Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan over heating after SSD install

Options
  • 25-08-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

I posted here a few weeks ago getting some info on install a SSD into my laptop and everything worked while installing it but now the fan is working overtime. I though an SSD would put a stop to this but it has gotten worse. Does anyone know why this is or can it be fixed to run cooler?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Most likely it's blocked CPU fan grill inside the laptop. It's a common issue with laptops that are a few years old.
    The fan grills get clogged with dust and fluff so the fan has to work extra hard to try and dispel the heat (which it can't because of the blocked grill).
    What temps are you running now? Try Speccy to get a rough idea.

If your temps are super high, like 55-60 degrees on idle, the only way to fix it is to remove the fan and clear the grills.
    I've done lots of this, some laptops are easy to do, but some are tricky and can mean taking apart the whole laptop.

It's also a good idea, if you can get at the CPU heatsink, to re-apply thermal paste as well.
    I've found temps can drop as much as 20 degrees when fan grill is cleaned and new thermal paste is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Have s peek at bottom of laptop. If the grill is blocked with gunk then get a tissue and dislodge the gunk if its on the outside of the grill.
    Reapplying paste is fine but alot of older laptops have the cpu soldered to the board so you cant easily remove it.
    If power id off you can take a hoover and gently clean out grill. Word there is gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for the tips, I did all those and it didnt help anything. However I have encountered a much bigger problem now. I had to put back in the old HDD. The SSD worked fine for a few days but all of a sudden the laptop wouldnt turn on. It would bring up the Vaio sign and then I would hear a 'click' sound and it would loop on the Vaio sign. I had to put back in the old HDD and its working fine. Is it possible that the SSD isnt compatible with my laptop?

Advertisement