Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people on ADSL2+ subjected to the same congestion as those on ADSL1?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

So I figured I would post this here instead of on the Broadband board because I figured people on here would have an overall better understanding of the Eircom network.

Basically what I'm asking is, what is the network setup like inside the average exchange? I know that my local one has ADSL and ADSL2+ DSLAMs and I was wondering are they subjected to the same congestion? for example, is it like this:

ADSL DSLAM is given a 100Mbps link and ADSL2+ DSLAM is given a 100Mbps link.

Or is it simple like:

ADSL and ADSL2 DSLAMs share a 200Mbps link.

I would be very interested in any information you have at all on the networking setup inside the exchange.

Thanks -Micheal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Contention depends mostly on the exchange backhaul, which could be microwave or fibre physical link. The link can be nearly any speed. Contention is the theoretical maximum connections in use (at whatever speed they really do)/Backhaul speed. Even with 10:1 contention you might have no congestion as not all users are active at once and only FTP of large files or streaming is continuous data use.

Then congestion depends on the actual connections in use and speed of data on them (which is always lower and speed on an individual connection may depend on a server or connection elsewhere). If the sum of that data is less than backhaul then there is no congestion. If the data is bursty you may get a rise in latency before you get a drop in speed.

The ADSL vs ADSL2+ has not much relevance to congestion except in the amount of data that users can get, thus upgrading an exchange from ADSL to ADSL2+ if it had an ancient ISDN era backhaul never even updated for ADSL will result in higher off-peak time speed per user but might mean no increase in speed at peak time.

Advertisement