Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braxton Hicks

Options
  • 30-12-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

hi, i am 39 weeks pregnant and i have been getting braxton hicks contractions for the last few weeks, but in the last couple of days the braxton hicks contractions have been happening more frequently and that bit stronger than normal,,,is this the norm or should i be worried its the real thing coming upon me??? first pregnancy so just a bit confused and anxious.... thanks msp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was always told, if you don't know if you're in labour or not, you're not. It was true for me anyway. If you're unsure give the labour ward a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I was always told, if you don't know if you're in labour or not, you're not. It was true for me anyway. If you're unsure give the labour ward a ring

I was in the hospital with my first for over 15 hours and no one told me i was in labour, after 18 hours they asked me if i wanted to go to the labour ward and i cried, i had to ask if i was in labour, i had contractions for approx 18 hours at 5 mins apart, even when i was admitted for high bp they said i could be in labour (as i was having regular contractions and was 1cm dilated) but no one told me i was.

If unsure give admissions a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Have a bath/shower, if the contractions stop then it's Braxton Hicks.

Or have a rest, sometimes they're your body's way of telling you to slow down before the birth and rest. If they continue when you're lying down it's likely to be actual labour.

If in doubt, always ring the maternity unit and ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

thanks for yer responses guys, its very confusing alright,especially for your first and not knowing what to expect. i guess everyone is different and i might just give them a ring if things continue the way they are. thanks for yer help girls....

hi all, thanks for all of your replies, it can be so confusing especially when its your first and you dont know what to expect... if it continues as it is or gets worse i may make a phone call.... also is it possible to loose your mucous plug and not no you did??????????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I would be doubtful you could miss it. From my experience and what others have said also, there's absolutely loads of it, and it's fairly thick and jelly-like. Sorry for tmi, but you could actually grab hold of it. :eek:

I remember going to the hospital and finally being admitted I had lost buckets of the stuff previous to this, then being told that when they broke my waters that "the majority of it would come out". I asked how much was already gone and she said about 10%!

Ah, precious memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You can't miss the mucous plug :|

hi, thats a definate answer for me so, ha ha,,, i wont worry about missing it then... thanks for letting me no though,it wasnt too much info at all.. i guess i need to no these things.. bring it on.. thanks for response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I never lost mine...
    Waters popped loudly and that was that..
    Maybe it got washed away with the waters..:D
    Early onset of labour can last for days, in Uk a lot of hospitals will send you back home even if you are dilated!

oh ok i guess everyones experience is different and ill have to wait and see what happens for me................thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

BengaLover wrote: »
    Waters popped loudly and that was that..

Mine too! I was like WTFlip was that!!

I lost my plug at 37.5 weeks and didn't go into labour until 41+1 days overdue!

Are the contractions painful? If not you've nothing to worry about

Advertisement