Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Rod, suugestions please.

Options
  • 27-06-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got a sticky situation, I got a lend of a rod off my Fiancés father, A 9 foot 4 piece fly rod. I was out on the lakes saturday and low an behold, snapped the top eye off about 2 - 3 inchs down. the piece of the rod itself went for a swim an so im left with a topless rod.

Any suggestions on how to or where to start to get this repaird.

Would you reccomend a new rod, or repair job.?

Cheers in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

unfortunately you can't really repair the break. you could simply place a new tip ring on the top, but it would compromise the action of the rod a bit. i would try and get the tip section replaced.
    what make is it? some companys are excellent in replacing broken sections.

best bet is to ring your local tackle shop and ask how much it is to replace. if they aren't keen on helping you out i would give southside angling a call. they'll be able to tell you how much it will cost/how long you will be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

It's simple, no shortcuts, buy a new top section. Any and i mean any fisherman will deck a repair. Rod action completely changes. Order the new tip exactly replacing the broken one then own up. It's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

cheers for the heads up and advise stevie b, il have a look into the local tackle shop, as it happend late sat night i havent had a chance to ring them to find out.

And dessierb, Either way its all gud the father in law is grand about it.. i told him that night so the owning up part of that conversation was unnessesary.. thanks anyway for your response.

Thanks a mil lads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I have done this a few times myself.
    Put a top eye on the end.
    The action will stiffen slightly and the rod may cast better than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Cheers Jett, il throw me hand a that.. im sure its worth a go. :) sound job wasnt sure if it would be worth keeping the rod or jus getting a new one. Its all the same.. anything is better than nothing.

thanks again for the info,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Out of curiosity how did you loose the rod tip?
    Did the tip not just slide down the fly line and get caught in one of the flies?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Unless you really know what your doing do not try and replace tip. What make and size is the rod. you could get a replacement top section for small money. I buy all my stuff off a Scottish shop. usually 30 to 40% cheaper. Get back to me on the make and model of rod.

Advertisement