Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock 2 is now on Steam!

Options
  • 10-05-2013 6:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Title says it all. It's 30% off as well. Very tempting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

mother. of. God

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Give pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Been out on gog for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Burgo wrote: »
    Been out on gog for a while now.

for a lot cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah, I got it from GOG.
    It's probably their version that's on STEAM

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I got it from GOG.
    It's probably their version that's on STEAM

Is it playable? What is max resolution and is there widescreen support?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Processor:1.8 GHz Processor
    Memory:2 GB RAM
    Graphics:3D graphics card
    DirectX®:9.0c
    Hard Drive:2 GB HD space
    Additional:Patched to version 2.4

ffs need to upgrade or will i run it with 7870 instead of a 3d card?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ffs need to upgrade or will i run it with 7870fangledof a 3d card?

Its the old school defination of 3D as in "not tetris" rather than the modern glasses wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'll load it up shortly and tell you the settings

edit : mine , from GoG , 1680 x 1050 in the options menu , also has 1600x900, 2 highest resolutions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

http://imgur.com/a/1BjFg

saw this posted elsewhere, list of mods + images in the link above. Not bad for a 14 year old game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

for a lot cheaper too.

And drm free. Why anyone would pick steam over gog boggles my mind! Classic game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And drm free. Why anyone would pick steam over gog boggles my mind! Classic game though!

Ease of access, ease of use, management for an entire digital library of games, installed on your machine or not. Online and offline access with excellent social and store functions and the best sales in digital media.

Yes steam sucks the big one alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Big Knox wrote: »
    Ease of access, ease of use, management for an entire digital library of games, installed on your machine or not. Online and offline access with excellent social and store functions and the best sales in digital media.

Yeah, cos that's what he said. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Playing fine for me at 1920 x 1080.

3wayswitch wrote: »
    Playing fine for me at 1920 x 1080.

With no mods? Or is there some sort of easy install.exe type mod out there?

Wount be touching Steam version so.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141

are all the issues with the main game itself or with the mods/multiplayer? All I want is to play the basic game. Iv'e looked online but can't find a straight answer.

are all the issues with the main game itself or with the mods/multiplayer? All I want is to play the basic game. Iv'e looked online but can't find a straight answer.

Well, I just got GOG version and blasted all mods that enchant visuals. Its very easy and not anal like minecraft mods are.

GOG even did a very good explanation and direct links to mods:

http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_system_shock_2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Big Knox wrote: »

Eh I like steam a freakin lot. But gog has ease of access and use and management of my library (installed or not) and a great community aspect as well as drm free installers. Both are great digital distributors but my preference will always be to the drm free alternative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's $10 on GOG compared to less than £5 on Steam making it an easy choice for me. I've been able to mod if with no difficulty either. As Shadowhearth says, it's easy.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Saw it last night, I was clicking on the "I agree to terms/conditions" box by the time my mind caught up with my body. My monitor only goes as far as 1440x900 and I didn't bother installing any mods to pretty it up before diving in. Still freaked me out several times before I'd even gotten down to Engineering. Masterfully crafted game, is SS2.

Sarky wrote: »
    Saw it last night, I was clicking on the "I agree to terms/conditions" box by the time my mind caught up with my body. My monitor only goes as far as 1440x900 and I didn't bother installing any mods to pretty it up before diving in. Still freaked me out several times before I'd even gotten down to Engineering. Masterfully crafted game, is SS2.

So no problems or issues with it?

There was a small thing about some of the sound not working, but the solution was already on the Steam forum when I went to look for it. It was just a case of installing the OpenAL driver. No problems at all since, graphically perfect, sound is crisp, the hybrids still creep me the f*ck out with their screaming "Kiiiiiiiiil meeeeeeee!" as they charge at you with a pipe wrench...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The price seems to high for the age of the game. One problem with steam is that if you are disconnected from the internet for over two weeks your games stop working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

8 quid is a grand price for most games, never played this before myself but after watching some videos it looks class

It's Bioshock, but with actually creepy bits and a proper RPG style progression. And an actual difficulty curve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sarky wrote: »
    There was a small thing about some of the sound not working, but the solution was already on the Steam forum when I went to look for it. It was just a case of installing the OpenAL driver. No problems at all since, graphically perfect, sound is crisp, the hybrids still creep me the f*ck out with their screaming "Kiiiiiiiiil meeeeeeee!" as they charge at you with a pipe wrench...

I had the same problem but I never thought to google it. Just went onto the PC Gaming wiki and it said installing to the Program Files folder causes a lot of problems. A reinstall soon sorted me out.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing it at the moment as well, though i got the GOG version as i can't download from Steam in work. Installed a few mods to make it nicer, as well as they high quality music, and it's as brilliant as i remember. The main grunt enemies are creepy, the monkeys are as annoying as i remember (hate hearing them in the distance) and Xerxes sounds insane.

Definitely, one of the best games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

is it compatible with the xbox game pad?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sweetie wrote: »
    is it compatible with the xbox game pad?

You really don't want to play it with a gamepad, the interface relies on a lot of point and click interaction, it just wouldn't work with a gamepad.

Advertisement