Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is this forum over-run with snobs?

Options
  • 30-12-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I'm really amazed at the hostile attitude and snobbery from some of the people on this forum.

It's like a gauntlet of holier-than-thou types keen to attack, troll and shill their way into some glee-like state.

You lot who are like this can kiss my ass cause I'm done with this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hi Watch Ryder,

Son, I wish you nothing but the very best in all things, but, considering that you bared your soul by submitting your writing to this forum, and the unfortunate ensuing angst that you and others also exchanged due to no parties being able to see beyond the mechanical spelling, grammar, and punctuation display, not dissimilar to prejudging a piece of huckleberry pie being plonked on the table, the edge of the crust broken off, lying ski-whiff like a broken ear lying on the floor beside a stone cold Mr. Tumnus, the fork embedded vertically in the main surface crust, rather than being carefully placed beside the piece of pie - the plate, rattling to a stop like a coin dropped from above, spinning and and settling on the table as the server's hand tosses the most excellent pie at you, rather than for you, I would suggest looking beyond the seemingly mutual supercilious rites of passage into this forum, re-think your decision, and keep posting, keeping in mind that once the pie has been eaten, the memory of how it was delivered pales in comparison to lingering taste of the pie: the fresh warm huckleberries and crispy crunchy crust just consumed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm really amazed at the hostile attitude and snobbery from some of the people on this forum.

It's probably because you're a rubbish writer, and a rubbish poster, and because you have absolutely no interpersonal skills when it comes to dealing with constructive criticism. The forum will be a better place without your trolling. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How can we kiss your ass if you're gone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

bye bye..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If anything, the regulars here are way too polite with their criticism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its It's nothing personal.
    The regular's regulars here would do the same for anyone - their they're just looking after you're your best interests.

In all seriousness, take constructive criticism on the chin, learn from it and use it to improve. Good luck with your future writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Just be grateful I didn't comment on your piece. I didn't earn the epithet "The most hated writer on Wattpad" by accident. I would have ripped you apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Brilliant, I read your other threads after this one, and I have to say you are a comic genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

It's like a gauntlet of holier-than-thou types keen to attack, troll and shill their way into some glee-like state.

This is the first time I've come across you on this forum.

I must confess to being curious to know a little more about you. So I checked out your other posts and had a look at your work on Amazon. I have to say that I'm amazed anyone even bothers to respond anymore.

I was in exactly the same boat as you. Total novice writer, sticking excerpts of work on the board looking for feedback. I think the obvious difference in our attitudes and the responses we got is down to one thing. I was looking for feedback. You were looking for adulation. When none was forthcoming you fell headlong into the trap of taking critique to heart and assuming that it was an attack on you personally. The irony being that your negative reaction has now turned the criticism into personal attacks. Which makes sense. Your behaviour is what people are responding to now.

I have had a great experience posting on this board. I'm not a good writer. Heck, I'm probably not even an ok writer, but with the feedback and criticisms I got from the members of this forum I know I am getting better.

Some of the board members were kind enough to review my work on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I was directed to a very terrible audio book that was online a few years ago. It was self-published too. All comments on it were negative. They were typically more derogratory [and funny] than those you received on Amazon.

Then something weird happened. It was published by a trendy new imprint of a major publisher. Now it's illustrated, packaged in an attractive cover, and accompanied by enticing blurb. Suddenly it was getting mediocre-to-good reviews too. In fact, most traces of the original and its reviews seem to have been expunged from the net.

Perhaps the author is a master salesperson. I came across a press release from the publisher where they say it was a cult hit [as an audio book], scoring over a quarter of a million downloads. I can well believe it had that many downloads. It went viral because it was so strikingly bad, and because the comments were funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Let me say that I am really disappointed that you feel this way, and that you are leaving the forum.

When you posted your first piece on here a week or two ago, many people pointed out spelling and grammar errors to be corrected. Spelling and grammar is important. It's vital that it's correct if you have an e-book for sale online. So people pointed this out, which is fair enough.

I actually laid out some points that I thought would help your piece if you incorporated them. Because, that's why you posted, wasn't it? To get an honest appraisal of your writing and what people thought?

Your responses on that thread were a mix of [a] justifying poor grammar/spelling ("not looking to make megabucks from my writing, first comes story, then grammar and spelling") and negative retorts to peoples' posts. Not once did you respond to critiques to learn how to incorporate their feedback into your story.

The real kicker came a few days ago. You posted ANOTHER thread. And it was clear from this thread that you hadn't taken on board anything that was said in the previous one. You just waited a few days and stuck up another story. Which actually saddened me, because it told me that [a] you weren't listening to the good points people had made, and you were just on here for advertising your books.

If you are selling a book, and you want people to buy it, YOU NEED TO HAVE GRAMMAR AND SPELLING 100% CORRECT. There is no excuse. You're insulting paying customers by not getting that right. Please don't misinterpret forum members repeating their critiques in another thread with snobbery. You submitted a second thread that had the same mistakes as the first, what did you expect would happen?

When I saw the second thread I was hoping that you'd sat down, thought about the points that people had made in the first thread, and made an effort to edit the second posting into a better piece. You hadn't. If you had made the effort to edit and fix grammar/spelling errors, people would have been delighted to voice their opinions on how you'd done. You had a chance to improve your writing, and you blew it.

Please respond to the points I have made in this post. I want you to actually tell me what's wrong with the posts I made in your threads, and why you think I'm a snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Here's a tip:

Stop using apostrophes altogether.
    That way you'll have a higher percentage of words spelled correctly AND less typing effort :)

Your responses on that thread were a mix of [a] justifying poor grammar/spelling ("not looking to make megabucks from my writing, first comes story, then grammar and spelling") and negative retorts to peoples' posts. Not once did you respond to critiques to learn how to incorporate their feedback into your story.

Please respond to the points I have made in this post. I want you to actually tell me what's wrong with the posts I made in your threads, and why you think I'm a snob.
    They think you went to a grammar school.

They think you went to a grammar school.

Nope, plain old school in the countryside. If wanting proper grammar/spelling in a piece of creative writing is considered snobby, god help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

Nope, plain old school in the countryside. If wanting proper grammar/spelling in a piece of creative writing is considered snobby, god help us all.

I take it you've never seen the movie 'Idiocracy'?

You missed the pun.

Oh, that looks good!

Total whoosh moment there. But, I mean... obviously I was just playing dumb because... uhm... that's all you grammarless heathens understand. Yeah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Guys, if I write a book about grammar nazi's and I make grammatical errors while writing the book then will these errors be excused in the name of irony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Watch Ryder, long may you continue writing your stories okay, and I have to admit, I too am really amazed at the hostile attitude from some of the people on this forum, but the others, are really giving you some very good advice, so gain strength from this okay, your writing can only improve because of it, and I don't mean that in an insulting way.

Good Luck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

donfers wrote: »
    Guys, if I write a book about grammar nazi's and I make grammatical errors while writing the book then will these errors be excused in the name of irony?

30371424.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement