Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Start up gear for fly fishing

Options
  • 06-06-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting into fly fishing. I normally just do sea fishing (lure fishing/spinning for bass/mackeral/pollock in the summer)but want to give fly fishing a go. I've been told that it's even mor fun than spinning for bas etc with light tackle. I did a fly fishing lesson in Rathbeggan Lakes last year and got an idea of how to cast and had another lesson today.(This time at Annamoe in Wicklow) Had about 5 bites today but didnt manage to hook and land any despite the fact that everyone around me did!) So I'm fairly egarer to get the feel for it and catch my first fish on the fly. I was hoping to get some advice on buying fly gear. Part of thenjoyment of fishing for me is the possibility of catching something fresh for the table. I understand from this forum that wild brown trout are in danger of being over fished and maybe I'm wrong but I'm getting the impression that's very hard to fish for them in rivers succesfully and expensive too (in terms of joining a club etc) So realistically I see myself visiting the stocked lakes the odd time and also fishing small mountain lakes for wild brownies (catch and release the little lads don't worry!) when on holidays in the west. So I'm hoping to get some advice on a good budget set up? They had rods for sale down in annamoe. A fll rod,reel and line combo for €108. I have no idea what the reel or line were but the rod was an Okima Airframe I tink. Anyone know this rod? I live out in north county Dublin and see that Gormastown Anglers have stocked lake. Just wondering does anyone know is it any good? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey Mat.

In terms of the rod in Anamoe, i couldnt tell you much really. But in terms of the set up you would be looking for here's my take on things.

If youre going to be fishing the stocked lakes you would be looking at getting a heavier rod, something in the line of 6/7w 9-10 foot rod as the rainbows tend to be bigger and give a hard fight. If thats the case, youl be looking at a 6/7 real and a 6 or 7 weight floating line. There are some good deals to be had, i would say scout around, but for cheap deals ebay really is your friend. Try look for a name like flextec, orvis, shakespeare, airflow... all good names that will do decent starting off kits.

Regarding fishing the small mountain lakes, you would really need a smaller weight set up. The heavier 6/7 rod would be a tad too heavy for the smaller fish you would get very little fight out of the fish.

Something like this would see you straight starting off http://cgi.ebay.ie/AIRFLO-TROUT-FLY-FISHING-COMPLETE-OUTFIT-10FT-ROD-/370513290295?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5644502437 or this is also a good deal http://cgi.ebay.ie/VIPER-TROUT-FISHING-OUTFIT-9-5FT-ROD-NEW-FREE-P-P-/270567897975?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3eff1a7b77.

IN terms of Gormans town I think they're a private club that you have to join so it could cost you a pretty penny.

Hope this helps. Im only fly fishing the past year and a half at this stage so someone could probably give you better advice than I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks TheHamo, Cheers for taking the time to reply. Yeah I reckon I'll prob go for a 6w 9.5 ft rod if theres such a thing. Dont really want to spend a lot as I prob wont be doing a whole lot of fly fishing cause I'm not planning on forking out on joining a club etc. So hopefully I can get something half decent for about 100euro? I was told to make sure I get good line but not to fuss too much about the reel by a couple of people so I'll see. Am dying to land my first fish on the fly now!! Thanks again for the tips. Was thinking of taking a hike up to Kellys Lough in wicklow sometime or maybe roundwood reservoir as the permits seem cheap. If anyone has any advice on how to do a bit of trout fishing around the greater dublin area without spending a lot on joining a club etc I'd really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

You can join the Dodder Anglers club for a tenner - plus it allows you to fish the Bohernabreena reservoir in addition to the Dodder so it really is pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

The Wavin pipes lake outside Balbriggan is a great lake but it tends to get weedy in the summer.
    A chap called Ray is one of the organisers out there and he can give you some tips and get you cheap gear too. He's usually out there or one of the team is so if you go along and ask you'll probably be given good advice.

I'm a member of the Duleek anglers who fish the Nanny. It costs 50 euro a year and the river is not intimidating for a beginner. You can get your membership in the local shop in Duleek.

100 euro is more than enough to get a decent rod and line. Dont worry about getting a fancy reel. Just get a quality line and probably a 5/7 rod. If you go into Southside Angling and ask for Des he'll help you out. Also he'll get you the flies needed for each month.

