Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free fishing in wicklow

Options
  • 22-06-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I'm just wondering is there any lakes or rivers in Wicklow that you don't need a permit for fly fishing on and would be suitable for a beginner? I was thinking of the avanmore? As far as I can tell you only need a permit from Clara Lara on? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

http://fishwicklow.ie/rathdrum.home.html

DAY TICKETS 2011 Includes public liability and personal accident insurance

1 DAY €5, 3 DAY €10 7 DAY €20
    16 years and under must have a day ticket but it is FREE From
    -Murphey & Cahill (Gala) Main Street Rathdrum
    -Jackie Nolan (water keeper) Lower Street, Rathdrum
    -Meeting of the Waters Hotel,
    -Campus Service Station , Rathdrum
    -Tourist Information Office, The Square, Rathdrum

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks for that. I had seen that already on the internet. I'm used to sea fishing so I'm trying to get my head around the whole situation with permits from clubs for trout fishing. I was wondering whether there were areas for me to try out around the greater Dublin area without having to buy day tickets or join clubs. I might be better off sticking to the stocked lakes for a while anyhow i suppose. Cheers for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

mattcullen wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I had seen that already on the internet. I'm used to sea fishing so I'm trying to get my head around the whole situation with permits from clubs for trout fishing. I was wondering whether there were areas for me to try out around the greater Dublin area without having to buy day tickets or join clubs. I might be better off sticking to the stocked lakes for a while anyhow i suppose. Cheers for taking the time to reply.

Join the dodder anglers it's only 10 euros for the year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

mattcullen wrote: »
    I'm just wondering is there any lakes or rivers in Wicklow that you don't need a permit for fly fishing on and would be suitable for a beginner? I was thinking of the avanmore? As far as I can tell you only need a permit from Clara Lara on? Thanks in advance.

With the exception of Roundwood & Blessington reservoirs I believe all the lakes in Wicklow are free fishing. This does not guarantee a right of access though and should be verified with the landowner where possible. And in some cases access can be difficult or dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

thanks all, yeah was thinking of giving Kellys Lough a try sometime. Bit of a walk but nice scenery anyhow i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I used to go up there on an annual pilgrimage. The trout there are heavier than the norm - 3/4 poundish and golden. It used to be said that they were Loch Leven trout. You won't catch many though!

It's a long time since I made the trip and I am told it's not as difficult a climb as it used to be. But take all necessary precautions - it is dangerous up there. There are boulders covered in heather with hidden gaps in between, it would be very easy to twist an ankle or worse.

I would love to hear how you get on.

Advertisement