Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To build a new or simply upgrade

Options
  • 26-08-2015 12:22pm

156468.jpg

So the above is what currently sits inside my tower and it's starting to show its age a little and I'm thinking that now may be the time to build anew or simply to upgrade. The I5 I currently have is the one above what's in the image. I wouldn't need a keyboard, mouse, monitor or a copy of windows and would ideally keep the case I have now. I'd be looking at a budget of 1,000 to 1,300 but would like to keep it lower. Ideally I want it for high end gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'd upgrade the gpu now, gtx 970 . throw in an ssd.run with that. then see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ What he said.

No need for full new system from what I can tell. Add some more RAM. Maybe 8 or more. Up to you.

Although you don't have to get the 970 or even a GTX. AMD have been winning out on a lot of benchmarks these days especially with new APIs so they're worth a look but given your budget you could go with pretty much any GPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With that budget you could easily afford to get a nice new 1440P monitor, GTX970/R9 390, an SSD and more ram for far less than 1k. Or else really splash out and get a GTX980Ti if you were going 1440p.

Only 4GB of ram and the GTX570 are the bottlenecks, everything else is fine. To bring the system up to date for the latest games at ultra you wouldn't have to spend more than about €370.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

SSD, New video card and more ram.... sorted!

http://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-built-pc-very-high-spec/8735011

This may or may not interest you. Swap your pc and a g. If so Get in touch with lava via adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-built-pc-very-high-spec/8735011

This may or may not interest you. Swap your pc and a g. If so Get in touch with lava via adverts.

Depending how much cash he wants that could be a nice upgrade. Definitely worth considering. Otherwise, I have to agree with everyone else, more ram, SSD and a new GPU and you're sorted for another few years. Save your cash for when that 2500K starts actually showing its age.

Depending how much cash he wants that could be a nice upgrade. Definitely worth considering. Otherwise, I have to agree with everyone else, more ram, SSD and a new GPU and you're sorted for another few years. Save your cash for when that 2500K starts actually showing its age.

Yeah I think better to do the recommended upgrades myself.

op maybe get in touch with skully. has same cpu and upgraded along same recommendations you got here. seems he running games very well.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057483941/1/#post96770791

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I don't think there's any real need to upgrade a 2500k, even today its a very effective CPU. Buying a new GPU is definitely your #1 priority, next get another 4GB stick of DDR3, after that an SSD maybe if you're so inclined, if you're happy enough with HDD access times then don't bother.

I've had my eye on the Nvidia’s GTX 970 for awhile and did throw in extra ram awhile back. Think that a new build is more to build one than anything else, been building budget gaming machines for friends over the past while and just want to build a beast.

Maybe treat yourself to a new case as well as a GTX970, that'll satisfy the new build itch without having to needlessly upgrade the whole machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Is the 3.5GB thing a big issue for the 970?

Not hugely, no. It might be an issue if you were playing on a 1440P monitor in the near future, but not at 1080p. The R9 390 is a good solid alternative but I prefer Nvidia because their driver support is so much better than AMD.

About to pull the plug on the GTX970 but realised that rent is due next week and I'm off to Paris and then London next month so will have to hold off a few weeks. Not really all that bad as I only got the Xbox One last week so that will keep me entertained for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

2500k is basically identical to the 4670k and is a better overclocker!

Advertisement