If i get a chance i'll follow this thread and try to help with any other questions

That's great advice. Thank's all. I'll head over to Southside Angling and get set up so. What would the fishing be like on the Dodder for a beginner? That's interesting about the Nanny - not too far from me either. Would a beginner have much of a chance of catching there do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Here is my advice,

Get yourself a 9ft 5/6WT fly rod. (a 6/7 is too heavy for river work)

Also get both a reel and a spare spool (Okuma Airframe is fine) which will hold a Floating 5/6WF and maybe a DI3 sinking line again either a 5/6WT.

This will cover you for both river and lake fishing..

For fishing lakes get yourself some 6-8lb fluorocarbon, maybe Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon..

got this in the end from Southside Angling http://www.fishtec.co.uk/online.cfm/fly-rods/airflo-fly-fishing-kits-small-stillwater-and-river-kit/40/yes/49998
    I know it's prob not the best in the world but it suits my budget for the moment. and I can get out and see do I like it. I'd imagine the line would be the weak point?

Thanks again for all the advice. Looking forward to doing a bit of fishing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Decent kit, wouldnt be too dissapointed with it. I learned my trade on a fly rod from lidl so this would be infintiely better as its an established name. I also had an airflow rod and really liked it.

Tight lines, keep us posted on how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I have several Airflo Streamtec rods for dry/czech nymphing and I can't fault them, so it should be enough to get you going...

A few of these and you will catch the stockies.. use about 8-9ft of leader from the fly line.

just remember to flatten the bards on the hooks if you plan to fish catch & release.

fritz_black_lure_lr.jpgBugger-orangefritz.jpg

Yerman in the shop actually gave me a fly just like that. Have to say I find it funny looking at all the sophisticated looking dry flies and then this mad big orange yoke! I'll give it a bash. Cheers all for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

mattcullen wrote: »
    got this in the end from Southside Angling http://www.fishtec.co.uk/online.cfm/fly-rods/airflo-fly-fishing-kits-small-stillwater-and-river-kit/40/yes/49998
    I know it's prob not the best in the world but it suits my budget for the moment. and I can get out and see do I like it. I'd imagine the line would be the weak point?

Thanks again for all the advice. Looking forward to doing a bit of fishing now.

I would'nt say it is. The link you posted states it's pre-loaded with Airflo Velocity Weight Forward 7, which I have used before. All things considered,its not a bad line.

deadly! So it should be enough to get me going so. By the way does anyone know if Roundwood reservoir is any good? (without a boat)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Thanks TheHamo, Cheers for taking the time to reply. Yeah I reckon I'll prob go for a 6w 9.5 ft rod if theres such a thing. Dont really want to spend a lot as I prob wont be doing a whole lot of fly fishing cause I'm not planning on forking out on joining a club etc. So hopefully I can get something half decent for about 100euro? I was told to make sure I get good line but not to fuss too much about the reel by a couple of people so I'll see. Am dying to land my first fish on the fly now!! Thanks again for the tips. Was thinking of taking a hike up to Kellys Lough in wicklow sometime or maybe roundwood reservoir as the permits seem cheap. If anyone has any advice on how to do a bit of trout fishing around the greater dublin area without spending a lot on joining a club etc I'd really appreciate it.
    Talk to Karl in southside angling about joining the Kibride anglers club.I think initially it is 100 euro,and after that it is 50 euro for the season.If you have kids it onlly costs 1 euro per child.This gives you access to the upper liffey(which is great for the kids),The kells blackwater.blessington reservoir and they have boats on various waters.It's well worth the money.My advice would be to get yourself out onto a river.It is completely different cos you are constantly moving and will learn lots.Your casting and particularly presentation will improve cos you will put fish down with poor casting.As to fishing gear,I would start with a 5/6 wt rod and a good quality double taper lineThe reel isn't really important.The flies that you would use on a stocked would differ to that on a river to a cetain extent.There is loads to learn about this sport but it is all part of the fun.Before you know it,you will be tying your own flies.Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

deadly! So it should be enough to get me going so. By the way does anyone know if Roundwood reservoir is any good? (without a boat)

Roundwood reservoir is very good with a boat lol.........otherwise its just crap. Its a bit big for fishing from the shore, I always found locating fish in it to be difficult while being restricted by the bank. If you're not a competent caster I wouldnt bother as theres not many places on it with much clearing behind you. If you were willing to go that far to fish sure why dont you just pop over to annamoe fishery, there's only a few miles in the difference.

Advertisement