Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding ESX Host

Options
  • 05-11-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently reviewing all servers for my company and trying to organise them, get snmp monitoring up and running etc.

I've found a server that's a VM - I can see this via Lansweeper given the VM serial scanned from it. However, I've checked our esx servers and I'm not seeing this particular host. Normally if VMware tools is installed Lansweeper will pull back the esx host information but that's not happening here.

I'm on a remote session to the server and I'm looking for a command I can run to output the host this VM is sitting on - I've checked network connections and device manager and to all intents and purposes, it looks like a standalone box

Any insights would be great, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Install the appropriate vmware tools package maybe? As far as I know the whole point is that the host shouldn't know it running in a virtualised environment but don't quote me on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

opus wrote: »
    Install the appropriate vmware tools package maybe? As far as I know the whole point is that the host shouldn't know it running in a virtualised environment but don't quote me on that!
    The normal way I'd install VMware tools is by hopping onto the ESX server it's hosted on and installing from there - the problem is I have no idea what ESX server it's on - the main one's I've checked aren't showing up. I mentioned it to my boss yesterday and asked if I could get an ISO for VMware tools, mount it on the VM and run it - he said there'd most likely be issues with versions used - which I'd be inclined to believe but I will look into it anyway.

The other thing is that the server in question has a normal 'laptop' IP on our usual range - whereas our ESX servers and VMware hosts have specific IPs that allow us to see where they are - i.e. normally VMs would have an IP of 192.168.100.5 - so I would know that the ESX box is most likely 192.168.100.1

It's strange because I've looked into it a bit and you'd imagine this has happened before - I have a VM, can't locate the ESX box....I would have thought there's a command I could run on the VM to give some information on it's host server.

I could be missing something very simple here but essentially this is probably an old server that wasn't setup/documented to standard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Yeah I'd be tempted to try that, the packages are here, go with the latest maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

opus wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be tempted to try that, the packages are here, go with the latest maybe?
    Perfect cheers....it won't be the latest I'm fairly certain, flying blind somewhat :pac:

Advertisement