Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnet sales guy wtf

• 20-12-2014 4:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭

I am currently on an adsl2 24 mbs magnet broadband connection in the Stepaside area and because of the quality of my line and the distance to the exchange I actually only get 10 mbs. if I upgrade to the 100mbs fibre service I will only get 30mbs. I said Grand I said just upgrade me to the 24mbs fibre and he said that's what I am already on, the 24mbs fibre isn't actually fibre they are selling it's actually adsl2. The difference is the 24 mbs service they are selling is connected to the telegraph pole where the 100mbs service is connected to the cabinet outside the house.! Why the hell then does the website advertise it as "fatpipe 24mbs fibre"? Is he telling me porkies? Or is the website telling me porkies?

http://www.magnet.ie/products/fatpipe-24/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

It's worth keeping in mind that *Every* broadband connection From UPC to Eircom dialup have fiber incorporated at some point, so marketing team & sales people describe them as "Fiber Powered" or some such Marketing speak that doesn't actually mean anything unless you have a fiber optic cable running to your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭DRice

johnciall wrote: »
    It's worth keeping in mind that *Every* broadband connection From UPC to Eircom dialup have fiber incorporated at some point, so marketing team & sales people describe them as "Fiber Powered" or some such Marketing speak that doesn't actually mean anything unless you have a fiber optic cable running to your house.
    Ok so, can anyone who recently signed up to the fatpipe 24 tell me if they are connected to the cabinet or a telegraph pole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

DRice wrote: »
    Ok so, can anyone who recently signed up to the fatpipe 24 tell me if they are connected to the cabinet or a telegraph pole?

Rubbish terminology (if that's exactly what you were told) from Magnet.

The "up to" 100Mbps service is equivalent to Eircom's "eFibre" where your phone line leaves the house and is connected to a street cabinet nearby. That street cabinet is then connected via fibre back to the exchange.

Whereas the up to 24Mbps service is where your phone line leaves the house and (especially in urban areas) is often connected to a similar street cabinet nearby, but then is just onward connected, back to the exchange, via traditional copper wire.

The only difference is that fibre is brought closer to your home, meaning faster DSL speeds for some.

For now, even if your local street cabinet has been upgraded for eFibre / 100Mbps fat pipe, you still have the choice of technology (hence the up to 24Mbps and 100Mbps).

cgarvey wrote: »
    Rubbish terminology (if that's exactly what you were told) from Magnet.

The "up to" 100Mbps service is equivalent to Eircom's "eFibre" where your phone line leaves the house and is connected to a street cabinet nearby. That street cabinet is then connected via fibre back to the exchange.

Whereas the up to 24Mbps service is where your phone line leaves the house and (especially in urban areas) is often connected to a similar street cabinet nearby, but then is just onward connected, back to the exchange, via traditional copper wire.

The only difference is that fibre is brought closer to your home, meaning faster DSL speeds for some.

For now, even if your local street cabinet has been upgraded for eFibre / 100Mbps fat pipe, you still have the choice of technology (hence the up to 24Mbps and 100Mbps).

Ok so cheers I will ring them again. Regardless I probably wouldn't get any faster connecting to a cabinet, if it's just connected to the exchange by copper wire from that cabinet? So bottom line he is right I am already getting my max speed on the 24mbs package? The problem for magnet is that Vodafone and UPC are offering the faster service for the price I am already paying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nope, you're wrong there.

You will get 30Mbits if you go with the upto 100Mbit fibre service. What you get already on ADSL2+ has no bearing on it. There is no upto 24Mbit fibre product. Vodafone won't be able to offer you faster speeds than Magnet, they use the same infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Up to 24mbs ADSL2+ that you currently on is:
    Your house > copper telephone line > telephone exchange

Up to 100mbs VDSL is:
    Your house > copper telephone cable > cabinet > fibre > exchange

So for most people, the latter brings the fibre closer to your home and thus much higher speeds for most people.

Remember that Magnet are just reselling Eircoms product here, you can also get it from Eircom and Vodafone. They maybe cheaper then Magnet

Also if you go to the Eircom site and enter your phone number it will tell you what speed you will get if you sign up to eFibre/VDSL

Nope, you're wrong there.

There is no upto 24Mbit fibre product .

That's what I wanted clarified, cheers. It was just the magnet site seemed to suggest there was.

Advertisement