Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing machine kits for kids

Options
  • 24-11-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

My 7 year old daughter has asked Santa for a Janome sewing machine this Christmas.

I want to buy her some accessories to go with it like a kit with bobbins & threads, materials etc.

I have looked in argos, amazon, hickeys etc and am totally lost! Can anyone recommend anything for me to get for her? I'm useless so don't even know what kinds of bobbins and thread to buy. Are they universal?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Bobbins are usually specific to the machines, sometimes even the same brand has different bobbins for each machine.
    The shop that sold you the sewing machine should have the correct bobbins for sale, otherwise you can contact a sewing machine shop and give them the model number - they will then be able to get the correct bobbins for you.

I would highly recommend you buy good quality thread for the machine. Thread is dear, but cheap thread will keep breaking and will frustrate a child.

What kind of sewing does your daughter want to do - clothes, patchwork, dolls etc. as that will determine what kind of material you should get her.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

She is starting sewing lessons in the new year so I got the machine from the teacher as it is the same as the one she will be using in class. They will be making clothes there but I'd say she'll want to try a bit of everything. Is there any packs you can buy with designs/instructions and required material for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

If you got the machine from the teacher she might have spare bobbins for sale. If not, http://www.sewingmachinesireland.com are agents for Janome so they could post some bobbins out to you.

The Quilters Guild in the British Isles have a young quilters group, they have some projects on-line which might useful:http://www.youngquilters.org.uk/blog/projects-to-make/

The Irish Patchwork Society are in the process of setting up a young quilters group as well, but it'll be next year before it gets going properly.

Most sewing kits for children aren't that great to be honest, they're usually overpriced for what's included.

I'd recommend going to a local arts & craft shop and picking up a few packs of felt. Felt is great for practicising your machine stitches on and for appliquing.

You can buy packs of Bondaweb in Hickey (or buy it by metre) which is great for applique.

Ikea also has some cotton fabrics in their furnishing department. A lot of their fabrics are heavy-weight and meant for curtains, but they do have a few light-weight cottons which are a great price (most at €4/metre). They also sell plain white and black cotton fabric which you can use as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

Thanks Millypenny that is really useful. I actually got her some felt so I will pick up some more and some materials along with bobbins and threads and that should do her until she starts her sewing classes in January.

I had to google Bondaweb & applique so I have learned something new about sewing! That is definitely something she'd love.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree abut not buying 'kits', look for an easy craft book with ideas in it and get the materials suggested. Agree about sewing thread - look for Gutermann threads. Stick with cotton or polycotton fabrics for the moment. Synthetics mostly need special treatment and specific needles. Get a dressmaking scissors for her to use under supervision (it will necessarily be sharp) and do NOT use it for cutting paper or anything other than fabric. Also a small ordinary scissors for cutting threads etc. Tape measure will be useful, an unpicker (stitch ripper), and a chalk marker. Some plastic headed pins (easy to see).

• Advertisement
Advertisement