Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On the lookout for a new phone

• 15-12-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey guys

I'm kind of looking round for a new phone and although new to it am inclined to go with android as an os but I don't think I'll find a phone that has all I'm looking for so it'll probably be a case of the closest match.

checklist..........
    Torch feature or at least an app that works with the leds well.

Good camera, would like a closable lens cover but I don't think any android phone has this.

Something that's not gonna be outdated too quick.

Decent size but not too big, good size for pocket.

Preferably latest android or at least updates on the way.

Very good battery life.

Must be hardy, I like my phones to last me a few years.

Need something that has good daily task, reminder and management features but I suppose good apps would take care of that.

Maybe a keyboard but not a deal breaker.

Price range, no set price but can stretch somewhat highish if it'll last me a few years.

lots of other little things but I can check these if I could get a few to compare.

Thanks, any and all recommendations are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

boppob wrote: »

Very good battery life.
    You may want to scratch that one from the list, won't be found in this sub-forum

• Registered Users Posts: 48 boppob

theteal wrote: »
    You may want to scratch that one from the list, won't be found in this sub-forum

Yeah I kinda typed that with tongue in cheek but there's no harm in hope:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

Hi bobpop,

I had a list like that when I was looking for a new phone about a month ago. I got the HTC Desire. I was waiting ages to see the Desire HD on Meteor but it was taking ages to arrive so I just went for the original.
    I really like it, I think it's a great phone. Still enjoying the novely value of the all the different apps and the ebook reader, but after this wears off I'll have a very good phone with lots of functionality.

Going through your checklist here's what I think.
    checklist..........
    Torch feature or at least an app that works with the leds well.
    Check, this ruled out the Samsung Galaxy for me.

Good camera, would like a closable lens cover but I don't think any android phone has this.
    5MP and no lens cover but it takes good enough pictures for a phone.

Something that's not gonna be outdated too quick.
    There's always going to be something newer and faster out, but it's quick enough for me, handles all the apps I've tried pretty well, not really into games or anything too demanding like that so it should age well.

Decent size but not too big, good size for pocket.
    Check, don't find it too big, the Desire HD may be a little on the large side (although it's a lovely looking phone too)

Preferably latest android or at least updates on the way.
    Check, Froyo and possibly new HTC Sense on it's way too.

Very good battery life.
    Well getting about 2 days out with medium usage and Advanced Task Killer. It's fairly good for a smart phone I think.

Must be hardy, I like my phones to last me a few years.
    Check, excellent build quality on the Desire.

Need something that has good daily task, reminder and management features but I suppose good apps would take care of that.
    Check, lots of apps out there to do this for you, I'm using GTasks.

Maybe a keyboard but not a deal breaker.
    Using Slideit and find it good, don't miss the physical keyboard, other keyboard apps out there like Swype and Swiftkey, if you want something faster than the stock keyboard, although the preditive text is pretty good on the stock keyboard.

Price range, no set price but can stretch somewhat highish if it'll last me a few years.
    Around €170 on Meteor €25 a month, 12 month contract with no data, just using Wifi at Home instead, a bit more than I'd normally spend on a phone, but well worth it for all the extras I think.

lots of other little things but I can check these if I could get a few to compare.

Thanks, any and all recommendations are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 boppob

Thanks Upstream, its defiantly a contender, I was also looking in to the desire z but I'm thinking my budget will probably not go that far.
    I'm payg and not looking to get in to billpay so no reduced price.

Advertisement