Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

puppy travel sickness

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

how do you get a dog used to travelling in car? got our new little missus 2 weeks ago and she's 5 months old now and everytime we bring her in car she throws up. someone was telling me there is something the vet can give them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This should stop in time.

What you need to do is try and do few things to help her. Make sure you dont feed her a few hours before a journey so her tummy is quite empty. Do very small journeys first to let her get used to the car. With short journeys you should get back home before she gets sick.

Gradually increase the length of the journey. My pup used to get sick in the car for the first month or so but shes in the car everyday with me now coming to work and she hasnt been sick in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

My dog Meg used to have terrible car sickness even just going for a quick spin around town. So we would make sure that she hadn't eaten before getting in the car and we did like andreacsaid, gradually increasing the length of time spent in the car. She seemed to grow out of it but we still don't feed her before car journeys. Last summer, we drove to Dundalk, the longest she'd been in the car and she was fine. She curled up on the back seat and slept the whole way.

Now, my cousin's beagle also had terrible car sickness and it didn't matter whether she was fed or not. They did have to go to the vet to get her something and that worked. But then my cousin had to transport her dog in someone else's car and for various reasons, the beagle had to go into her crate in the boot. My cousin was a bit worried but the crate did the trick. The dog didn't throw up once and now they use the crate all the time. She'll gladly hop in there when she knows she's going in the car. So that's another suggestion.

Your pup is only five months old so it's all a learning process for her. I'd give her a chance to get used to the car more before going to the vet. She might well grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Apparently a sprig of rosemary in the car is supposed to really help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

thanks guys, will look into the crate option. we've taken her a few times in car now. the day after we got her we had to make a trip fom cork to galway and we only fed her a handful (if even) of her nuts before we headed off and she wasnt sick at all. then i brought her in car for about 10 minutes during the week and she wasnt fed beforehand but was still sick. she seems very nervous in the car too, constantly shivering and she wont go in or her own accord. im hoping she will get better in time and get over her fear of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Maybe you could bring her to sit in the car for a cuddle/belly rub every now & then without actually driving somewhere. Hopefully it would help her get over her stress about the car itself and lose her association of it being a place where she feels bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

fifib wrote: »
    she seems very nervous in the car too, constantly shivering and she wont go in or her own accord. im hoping she will get better in time and get over her fear of the car

With any luck she should get over it, especially if you do sit in the car with her without going anywhere and get her accustomed to it. One of mine would bark and whine constantly in the car from when he was a pup and the other would puke. It made taking them anywhere a bit of a pill, to be honest. But we persevered, even if sometimes I felt like a glutton for punishment especially the time the puking happened a few days after we got the car valeted! But now, they both hop into the back seat very quickly and have a "Whoo! Road Trip!" look about them and it's great.

I found putting in a few blankets on the back seat for them to lie on made a difference so if they got a bit cold, I could cover them up. It made the trip a bit more comfortable and they like to lie on something warm and comfortable. Something like that might help. If nothing else, who ever else is sitting in the car will be nice and cosy!

Advertisement