Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

barone wrote: »
    more i hear about the whole aquilani affair the more it angers me.

Don't get me started! We have handled it very poorly, but largely because we shouldn't have bought him in the first place. One of Rafa's biggest mistakes, I almost wish they hadn't given him that money.

We sold Alonso and Mascherano, and with that near £50M we bought Aquilani, Meireles and Poulson. And kept the change. And dropped about 4 places in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Cut our losses on that Italian flop - a good player no doubt but I don't know what the fúck is going on we just need to end it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i think we should drag that liitle **** aquilani back and send him to the reserve team for the season :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Burn his contract in front of the LFC tv cameras.

I think the people looking after the deal should get the majority of abuse, not the player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Burning Rafa Benitezs and Christian Purlsows contracts in front of LFC Tv cameras wouldn't really work now! :p

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think the people looking after the deal should get the majority of abuse, not the player.
    True but somethings obv not right on the players side either.

PaulieC wrote: »
    True but somethings obv not right on the players side either.

He didn't seem to fancy playing here at all.

Shame because he can play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

rarnes1 wrote: »

Nah fck that in his first season Rafa clicked that he didnt have the right mentality granted he shouldnt have bought him but if a player signs a contract he should honour it to the best of his ability. Its clear now that he has no interest in playing for us, a club who got him fit again and has paid him a fair wedge over the past few years and got nothing in return. True the club has handled it badly but i believe we've been put in the position by the player. Little jumped up muppets get away with murder these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

there is rumours of Caulker to liverpool for 8 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

redzerdrog wrote: »

8 Fooking million?? Sweet baby Allah that's just dericulous.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Forgive my ignorance but, who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,356 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not a bad signing at all, but i don't see it happening. and that's a lot of money.

Spurs are very keen on keeping Caulker, and it smells of a story made up to support the rumours of Skrtel going to Man City, and helped by the fact Rodgers is with us.

and again, NO MORE ENGLISH!

there's plenty on the continent you can get for between £8m-12m and cheaper that would do the job very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He did well at Swansea last season. Seems to be a lot of young centre backs linked with us since about April. Seems to have had a lot of knee problems for a guy who is still only 20.

When would he play? Coates is the one pushing for a starting place, and Kelly should also be looking at the occasional spot, and we still have Carra. So would he sign to fight Carra for 5th place??

i would have thought he would be needed at spurs its not as if they are blessed with great centre backs tbh

cant see it happening myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Caulker would be worth every penny if we got him. Can't see Spurs selling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd rather we put Aqua working with the Melwood cleaning ladies than allow Milan to get him on another loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Can't see him getting much game time at spurs, they have King, Dawson, Gallas, Kaboul and are about to get Verthrongen. That makes him 6th choice at spurs. I would agree though that backs tend to be cheap abroad, Skrtel at 6 mil is our record signing for a centre back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

King's probably not going to play again and I'd rate Caulker more highly than Gallas and Dawson these days. Both were fantastic players at their best but not so much now.

• Advertisement

Can't see him getting much game time at spurs, they have King, Dawson, Gallas, Kaboul and are about to get Verthrongen. That makes him 6th choice at spurs. I would agree though that backs tend to be cheap abroad, Skrtel at 6 mil is our record signing for a centre back!

king is finished, gallas is about 57, dawson was crap last year. caulker is only 20 and will improve imo

Kess73 wrote: »
    He did well at Swansea last season. Seems to be a lot of young centre backs linked with us since about April. Seems to have had a lot of knee problems for a guy who is still only 20.
    Whats the story with Danny Wilson?

Did he do okay on loan? Wasn't overly impressed with him when I saw him play tbh although admittedly he was young and out of position - didn't seem to slot in as well as Kelly/Robinson etc.

Never got the feeling he'd make it and signing Coates has pretty much put him 6th choice CB assuming Kelly would get a shot before him.

Caulker would be worth every penny if we got him. Can't see Spurs selling though.

In terms of ability he appears to be years ahead of his age, but his injury record is pretty bad for such a young guy. I think for each of the past three seasons he has missed a two month or longer period for the same knee injury and has had surgery on that knee only for the same injury to reoccur again the following season (last season).

Take away the injury record and he would be a very good buy at around the 8m mark. Strong, quick, comfortable on the ball, good in the air , and has that invaluable ability to be where the ball is going to be played rather than having to react after the ball is sent there. Rare to see such a young player with such good reading of the game. Plus Rodgers has worked with him so knows what he is like in terms of personality, work rate etc.

But that knee problem puts a very big question mark over his ability to be available for most of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

king is finished, gallas is about 57, dawson was crap last year. caulker is only 20 and will improve imo

It would be quite hard to play well when you miss the whole season with an achilles injury.
    Even if he got rid of King and Gallas(personally i think King will stay at least, redknapp is fond of him) that would make Caulker 4th choice. Id say they will send him out on loan again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Kess73 wrote: »
    In terms of ability he appears to be years ahead of his age, but his injury record is pretty bad for such a young guy. I think for each of the past three seasons he has missed a two month or longer period for the same knee injury and has had surgery on that knee only for the same injury to reoccur again the following season (last season).

Take away the injury record and he would be a very good buy at around the 8m mark. Strong, quick, comfortable on the ball, good in the air , and has that invaluable ability to be where the ball is going to be played rather than having to react after the ball is sent there. Rare to see such a young player with such good reading of the game. Plus Rodgers has worked with him so knows what he is like in terms of personality, work rate etc.

