Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

port forwarding through 2 routers

• 17-12-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I am trying to set up an rdp for my home computer. Had it set up before and worked fine but I recently got a new wireless router and did a format of my PC.

The set up:

Internet through UPC horizon.
    Ethernet into 5ghz wireless router.
    PC picking up WiFi from the 5ghz.

At the moment I have forwarded the required port (3389 I think) on the UPC horizon box to the 5ghz and then on the 5ghz forwarded the same port to my PC. I am assuming this is not right since I cannot get an rdp connection.

UPC subnet is 192.168.192.0
    5ghz subnet is 192.168.0.0

Can anyone explain what the correct setup should be ?

Thanks,

Wierdal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I would recommend using vpn termination instead if your router supports it. If you have the upc bridged this should be possible. Should be no need for 2 port forwards if using bridge or dmz method.

Also use ethernet instead of wifi...

UPC router -> bridged -> proper enterprise router -> your pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Or put the wifi router into bridge mode so it just acts as an access point on the UPC subnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭wierdal

johnciall wrote: »
    Or put the wifi router into bridge mode so it just acts as an access point on the UPC subnet

Will I still be able to broadcast 5ghz and get the full speed while its in bridging mode ?
    I would recommend using vpn termination instead if your router supports it. If you have the upc bridged this should be possible. Should be no need for 2 port forwards if using bridge or dmz method.

Also use ethernet instead of wifi...

UPC router -> bridged -> proper enterprise router -> your pc

I have no idea what this means.

Cheers for the replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

wierdal wrote: »
    Will I still be able to broadcast 5ghz and get the full speed while its in bridging mode ?

Yes, you only want one router doing NAT, double NAT will always have issues. Turn the second router into an access point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Yes you will, your 5Ghz WiFi needs only to be a bridge to the UPC so all the NAT configuration will only be there. You are asking for trouble with double NAT / DHCP. I have the same setup with UPC, works great. I'd also disable the UPC WiFi since its dreadful.

• Advertisement

I do have other devices in the house that are using 2.4ghz however. They are picking up that connection from the UPC box, as I was advised to disable 2.4 on the wireless router and allow all 2.4 to stay with UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I do have other devices in the house that are using 2.4ghz however. They are picking up that connection from the UPC box, as I was advised to disable 2.4 on the wireless router and allow all 2.4 to stay with UPC.
    Why not let the second router do both the 2.4 and 5Ghz? I imagine its much more reliable that the Horizon box. Just reconnect the devices to the AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

I have no idea what this means.

Cheers for the replys

Bridging mode just disables the routing functionality, The 5GHz Ap will still work just fine and it'll put everything on the one subnet, I've done it myself several times

I understand what bridging mode will do, there's no problem there. My only reservation is that I was told not to broadcast both signals from the same router. So at the moment I am pushing the 2.4 from the horizon box and the 5ghz from the tp-link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres no problem broadcasting both from the same unit, in fact newer AC units do 3x transmissions simultaneously.

Some units will only do 2.4 OR 5 at once, they only have a single radio, but as long as it can do concurrent you're sorted.

BTW what you dont want is two 2.4s or two 5s on similar channels beside each other, thats what will cause degradation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Hi guys.

I am trying to set up an rdp for my home computer. Had it set up before and worked fine but I recently got a new wireless router and did a format of my PC.

The set up:

Internet through UPC horizon.
    Ethernet into 5ghz wireless router.
    PC picking up WiFi from the 5ghz.

At the moment I have forwarded the required port (3389 I think) on the UPC horizon box to the 5ghz and then on the 5ghz forwarded the same port to my PC. I am assuming this is not right since I cannot get an rdp connection.

UPC subnet is 192.168.192.0
    5ghz subnet is 192.168.0.0

Can anyone explain what the correct setup should be ?

Thanks,

Wierdal

enable fullcone NAT on the modem

Advertisement