Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Main criteria when buying a car - will No1 ever be MPG for you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

shedweller wrote: »
    Yaris 1.4d4d. It's a 2004 model, i believe the newer one is ....er...worse. Although by an amount that would hardly make a real world difference!

83 mpg .... I think you made a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

MPG would not be top of my list when it came to buying a car. Car tax and could I afford to maintain the car in terms of service costs would be my biggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mpg top of my list for buying a car? I'd be one of the top three

Is it something I like and not on my no go list?
    What's the tax?
    Good on petrol/dayysel?

I tend to buy cars because I like them and have an interest in them, not because john and mary bullshipper in the pub said it's a great yoke/ reliable as a tractor/ bag of ham/ everyone else has one etc etc etc. I'll buy the damned thing and form my own opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CiniO wrote: »
    Simple calculations and it reveals your car does 3.40 litres/100km...
    83 mpg .... I think you made a mistake.

See post #42 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yes, MPG will become a priority. Either that or wipe out the MPG altogether and buy an electric car.

RXMPS wrote: »
    There is a big difference between 29mpg and 40mpg.

Over 30% infact.

€3000 vs €2100 per year for low milage.

Type R is at least 100% more expensive for anyone 30 or under to insure compared to a 1.4 corolla.

€1000 vs €500

Road tax again is 70% more expensive at nearly €700 a euro.

Tyres are alot more expensive on the Type R, brake pads, discs, suspension etc etc.

Still quite small really?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Unlikely to be No1 simply because there will always be a range of cars to select from with similar mpg.

Wouldn't be top of my list by any stretch. But it would be something I would factor in to the overall decision to some degree. This time around I bought a diesel for that reason, the car will do a lot of mileage so it made sense. Top of my list is something I enjoy driving - but I could go a hell of a lot higher with running costs if I were to get my perfect car, but I can't afford it, so I'll settle for something middle of the road that I can look out my window and look forward to driving.

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yep.

Ohhh yeah.

Mr money with his 2.5l V6 MG ZT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement