Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu Vaccine?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ladies...

just wondering about the flu vaccine...

I am thirteen weeks or so and was with my GP at 8 weeks and again just before Christmas for a dating scan, also with nurse in the meantime. At my most recent appt I meant to ask about the Flu Vaccine, but completely forgot!My GP didn't mention it on either occasion... which I thought may have been because it was so late in the year, with most flu vaccinations being administered in Sept or Oct.

Obviously over xmas there has been a lot of news coverage re rise in flu and need for at risk groups to receive the vaccine... and so I should prob arrange to go to my GP -
    Just wondering have any of you had the flu vaccine recently- did your GP suggest it?

I know I should go but just think it is strange that it wasn't suggested by the nurse or GP, so now I have to take time off to go to the GP again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

My gp never mentioned it neither did the nurse. But I was in the hospital before christmas and it was everywhere recommending to get it from your gp.
    I called gp and me and dh got it that day christmas eve.
    no real side effects I was 17wks5days getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks FutureMom2Two-

It's very strange that they don't mention it so you can get it done while you're there for an appt!!

Will just have to phone tomorrow and arrange to get it done so!

Thanks again!

dueinjuly

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and like dueinjuly, i asked my GP about the flu vacine as it wasn't mentioned to me at any of my previous visits. (I was there because I had a sinus infection that spread to my chest and ended up on antibiotics).
    Anyway, my GP said that he could give it to me if I wanted but that they don't offer automatically to all pregnant women and that I could think about it and decide what I wanted to do. I got the impression that he wasn't too keen on it.
    With all the reports in the last week I'm trying to decide what the best thing to do is. I'm concerned, especially since it emerged that there was high levels of mercury in the vacine last year......what will they discover about the vacine this time next year? How well has it been tested etc?? I really didn't want to take the antibiotic in the first place and don't like the idea of taking more medication. But then if I don't get...............???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm actually astounded at the silence over swine flu in the clinics this year. It was all anyone talked about last year, and on the news at the weekend there was a report on how it is accelerating again.

I personally know a woman who was hospitalised with swine flu last year while heavily pregnant. She had breathing problems and her temperature was so high they almost had to give her a section. Thankfully she recovered.

I got both the seasonal and swine flu vaccines last year while pregnant.

Actually RE the mercury, there is more in a can of tuna than in the vaccine last year, so you were misinformed about there being a high level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I got my flu vaccine back in October, no hesitation as I am both pregnant and I work in a hospital so our patients are an at risk population. Swine flu doesn't seem to have hit here at all this year so far but I remember it well from last winter. We had the 1st case in the US, a Mexican child who crossed the border for medical treatment. My husband was on a paediatric surgery rotation that month and they had a lot of very ill kids and a few who didn't make it (as surgeons they were putting lots of kids on ecmo).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I got the swine flu jab last year and the regular flu jab this year - am glad that they are reccomending pregnant women to get it as going around worrying that you could get the flu is not nice. I was exposed to swine flu this year after the jab and was fine, I hate to think what might have happened had I not been vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

My partners manager was diagnosed with swine flu today. I am 5 wks 2d. Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got the swine flu/seasonal flu jab in October as my doctor recommended it. AFAIK, the HSE are now advising pregnant women to get it so I don't understand why doctors aren't following their lead?

Jinxi there's no point in worrying yourself unnecessarily unless you start to display signs of the swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Spoke to my gyne about the vaccine today and he recommended it. I rang my GP to make an appointment to get it and was told they are out of it and won't be getting the vaccine back in stock until the 17th of January!! What do I do now???

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi again!

When pregnant I think it's always a worry to put any chemicals into our bodies (vaccines or antibiotics etc), but as I understand it from media coverage (and I could be wrong) the vaccine is good for baby after birth too... because the antibodies pass through to baby, especially if you choose to breastfeed... so I'm gonna go ahead and get it! (fingers crossed GP has some stock now!!)

