Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant blood tests

Options
  • 10-01-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Quick question on behalf of my pregnant Fiancee.

She had her 12 week check up/scan 8 weeks ago in Drogheda hospital where ahe also gave bloods for a number of tests. She hasnt heard anything back from the hosipital so would it be safe to assume that her bloods didnt show anything abnormal? or can it take longer than 8 weeks for results?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Assuming there's nothing negative that they found she won't be contacted with results, usually. They screen for antibodies, blood type and HIV, among other things.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from TLL, feel it better suited here.

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

KazDub wrote: »
    Assuming there's nothing negative that they found she won't be contacted with results, usually. They screen for antibodies, blood type and HIV, among other things.

We were thinking that, so if she hasnt been contacted eight weeks on, it would probably be safe to assume that everything came back negative. They would have contacted her by now if something showed up, or so i keep telling her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

They would only contact you if there was a problem. The blood results should be in her chart at her next visit.

They usually check:

Haemaglobin (iron) levels
    HIV
    Hepatitis
    Rubella antibodies
    Blood type
    Rhesus status

Think thats most of them!

They would only contact you if there was a problem. The blood results should be in her chart at her next visit.

They usually check:

Haemaglobin (iron) levels
    HIV
    Hepatitis
    Rubella antibodies
    Blood type
    Rhesus status

Think thats most of them!

Thanks for that. In your opinion would it take more than eight weeks to get the results of these tests? E.g. HIV or Hepatitis.

I suppose she could ring up and ask!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

yeh they usually do general blood tests that everyone is expected to get that test for the things listed above and you're only called if theres a problem because they're seen to be 'standard'.

but if something was to show up in these standard tests they'd tell you and also if she was to be tested for something in particular (such as to keep an eye on iron levels or something) then they are always very good at keeping you up to date and ringing you with results as soon as they came in. basically if theres an issue with bloods or if the bloods were taken to moniter an issue then you'd hear the results. all the best

CK2010 wrote: »
    yeh they usually do general blood tests that everyone is expected to get that test for the things listed above and you're only called if theres a problem because they're seen to be 'standard'.

but if something was to show up in these standard tests they'd tell you and also if she was to be tested for something in particular (such as to keep an eye on iron levels or something) then they are always very good at keeping you up to date and ringing you with results as soon as they came in. basically if theres an issue with bloods or if the bloods were taken to moniter an issue then you'd hear the results. all the best

Thanks, I'm just wondering do you think test results would take longer than 8 weeks? Or would they have them by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They'd have them by now :) If you haven't heard anything your partner is fine. The results will be on her chart next time she's at the hospital. If she's worried she can get the consultant/midwife to go through them with her and explain them for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

its a long time ago now so i dont really remember, but i know that i never heard back about the first set of results, then i was having some problems with morning sickness and weakness so they tested my iron levels and i remember them ringing me to tell me i needed new tablets and they tested me at my next app to see if there was any changes and they'd have the results at the next appointment and so on so forth, so almost every second appointment involved a blood test.

i was semi-private in the rotunda, so however often the appointments were based on that info- i think it may have been every four/six weeks, and then more frequent towards the end, but i could be incredibly wrong with that!! :D

so that would indicate that they prob have the results and everything by now. im almost sure that it was only when i needed regular bloods to monitor iron levels that i was actually told any results because id need to take medication and vitamins- it was the biggest pain ever because even the phlebotomist could never take any blood, she'd threaten sedation every time as if it was something i was doing to stop the blood!! :rolleyes::confused: although occassionally id get the nurse insisting she could do it herself, only after an hour of three or four different nurses punching holes in both my arms would they accept that a phlebotomist was needed! no matter how many times i told them beforehand!

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement