Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainbow sponge cake... Icing???

Options
  • 21-07-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am making my sister a rainbow sponge cake for her birthday in 2 wks. I just not sure which icing would best go with it.

Now we are going to the zoo and the cake will be in the cooler bag with us. So does anyone have any ideas??? I live butter cream but not sure if it will last if it is hot. Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

trixychic wrote: »
    Hi all. I am making my sister a rainbow sponge cake for her birthday in 2 wks. I just not sure which icing would best go with it.

Now we are going to the zoo and the cake will be in the cooler bag with us. So does anyone have any ideas??? I live butter cream but not sure if it will last if it is hot. Tia.

I made the icing from this recipe for my rainbow cake, lovely and light. http://www.marthastewart.com/256688/rainbow-cake - it's a Swiss Buttercream, they use a lemon flavor, but I just added a good vanilla.

Also, I made this in the morning (made the cakes the night before) and left it out till late afternoon when the party was....held fine covered and in a coolish place. With the weather we have, I'd say in a cooler bag it'll be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

What recipe do you use for the cake mixture? I am planning on making a rainbow cake and had intended on making a victoria sponge with buttercream icing but according to BBC Good Food it could be too light/it needs to be thin.. any suggestions?

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    What recipe do you use for the cake mixture? I am planning on making a rainbow cake and had intended on making a victoria sponge with buttercream icing but according to BBC Good Food it could be too light/it needs to be thin.. any suggestions?

I made my rainbow using this recipe
    http://whisk-kid.com/2009/08/say-it-with-cake-super-epic-rainbow-cake.html

The layers come out really thin, but because it's largely an egg white based cake mix they are nice and spongy....here's my thread on it, and finished cake pictures.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84956478

I made my rainbow using this recipe

The layers come out really thin, but because it's largely an egg white based cake mix they are nice and spongy....here's my thread on it, and finished cake pictures.

Thanks for your reply, I had actually seen your thread and your cake looked great! :) Just wondering what the taste was like? I was hoping to have the layers a bit thicker without being too tall, not sure I will be able to achieve that though.

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I had actually seen your thread and your cake looked great! :) Just wondering what the taste was like? I was hoping to have the layers a bit thicker without being too tall, not sure I will be able to achieve that though.

The swiss meringue frosting was delicious, I'd never tried that before. Bit tricky but outcome was good, only the decorating on mine was a disaster as I had burnt my right hand badly that evening...so one handed decorating...it showed in the pictures.
    The cake itself was grand, like a light swiss roll - quite springy. I was looking for the 'wow' factor for this rainbow cake and wasn't majorly pushed on a dazzling melt in your mouth cake, it was for a bunch of 7 year olds. Although all the plates were cleared, and adults enjoyed it too. My layers were very thin, I evenly weighed out the cake batter into 6 bowls.
    If you make your layers thicker, then your cake will be taller:-)! Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

The swiss meringue frosting was delicious, I'd never tried that before. Bit tricky but outcome was good, only the decorating on mine was a disaster as I had burnt my right hand badly that evening...so one handed decorating...it showed in the pictures.
    The cake itself was grand, like a light swiss roll - quite springy. I was looking for the 'wow' factor for this rainbow cake and wasn't majorly pushed on a dazzling melt in your mouth cake, it was for a bunch of 7 year olds. Although all the plates were cleared, and adults enjoyed it too. My layers were very thin, I evenly weighed out the cake batter into 6 bowls.
    If you make your layers thicker, then your cake will be taller:-)! Let us know how you get on.

Forget to reply to this. Thanks for the info, hoping to make it soon depending on college! Do you think I could just do a victoria sponge mix and just make it a bit thinner? Or a madeira cake mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi
    I believe that the best icing for a rainbow sponge cake would be glace icing on top and vanilla buttercream in the middle. Also you can colour these icings by adding in a few drops of food colouring of your choice into it. You can also add any flavour you like into the buttercream for a vanilla buttercream add in half a teaspoon of vanilla extract into the butter before you add in the icing sugar remember to sift the icing sugar first as it can becone lumpy.

Thank you, I actually made it before you posted :) It turned out really well. I used a Victoria sponge recipe and just used thinner layers and it was really nice! I used gel colouring to get more vibrant colours so it worked out well :)

Advertisement