But that knee problem puts a very big question mark over his ability to be available for most of a season.

Was he injured last season?

Genuinely can't remember.

Edit: So he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Would anyone else be happy enough to just throw Coates in the deep end next season if Skrtel goes?

I think he's deaaadly.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Whats the story with Danny Wilson?

Did he do okay on loan? Wasn't overly impressed with him when I saw him play tbh although admittedly he was young and out of position - didn't seem to slot in as well as Kelly/Robinson etc.

Never got the feeling he'd make it and signing Coates has pretty much put him 6th choice CB assuming Kelly would get a shot before him.

Have a feeling that Wilson will be sold this summer. He is now entering the final year of his contract. He did seem to have put on a bit of muscle towards the end of his loan spell with Blackpool though. Hard to tell how good or bad he is though as he has had so little first team football of note since leaving Rangers. My own gut feeling is that he will go on to be a decent defender, but that he will achieve it away from Liverpool as I think he is too far down the pecking order to want to sign a new contract or to be offered a new contract.

Gbear wrote: »
    Would anyone else be happy enough to just throw Coates in the deep end next season if Skrtel goes?

I think he's deaaadly.

Absolutely. He's proven his consistancy for his old club and for Uruguay, so it's not a big risk. And if he has a bad spell, Carra can steady things occasionaly. But we should be building a partnership now for several seasons, as United did with Ferdinand and Vidic up to this season...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

He's a proven international, and a first choice CB for the Copa America Champions and World Cup semi finalists. I have full faith in him regularly starting for us. Needs a run of games asap, and in turn, I'm not saying I want rid or to drop either our first choice CB's (Skrtel or Agger) currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was walking by Myo Cafe in the IFSC and saw Gary McAllister just sitting there. Anyone else see him?
    Edit: Now sorry I didn't take a picture but it would have been too obvious, but it was defiinitely him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

-Ade- wrote: »
    He's a proven international, and a first choice CB for the Copa America Champions and World Cup semi finalists. I have full faith in him regularly starting for us. Needs a run of games asap, and in turn, I'm not saying I want rid or to drop either our first choice CB's (Skrtel or Agger) currently.

Not to mention that Uruguay are second in the Fifa international ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

John Barnes is now on twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/officialbarnesy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

If agger plays like he did against holland for the last 2 games for denmark there could be a fare bit of interest generated in him too, on top of the skrtel rumour. Agger and coates would be a very good partnership! Hopefully that rumour of his loan is gone now with new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

We should nip in a buy Vertonghen if we are looking for a central defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The Caulker to LFC rumour is 'journo logic', nothing more imo.

I would not be surprised if Skrtel was used in order for the manager to get funds in. Thats if he decides that he needs more than is available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

If agger plays like he did against holland for the last 2 games for denmark there could be a fare bit of interest generated in him too, on top of the skrtel rumour. Agger and coates would be a very good partnership! Hopefully that rumour of his loan is gone now with new management.

If we lose Skrtel we'll survive.

If we lose Agger we're in trouble.

If we lose both we're in a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

agreed. I'd happily sell Skrtel if we attracted an inflated fee for him in the region of 15-20million. Questionable whether someone would bid that.

I'd even take Vertonghen with some of the proceeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

murpho999 wrote: »
    Was walking by Myo Cafe in the IFSC and saw Gary McAllister just sitting there. Anyone else see him?
    Edit: Now sorry I didn't take a picture but it would have been too obvious, but it was defiinitely him.

I know that he suppose to be doing an OLSC event tonight in Clondalkin so thats why hes over.

W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Diame in second round of talks with West Ham according to sky sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Utd singed Nick Powell from Crewe. I think we were looking at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Diame in second round of talks with West Ham according to sky sources.

Apparently he has pimped himself with every club in the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Worst thing watching agger play in the euros

Oh why agger are made of glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Coates is already a better player than Skrtel was when he joined us, I think we can survive if he pushes a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Coates is already a better player than Skrtel was when he joined us, I think we can survive if he pushes a move.

That's a very optimistic post, Coates hasn't even played 20 games for us yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Coates hasn't had any run of games for us yet, people saying that he's ready to make the step up are being incredibly naive imo. I think he's got big potential but he looks dodgy at times too, by all accounts Kenny and Clarke didn't trust him. We need to keep Skrtle and our other good players as they are few and far between. Give Coates the nod for the EL and the cups. With the way Agger is he'll get his chance eventually.

Coates hasn't had any run of games for us yet, people saying that he's ready to make the step up are being incredibly naive imo.
    I said Coates is a better player than Skrtel was when he first joined us. Skrtel is still a better option with his experience, but I wouldn't have any issue if Coates had to replace him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Coates has looked fine playing for Uruguay, I wouldn't be worried about throwing him in at the deep end if it comes down to it.

Coates has looked fine playing for Uruguay, I wouldn't be worried about throwing him in at the deep end if it comes down to it.
    Coates still has time to improve his game and iron out the mistakes. Skrtel is at the stage in his career where he is unlikely to improve much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I said Coates is a better player than Skrtel was when he first joined us. Skrtel is still a better option with his experience, but I wouldn't have any issue if Coates had to replace him.

This is not true, imo!! Skrtel was absolute quality when we first got him, straight into the first team! He then went a bit sh!t, but he's turned it around last season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement