Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea shore fishing tips?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I'm a novice to sea shore fishing and just looking for some advice on this.

Does one need to have a monster cast to fish from the shore?
    What would one catch?
    What would be the best methods to catch something?
    What would be the best time to head out to fish, high tide, low tide, sunny, overcast?

Any advice that will help me land a fish welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

neilboard wrote: »

In some instances a large cast is required. Usually beach fishing of aiming to hit a sand bank or the like at distance. Some of the best fishing can be had just at your feet off rocks and piers and even at beaches very close in.
    What would one catch?

Anything really. For a novice some of the easiest to catch are probably pollock, mackerel, dogfish, wrasse. They are usually close in too.
    Lure fishing is probably best for someone new. It means you're always on the move and can pick up even small fish when the tides are against you.

What would be the best time to head out to fish, high tide, low tide, sunny, overcast?

Weather doesn't really come into it unless the conditions make it impossible to fish. Ask where you fish what are the best conditions. Some of the regular locals will tell you. If you cant get that info a failsafe is to fish from low tide up to high tide.

Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

Thanks for the reply.

When you say lures do you mean mackerel feathers and the like? Not really interested in catching mackerel much, although I heard they make good bait.
    I would also like some info on ground bait fishing.
    Would the scented rubber worms you buy in the tackle shop be any good?
    What would be the best bait to use?
    And would one catch something other than flat fish (or crabs)?
    And do fish come in with the tide? (I'm thinking this would make sense but I'm probably wrong!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lures can be spinners, plugs or jelly worms (like you describe - the scented ones). All those will be good for bass and pollock, not just mackerel.

Ground bait fishing baits include mackerel, lug worm, rag worm, peeler crab, hardback crab, razor fish, muscles and probably a few more. You're best bet is to ask in the local fishing shop which bait works best in the area and then either buy some of it or pick it yourself. The best of those baits is probably lug worm and peeler crab as general all round baits but they can be expensive to buy fresh.

You should catch something alright other than crabs and flatfish (there's nothing wrong with flatfish!:)) Do the bit of research on local spots, techniques and baits. Dont be afraid to ask someone you see thats having some success.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

No, most fish can be caught within 20 yrds of the shore
    What would one catch?
    this is like saying how long is a piece of string!
    It all depends on location, off rocks into deep water, you will get wrasse, pollock, coalfish, rockling, conger. a bit of distance from the rocks theer could be chance of ray and flats (if sandy bottom), dogfish, bull huss.
    from beaches (depending on location) flatfish, ray, bass, dogfish.
    as silly as this sounds.. use a hook! if the fish are there they will more than likely take the bait out of either hunger or just curiosity.
    there is no one method that will catch more fish, this comes with years of experience in fishing an area.
    to be honest it doesnt really matter(but this also depends on location)
    i have fishing spots that fish better at low, but fish can be caught at high too.. and vice versa..
    a good general rule is to fish the incoming tide, about 3 hours before high and fish till 2 hours after high, if you get an evening tide that gets dark just around the high, this can sometimes be very productive.

after dark any stage of the tide will produce fish, but the rising tide if your fishing in close will be better.

the best way to learn about an area and how it fishes is by just fishing it at various times of tides and day, i know plenty of people who have read or been told everything they know, but this information will not beat finding out and putting the hours in on an area.

happy fishing ;)
    P.s. if you let us know what area you'll be fishing most i'll put you on to a few good tips for the area ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

neilboard...I'm a novice too but really enjoying it..here's a few tips if they help...

1. Be patient- not just about waiting to catch a fish but also about learning about fishing- learn your knots, how to put a rig together, fixing bait to hooks, casting etc- it all takes a little time to learn even these basics but it's fun getting there and you're out in the open air
    2. Pick a beach and fish it for a whole day (or at least fish it at different times over the course of a number of days)- you will get to know what's there at low tide i.e. rocks/weed etc so you'll end up choosing a good spot and also you'll start to see signs of fish movement in the waters over time (bubbles or even jumping fish) so note those times for again
    3. Get a pair of oil skins- even Aldi or Lidl were selling them recently- very useful for shore fishing- you don't have to spend a fortune in the beginning
    4. Learn from others- try and go out with someone experienced a few times- you'll learn loads

Hope the above helps.

• Advertisement

P.s. if you let us know what area you'll be fishing most i'll put you on to a few good tips for the area ;)

I'll be fishing Galway bay, mostly Spiddal and Silver strand, unless there's somewhere else along there that would be good?

I'll be fishing Galway bay, mostly Spiddal and Silver strand, unless there's somewhere else along there that would be good?

hehe, even better, my back garden so to speak ;)

forget about bailts like crab, rag, razor and squid (even though squid can be a useful bait)
    main baits to use is mackerel (especially off spiddle pier) and lugworm

spiddle pier during a high tide can be very (extremely ) productive..
    just off the end of the wall you can get..
    goldshinny wrasse
    cuckoo wrasse
    ballan wrasse
    rockcook (small mouthed wrasse)
    cork wing wrasse
    pollock
    coalfish
    3 bearded rockling,
    shore rockling
    conger eel
    tompot blenny
    shanny
    rock goby
    black goby
    mullet
    mackerel
    whiting
    pouting
    poorcod
    long spined sea scorpion
    short spined sea scorpion

and thats just off the end of the pier with mackerel baits..
    further out you can get everything from codling to bull huss
    with squid & mackerel cocktail

silverstrand seems to fish better late summer for flatfish and 5 bearded rockling, the odd sea trout has shown up in the past with the rare appearence from bass there too, lug worm is my main bait for silver strand, but mackerel also works wonders there too..

you can also try the lighthouse (beacon) at the mouth of cashla bay,
    there is a big rock that most local lads fish for mackerel, but bottom fishing will get you flats, ray, dogs, huss and quite a few surprise fish too!!!!!

that should get you started ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

What way do you fish the mackeral bait?? Do you just cast, let sink and reel, or do you leave it sink? Thanks

main baits to use is mackerel (especially off spiddle pier) and lugworm

Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me do you float fish the mackerel or sink it, on say a plaice rig, or does both work? And what size hook would you recommend?

Also have to try and catch some mackerel for bait now! Are they about yet? Are the fake scented lug worms any good or just a waste of money?

Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me do you float fish the mackerel or sink it, on say a plaice rig, or does both work? And what size hook would you recommend?
    float fishing off the pier wall works well.. size 6 - 1 hooks (kamazan b940's)

and casting out onto the sandy bottom size 4 - 1/0
    Also have to try and catch some mackerel for bait now! Are they about yet?
    they should be about in small numbers..
    Are the fake scented lug worms any good or just a waste of money?
    they can be good for pollock off the rocks at the back of the pier, use them as you would a spinner, use a leadhead and attach the rubber worm to it..

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    What way do you fish the mackeral bait?? Do you just cast, let sink and reel, or do you leave it sink? Thanks

it all depends on where i'm fishing.. off beaches, cast out and leave it until you get a bite or leave it out about 20 mins and then change bait..

off piers use with a float and use a long finger sized strip..

or off rocks a large(ish) piece cast out with no lead and let it slowly sink until a fish hits it..

Advertisement