Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gig Buddy Thread!

Options
  • 15-08-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

I floated this in the feedback thread so will see if it gets any traction.

Basically this is a thread for people that are going to gigs, or want to go to gigs, but have nobody to go with.

Im not a shrinking violet by any means and have gone to many gigs on my own but I always enjoy the pre-gig ritual of having a few pints, shooting the shyt and having a laugh. Unfortunately for me none of my friends are into metal and my other half, even though she has offered to accompany me, isnt a metal fan in any way shape or form so I wouldn't drag her along.

So what Im suggesting is that people post about gigs they are attending (ie have tickets bought) or thinking about attending and anyone in the same boat can post on thread (or via pm) and potentially arrange going to the gigs together or in a group, simple as that.

Seeing as I started the thread I shall start the ball rolling.

Attending

Behemoth & Decapitated - The Academy, Thursday December 11th.

Machine Head - The Academy, Friday December 19th.

Likely Attending

Dying Fetus & Goatwhore - Voodoo Lounge, Thursday November 20th.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Likely attending:

Orphaned Land - Nov 6th
    Sabaton - Dec 6th
    Behemoth - Dec 11th

Haven't got tickets yet, so can't say 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

There's a Meetup group who go to most Rock/Metal gigs in Dublin. I know the fellas who run it and it's a good way of meeting new people who love going to gigs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Updated attendance list for meh.

Attending

Machine Head - The Academy, Friday December 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Likely attending (as soon as I can get the kick up the backside to get tickets!)

Sabaton - Dec 6
    Machine Head - Dec 19

There's a Meetup group who go to most Rock/Metal gigs in Dublin. I know the fellas who run it and it's a good way of meeting new people who love going to gigs.
    Re this site.

I had a gander yesterday but to start a "lets go to" event, you have to pay to subscribe to the site. Plus of the gigs Im going to there is only an event for the Machine Head one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Re this site.

I had a gander yesterday but to start a "lets go to" event, you have to pay to subscribe to the site. Plus of the gigs Im going to there is only an event for the Machine Head one.

Can you log in with Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Attending

Carcass - The Academy, Dublin. Thursday September 20th.

Solstafir - Cyprus Avenue, Cork. Friday October 28th

I'll be the distinguished monocled old chap in the corner, drinking Pimms out of silver goblet and having my butler doing all of the heavy moshing out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Attending

Royal Blood - Academy, October 27th
    Mastodon - Academy, November 19th
    Machine Head - Academy, December 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Passenger wrote: »
    Can you log in with Facebook?

I did that, but, in order to do anything other than join an already existing event you have to pay.
    Went to a couple of events in that group a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Great idea. I have some gigs that I want to go to but none of my mates are into my tastes :):) I have no problem going to gigs on my own but it is always nice to have a few people to go with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Good idea for a thread. It crops up on threads every now and then where people want to go to a gig but won't because they've no-one to go with which I always think is a shame. None of my friends are into metal either but that (obviously) doesn't stop me :) I'm definitely going to all of these in case anyone reading is putting off going for those reasons:

Carcass - The Academy, Dublin. Thursday September 20th.

Kreator & Arch Enemy - The Academy, Saturday December 20th.

Myself and Grimey ( :pac: ) are going to buddy up for the Dying Fetus and Behemoth gigs so if anyone feels like joining us then feel free to drop either of us a PM.

Myself and Grimey ( :pac: ) are going to buddy up for the Dying Fetus and Behemoth gigs so if anyone feels like joining us then feel free to drop either of us a PM.
    I took the trouble to learn your name, so the least you could do is learn mine :pac:
    But anyway, as Business Cat just said, do feel free to give us a shout if you're going to either or both of these.

I will definitely be at Orphaned Land now ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Anyone other loners going to Devin Townsend in the Albert Hall in London in April? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tickets purchased for Sabaton and Machine Head so if anyone is agreeable to allowing a stray into their group...

P_1 wrote: »
    Tickets purchased for Sabaton and Machine Head so if anyone is agreeable to allowing a stray into their group...

For Machine Head, absolutely man. I think Im going with at least one Boardsie, maybe more and some non Boardsies too so you are more than welcome to row in.

If that does'nt come to pass we can set up our own group!

:pac:

Just a lil bump for the thread for those that may have missed it.

:)

I was actually going to bump this myself to update my list. Against the wishes of my bank balance I'll be going to 1349 now so here's my new list:

1349 - Voodoo Lounge, Saturday November 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As Dublin Mastodon tickets are like gold dust, I'm thinking about going to the Belfast one instead. Haven't got a ticket yet but if/when I do, I'll be driving up and back from Dublin on the same night. If anyone wants a lift, gimme a shout.

• Advertisement

I was actually going to bump this myself to update my list. Against the wishes of my bank balance I'll be going to 1349 now so here's my new list:

1349 - Voodoo Lounge, Saturday November 22nd.

How did you order your Dying Fetus ticket, Grimey?

I bought mine through TicketBastard on the 6th of September but its saying it hasnt been dispatched yet.

:/

I bought mine through TicketBastard on the 6th of September but its saying it hasnt been dispatched yet.

Yeah it was via Ticketmaster a good while ago, there was a problem with buying it on tickets.ie and I just wanted to get it out of the way so I used them. I've seen this happen before with Ticketmaster, I've received tickets a couple of days before a show despite having ordered them well in advance so I'm not that concerned.

Edit: Just to contrast, I ordered the 1349 ticket from tickets.ie at 2.31pm on Thursday and it arrived yesterday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone going along to see Slash live in 2 weeks time?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Long shot, but anyone for Korpiklaani and Tyr in London on 4 December?

Mine showed up today. And bump.

Mine showed up today. And bump.

Yep, mine too.

Giggity.

Oh, we got our tickets for Sabaton and Behemoth sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Mastodon next week. Anyone else going solo?

Myself and Grimey are heading to Dice Bar around half 6 tomorrow evening for a pre Dying Fetus bevvie if anyone wants to come with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

Slipknot in January anyone?

Advertisement