Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for a budding coffee enthusiast

• 27-08-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have developed an ever growing fondness for coffee (courtesy of my work place). Long story short over the duration of my last contract I saved all the shrapnel I got from purchasing coffee in local coffee spots and on the last count came out with around 200 euro.

A friend suggested I put the money toward some equipment for home to make nice coffee but I'm a bit torn on what to start off with. As it stands I've mostly used cafetieres and recently an Aeropress I got as a gift so I've nothing fancy and my current setup is pretty basic.

Some people suggested a nespresso (am I allowed say that around here? :P) whilst others have suggested a grinder, scales etc. Anyone any thoughts on what might be a good way to start out?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Don't do it! Run as quick as you can the other way!
    You're standing on the same cliff edge that those who consider 'just a taste' of heroin might be like.

Sure, an aero press and hand mill like a porlex seem rather harmless, but before you know it you are screaming at friends asking 'Where's my Has Bean Limoncillio gone!' or 'I scoff at your blends, give me a damn single origin you pseudo cafinated hack!'.

You'll wake up each morning with those familiar symptoms of dry eyes and cloudy head, stumble lacking co ordination to the familiar spot in the kitchen when you hide the gear. And then the careful preparation. Not a single thing can be over looked or mistakes be made or else to hell with what's in the cup! You'll play with inversion, dabble in steel filters, spend hours reading about brew timing and TDS and and and.

Then in a years time sure it's tasting great, and your friends are talking about you with your quirks and edginess. They fear even mentioning how they milk their coffee for fear of another tirade on how it kills the flavour.
    But your new friends, the ones on the Internet, that wonderful support network you have found who also love that delicious brown. They understand you, they support your decisions and encourage your experimentation with Weiss Distribution. They'll make a joke about upgraditus. Joke about the benefits of having a Vario just for espresso. How you can just start with a Classic and a few at home tweaks.
    You'll joke about bank balances and sourcing new machines. Heat exchangers and dual boilers and pre infusion.

Maybe it was all a dream? Maybe I'm still asleep and the rabbit hole doesn't run so deep. Maybe..... Siphon Filter.

So I say again, run as fast as you can. Don't look back and just forget what you have so far learned. Be complete with the venti paper cup in your hand and the mocha. Be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭dball

MokaPot amd a frother is my favorite coffee. not too expensive either - you can spend the extra cash on good beans and a grinder of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Doodee wrote: »
    You're standing on the same cliff edge that those who consider 'just a taste' of heroin might be like.

Sure, an aero press and hand mill like a porlex seem rather harmless, but before you know it you are screaming at friends asking 'Where's my Has Bean Limoncillio gone!' or 'I scoff at your blends, give me a damn single origin you pseudo cafinated hack!'.

You'll wake up each morning with those familiar symptoms of dry eyes and cloudy head, stumble lacking co ordination to the familiar spot in the kitchen when you hide the gear. And then the careful preparation. Not a single thing can be over looked or mistakes be made or else to hell with what's in the cup! You'll play with inversion, dabble in steel filters, spend hours reading about brew timing and TDS and and and.

Then in a years time sure it's tasting great, and your friends are talking about you with your quirks and edginess. They fear even mentioning how they milk their coffee for fear of another tirade on how it kills the flavour.
    But your new friends, the ones on the Internet, that wonderful support network you have found who also love that delicious brown. They understand you, they support your decisions and encourage your experimentation with Weiss Distribution. They'll make a joke about upgraditus. Joke about the benefits of having a Vario just for espresso. How you can just start with a Classic and a few at home tweaks.
    You'll joke about bank balances and sourcing new machines. Heat exchangers and dual boilers and pre infusion.

Maybe it was all a dream? Maybe I'm still asleep and the rabbit hole doesn't run so deep. Maybe..... Siphon Filter.

So I say again, run as fast as you can. Don't look back and just forget what you have so far learned. Be complete with the venti paper cup in your hand and the mocha. Be happy!

Hahahahahahahaha I love this post :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Doodee wrote: »

I wasnt sure what kind of response I was going to get...but I'm glad I asked for this alone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Doctor Doodee speaks the truth. Your "nothing fancy" coffee makers are already light years ahead of nespresso gunk.
    In time get yourself a good grinder/espresso machine but for now learn what coffees you like in filter and aeropress. Enjoy the journey, it's a long one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Mokka pot and a French press. All you'll ever need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If I had a do-over, I'd spend €200 on a good grinder, and stick with the aeropress or mocha pot for a while. Later, I'd buy a 2nd hand Gaggia Classic in perfect working order, for around €100. Then I'd be happy as a pig in poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Many thanks for the insights everyone! Seems anything but nespresso is the way to go!

While I'm at it, any sites/stores you guys would recommend for buying this stuff and coffee beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glasgow Megasnake

I started off a few years ago with an aeropress, it's extremely versatile so I'd say stick with that for the moment and spend on other equipment, you could try getting a cheaper dripper like the plastic version of the Hario v60 if you want to mix it up a bit.

Scales and a grinder are the key to consistently enjoyable brews.

First grinder I bought was the Hario Skerton Mill, I'd avoid that and go straight for a Porlex, less variation in the grind and it's a better design, quite portable. I bit the bullet and bought a Baratza Virtuoso last year, something I'd advise down the line if you're still as interested!

I bought cheaper scales for a while but after 2 of them broke I went for the Hario v60 dripper scale, has a built-in timer which is great and it takes a beating. If you're feeling particularly flush you could spring for the Acacia which has an app that you can use to monitor your brewing technique, very cool but probably completely unnecessary!

Adding water to the aeropress can be done straight from the kettle but if you get a dripper it'd be an idea to get a pouring kettle. The Hario ones are expensive enough, CoffeeAngel do a cheaper brand called Tiamo that are quite good.

CoffeeAngel probably have the most complete selection of equipment, especially on their website but the South Anne Street shop has a good amount too. 3fe have a decent selection and website as well. Roasted Brown are in limbo at the moment so don't have a huge selection but they've started roasting in Delgany and their beans are extremely good. Vice have some equipment and always pull in beans from interesting roasters around Europe. The Fumbally also have some decent equipment and are now the sole distributors for the The Barn coffees from what I can tell, well worth a go. Joes have some good equipment and tend to copy Vice in terms of pulling in other roasters. There's plenty of choice out there!

Roasters to try: 3fe, Square Mile, Koppi, The Barn, Drop, Roasted Brown, Workshop, Tim Wendelboe, Da Matteo... there's a fairly endless list. All will show up around Dublin at some point.

As you can probably tell I'm too far down the rabbit hole at this stage. Take a barista course if you get a chance, great craic. Most of all, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement