Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grillse on the moy.

Options
  • 28-06-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

The grillse have started running on the moy in the last few weeks but they are bolting thru to the lakes ie[ conn and cullin ] where great fishing is to be had between the 2 lakes with fish been caught with sea lice still on them. Can anyone explain why these fish arent beginning to lie in the river by now

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The grillse have started running on the moy in the last few weeks but they are bolting thru to the lakes ie[ conn and cullin ] where great fishing is to be had between the 2 lakes with fish been caught with sea lice still on them. Can anyone explain why these fish arent beginning to lie in the river by now

Sounds to me like the grilse are a bit late. They could be in a hurry to get up river.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

slowburner wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the grilse are a bit late. They could be in a hurry to get up river.
    they ran around the same time last year but they held up in the river

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

they ran around the same time last year but they held up in the river
    it was around the 11or 12/07 before the main run of grilse arrived last year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Maybe they know that there is a drought ahead and this is their best chance of getting upriver.
    I have seen this happen in the past on other rivers.
    I didn't know the grilse run was so late on the Moy.

I didn't know the grilse run was so late on the Moy.

runs on most systems are getting later each year, and the moy is no exception, 20 - 25+ years ago you could bet your last shilling that the grilse would be in on whit........ever since the runs have been getting later and later, and not just grilse spring runs as well, april used to be a good month now these days most springers run in may. keep the powder dry its time enough for the grilse yet.
    i fish the moy often and dont have too much difficulty in getting to it but if i had to 'book' fishing for grilse in advance these days i would aim for mid july.

the way things are going it wont be too long before the main run of grilse arrives in August, traditionally a poor month for salmon fishing on most systems. rising sea temps and global warming?

• Advertisement

runs on most systems are getting later each year, and the moy is no exception, 20 - 25+ years ago you could bet your last shilling that the grilse would be in on whit........ever since the runs have been getting later and later, and not just grilse spring runs as well, april used to be a good month now these days most springers run in may. keep the powder dry its time enough for the grilse yet.
    i fish the moy often and dont have too much difficulty in getting to it but if i had to 'book' fishing for grilse in advance these days i would aim for mid july.
    Quite true i remember years ago the grillse would start in may but later they are getting, i wonder what is causing this? also, they will have to start extending the fishing season for us to end of october and not start it till march

Quite true i remember years ago the grillse would start in may but later they are getting, i wonder what is causing this? also, they will have to start extending the fishing season for us to end of october and not start it till march

its really hard to know what is causing this....i suppose it could be a few things, overfishing at sea, sea temperatures, changes in sea currents, global warming etc, ....but whatever the reason they are leaving their feeding grounds later, hence arriving at our coast later....I THINK it could be something more to do with lack of feeding (over fishing) and the fish not reaching maturity as quick as they used to.
    the moy always had small grilse but the grilse starting to come up the corrib in galway this year are very thin, they look under fed!! big heads and thin bodies, not good at all.

the way things are going it wont be too long before the main run of grilse arrives in August, traditionally a poor month for salmon fishing on most systems. rising sea temps and global warming?

New potatoes, strawberries and grilse - that's how it used to be.

New potatoes, strawberries and grilse - that's how it used to be.

bang on there.........with regard to the moy, years ago you wouldnt dream of salmon fishing in May or August...it wont be long before they are the best months of the year:eek: were nearly there already.

as for the amount of fish that run most rivers in oct and nov.....they say no salmon in some rivers well how come the headwaters of those rivers are stuffed with salmon parr? Boyne is a classic example of this where good runs are occurring after the season closes. but extending the season thats a another argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DavyDee

Heard the boys in Attymass and Knockmore waters blaming it on sewage running into the river on the Ballina side of Foxford. Ive been fishing the moy for a long time and Ive never seen so few fish lying in pools like the Wood Pool and Paddens. The numbers of fish moving are as good as any year but they are just not stopping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The late runs could be attributed to a shift in the feeding grounds, if they have to go a little farther for food they are going to be late getting to the rivers.
    There are talks of extending the Salmon season to be in line with the UK but more weight from clubs and fishery owners need to get behind it, . Also might be worth bombarding Simon Coveny and his ilk with emails about it, add the spin of increased business for B&B's, guides etc....

This has nothing got to do with late runs, there has to be something more serious going on. East Mayo are reporting record numbers of salmon on the upper stretches of the Moy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

its really hard to know what is causing this....i suppose it could be a few things, overfishing at sea, sea temperatures, changes in sea currents, global warming etc, ....but whatever the reason they are leaving their feeding grounds later, hence arriving at our coast later....I THINK it could be something more to do with lack of feeding (over fishing) and the fish not reaching maturity as quick as they used to.
    the moy always had small grilse but the grilse starting to come up the corrib in galway this year are very thin, they look under fed!! big heads and thin bodies, not good at all.

Seriously, where are you getting this info???

I've seen first hand a lot of the grilse caught on the Corrib this year, and most are in superb condition. Anytime I've called in to the weir and seen them on the camera I've seen predominately good big well-fed grilse. Very few runts or small fish.
    That would be the view of the Marine Institute staff too, who see a lot of salmon in the course of their work, I've heard them talking of a bumper year for grilse in terms of condition, back to the good old days of average 5-7lbs grilse, and they have seen quite a few grilse over 8lbs so far.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Seriously, where are you getting this info???

I've seen first hand a lot of the grilse caught on the Corrib this year, and most are in superb condition. Anytime I've called in to the weir and seen them on the camera I've seen predominately good big well-fed grilse. Very few runts or small fish.
    That would be the view of the Marine Institute staff too, who see a lot of salmon in the course of their work, I've heard them talking of a bumper year for grilse in terms of condition, back to the good old days of average 5-7lbs grilse, and they have seen quite a few grilse over 8lbs so far.

well i was there quite recently and a lot of the fish are small and thin the one i got was quite thin and the few other fish that were caught were also very small aswell.....i will be there again soon so as you say hopefully some better ones about.

DavyDee wrote: »
    This has nothing got to do with late runs, there has to be something more serious going on. East Mayo are reporting record numbers of salmon on the upper stretches of the Moy!

read all reports, no matter who compiles them, with an open mind.

DavyDee wrote: »
    if there is sewage flowing into the river then the fisheries board should be notified about it regardless if this is the cause or not

if there is sewage flowing into the river then the fisheries board should be notified about it regardless if this is the cause or not

This is common knowledge! Castlebars "treated" sewage goes into lough conn, ironically this is where Ballina gets its drinking water. This combined with dumping and agricultural practices there has been a rise in the amount of algae in the lake and has hindered the trout fishing in a big way!

As for the sewage system in Ballina, it is so old and built for half the population it now holds, the town council in ballina dont know which are the storm drains and which are the sewage drains. So whenever theres a big flood or a high tide they open both. The traditional beat which was given to the locals between the lower bridge and murphy bros is full of tampons, kids reeling them its disgusting. Jack Charlton spoke to the Sunday world afew years back about this and he was told shut his mouth or no more free fishing!

Advertisement