Also, I'm nearly 100% sure that I heard in some media coverage that there is no mercury in this year's vaccine!

dueinjuly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Does it cost? Heard them recommending pregnant women to get it on the news on Today FM at 9. Apparently, the amount of people with flu has doubled this week and around 80% of them are confirmed swine flu cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Mine was free as part of my combined care

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My partner got her vaccine last week while at the GP for a checkup. She mentioned it herself and the GP just said he completely forgot to mention it to her. Anyway she got it there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Our GP is charging €30 for 'administration' of the vaccine :eek: not impressed. still jury out on this one, will get oh to have it tho, and will think over weekend for myself.
    called HSE re availability from other sources, and sorry you will have to pay what the gp charges, not covered in any other way and not included in combined care, and not available at maternity hospitals.
    Will have to call gp because i am not paying €60 for 2 free vaccines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

After a lot of thought and weighing up the pros and cons I decided not to get the vaccine, I've never been vaccinated against anything and I don't think it would be a good idea to start experimenting with vaccines when I'm pregnant, I've no idea how I would react to the vaccine and I'd rather take my chances with the flu, which I've generally resisted contracting other years even when exposed to it in work etc (I've had the flu once, when I was 16).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Actually RE the mercury, there is more in a can of tuna than in the vaccine last year, so you were misinformed about there being a high level
    Not just that but its not methyl mercury (the mercury that stays in your body) its ethyl mercury - completely different - they should really change its name since once people hear "Mercury" they panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Squiggler wrote: »
    After a lot of thought and weighing up the pros and cons I decided not to get the vaccine, I've never been vaccinated against anything and I don't think it would be a good idea to start experimenting with vaccines when I'm pregnant, I've no idea how I would react to the vaccine and I'd rather take my chances with the flu, which I've generally resisted contracting other years even when exposed to it in work etc (I've had the flu once, when I was 16).
    If you look at the risk of reaction to the flu vaccine vs the risk of contracting the swine flu (or the other flu's) I think you will find that the risk is much much higher in not getting vaccinated. 5,400 cases diagnosed this week alone.

In total agreement, had the flu last 11 yrs ago and have resisted since. spoke to gp today and she said she completely understood my hesitation, and she would prob be of the same mind if she were 34 wks gone too. 'there is no long term research on the affects' to quote her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

lynski wrote: »
    In total agreement, had the flu last 11 yrs ago and have resisted since. spoke to gp today and she said she completely understood my hesitation, and she would prob be of the same mind if she were 34 wks gone too. 'there is no long term research on the affects' to quote her.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like there is a lot of pressure to have it because of pregnancy, in my case none of the pressure is coming from anyone who could be even remotely considered an interested party. Hubby, parents, midwife, gp all supportive of my choice. Mere acquaintances and work colleagues, strangers on the internet ;) ... highly critical. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

We were the same - Mrs. WD didn't want it, never had seasonal flu jab, etc... The reason she got it in the end was consultant telling us that immunity is passed on the baby (and no vaccination until 6 month old). As baby is due this week and flu cases on the rise, we decided to what we think is best for baby and give it protection for the first 6 month (and then see what to do next year)
    She was 37 weeks when she got vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Is the vaccine free? I read on HSE website that vaccination and administration should be free but my GP wants to charge €25! Is this right??

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Winnie wrote: »
    Is the vaccine free? I read on HSE website that vaccination and administration should be free but my GP wants to charge €25! Is this right??

Vaccine was free, but GP charged us for €30 GP visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I paid €30 last week for flu vaccine

HSE helpline told me that vaccine is free but gps can charge whatever admin charge they want. i called around a few near me and 20 to 35 euros is the charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Got vaccine straight yesterday after finding out on Thursday I was pregnant- apparently it wasn't recommended during the first trimester last year (I'm 7 weeks + 2d now), but is recommended at any stage this year.

No reaction etc apart from a slight pain in my arm- feels like i bumped into something, but that's it.

Never bothered to get any other vaccines before (apart from the ones i got when i was a kid, and had to get hep C for where I work), but really didn't think it was worth the much higher risk of contracting swine flu!!

Advertisement