »
    If I am correct my white macbook is running 10.7 its a core 2 duo from 2006, will check it for you. 10.7 is mountain lion and think apple may still sell it if you ring copy on to usb key and it will install.
    I haven't tried to install OSX from a USB stick yet, only Windows, Ubuntu and Puppy Linux. However I'm not sure why OSX 10.7 would be any different since it isn't treating the USB stick as a boot device in the first place.
    I've opened up this Mac before though. Maybe my portable DVD drive can be connected to the Superdrive connector somehow?

If I remember correctly its an iso image that just instals off usb key. If you want further help pm me .

raytaxi wrote: »
    If I remember correctly its an iso image that just instals off usb key. If you want further help pm me .
    Thanks, I'll see can I dig out a USB stick big enough for it. Every version of OSX can make a boot USB then?

• Advertisement

I downloaded a copy double clicked and it installed. Was a while now but that was all it took.

Hi again!
    Many many many hours of wrestling with this got me nowhere. I just can't get either Transmac or the OSX 10.4 Disk Utility to make a bootable USB stick. I tried with both 10.5 and 10.6 DMGs on HFS+ format. It just never appears in the boot device menu where the internal HD does.
    Anyway, it looks like the HD itself is now on the blink. Safari slowed to a crawl and then on reboot it grey screens for a minute and gives me a blinking folder with a ? in the middle. It looks rightly trashed now!
    One last thing I thought of. Can I take out the HD and install OSX from a DMG in an external enclosure (under Windows/Transmac) to it and then put it back in? Or do this with a new HD if it is totally kaput?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Yes, I've done this many times on non-Mac hardware... there's something in the old Macbook BIOS that demands a HFS+ (I think) file system and I don't think Windows wants to/can boot from that.

For the Mac to see a bootable device it must be partitioned as GUID. Follow these instructions.

muggyog wrote: »
    For the Mac to see a bootable device it must be partitioned as GUID. Follow these instructions.
    Done every time for the USB. Not recognised.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Done every time for the USB. Not recognised.

How many USB keys have you tried?

How many USB keys have you tried?
    An old 8Gb and an out of the box 32Gb.

Looking around the web, it seems people have had no problems swapping HDs between similar Macbooks. If Transmac can get OSX onto a HD and I put it in then it should (in theory) work just fine.
    Now I just need to clear out one of my 2.5 inch drives...

OK, I've put the OSX 10.6 DMG onto a small HD (32Gb) and put in the Mac. It boots to the OSX installer but won't let me install it on the same drive. What next? I can't partition from within the installer either for some reason... puzzled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Get a USB to SATA adapter - attach the drive you wish to install OS X to - boot Mac as you just did and when the installer fires up select the external disk.

Once the install is finished simply swap the internal and external drive.

Job done.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Get a USB to SATA adapter - attach the drive you wish to install OS X to - boot Mac as you just did and when the installer fires up select the external disk.

Once the install is finished simply swap the internal and external drive.

Job done.

Ken
    Thanks, I was almost there figuring this out!
    Unfortunately the old HD is completely dead now, so I need yet another HD to do this install to. I'm sure I've one here somewhere...
    I guess if I had 2 Macs this would all be very straightforward.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that was the one. I felt a bit through the looking glass installing an OS from the internal drive to an external drive... sorta the opposite of what I'm used to! But it booted first time and now I'm happily on OSX 10.6, which is probably the best for this Intel Duo 1Gb Macbook? It didn't fix my unrecognized battery issue, but there's a job for another day, and could be hardware I guess. Now maybe Bootcamp to Windows 7 or PuppyLinux.
    Thanks all.

Advertisement