Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Widecreen

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Frequently does it on RTE on SKY. Ghastly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

In fact it's working right now on RTE Two analogue for "For Peter's Sake".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The Grand National is in widescreen on BBC one Digital but only in 4.3 on RTE two, even though RTE are getting there feed from the BBC

here is a picture i posted during the tests of a widescreen prog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Sparky_S wrote:
    here is a picture i posted during the tests of a widescreen
    prog.

hey !!...........tidy up your tele will ya..it's not a WS broadcast your watching just the picture being sqadshed by the extra weight on top... ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Sparky_S wrote:
    here is a picture i posted during the tests of a widescreen prog.
    How could anyone treat their Sky+ box like that. Mine has a shelf of its own on my tv stand.

Skyuser wrote:
    How could anyone treat their Sky+ box like that. Mine has a shelf of its own on my tv stand.
    Ah now its grand i have it on a shelf with the rest of the tv equipment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marksi

culabula wrote:
    Huh? There always has been in RTE One and Two-land.
    Why else would there be such a facility on TVs?
    It's a horrible solution, nonetheless.

That's not real widescreen switching, that's some sort of nasty analogue line 23 switching. Though I guess it's better than allowing people to stretch everything out to fill the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Did you get the 50euro Note? :D

• Advertisement

Did you get the 50euro Note? :D
    Yea used it for the chiper after the hard work of moving it. :D

Also:

Class reunion on RTE One is in widescreen as i speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

<<Field of Dreams>> was in widescreen on Two this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Its well over due.........

But having said that I think I speak for all when I say, HOORAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

RTE won't be in widescreen. Ye of little faith. RTE aren't as backward as some feel they are. French, Italian and Spanish local TV arent in widescreen...(dough the 14:9 crap we've put up with till now is a bad, cheap choice and really anoying)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is RTE One / Two broadcasting widescreen content on a regular basis now via Sky?

What about the likes of Eastenders etc?

It's all stil 4:3 on ntl:digital.

Not sure about Eastenders, but yes, RTE One and Two are broadcasting lots of widescreen on Sky Digital now. ER, Third Watch, movies .... I don't think there's been anything from the Montrose studios as yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

NTL digitals feed of RTE1 & 2 in Dublin never cause my TV to auto switch to 16:9 mode !! this only happens when I change channels to ITV, BBC,C4 and some of the other digital channels ie: QVC.
    Also on topic of WS TV's, last I got a 32" WS Thomson 100htz trueflat screen TV, it's a CRT not Lcd or plasma, boy can you notice when the digital compression is high on NTL, ..I almost have to sit in the next room with both doors open to see a clear picture, Sky digital didn’t seem to be as bad for using high compression.
    RGds Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

some say Eastenders is now shown in w/s

not yesterday afternoon it wasnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Mossy, Eastenders went to Full for me yesterday indicating it was in widescreen.

lensman wrote:
    NTL digitals feed of RTE1 & 2 in Dublin never cause my TV to auto switch to 16:9 mode !!

That's becuase ntl: are not yet broadcast RTE in widescreen on their digital platform - it's all still 4:3.

Intrestingly I got a promising reply from ntl: today about this...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244939

TVDX wrote:
    Mossy, Eastenders went to Full for me yesterday indicating it was in widescreen.

14:9 two days ago, 16:9 yesterday. just some observations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Guys, this RTE widescreen is a bit of a false dawn... All they are showing is the odd movie,outsourced home produced stuff and Eastenders! What about the Premiership , both the live game on Saturday and the highlights are all still 4:3 when widescreen feeds are clearly available. What about the late,late Prime time ,news etc.... Whats the delay ??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As mentioned earlier in the thread....
    RTÉ studio production is still 4:3. I think Studio 4 (Late Late Show) has widescreen suite, but have not been seen to be used yet.

You will find that some programmes like the Brides of Franc are made by indies and not in-house.

International feeds for the Premiership (which is what RTÉ get) aren't always in 16:9.

They'd be better removing the DOGs until such times as they can make them switch aspect ratio too, they're virtually in the middle of the screen on 4:3 material. They're also too low down generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah, this has been a bit of a let-down so far.

On Saturday night, The Virgin Suicides was shown in 4:3, when there's obviously a 16:9 version available. The DOG was in the same incorrect position and shape.

Then, they had a Serbian film on after that, and they must have been sending a 16:9 signal, because my TV switched to 16:9. However, the film was in 4:3 (even though it had black bars on top and bottom). (ie - I had to put my TV on Smart).

Something gives me the impression that they just got the W/S equipment from BBC, and they don't know how to use it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

RTÉ are currently in the process of switching their output to 16:9. This comes as a directive from the EBU (European Broadcasting Union). All countries within the EBU will be changing to 16:9, unfortunatly we are one of the last. Some of the reasons it takes so long follows.

1. The RTE Bug has to be re-rendered and repositioned.
    2. All graphics have to be redrawn and re-rendered (outputting the 4:3 shapes such as circles etc get distorted when applied to a 16:9 picture)
    3. Sets such as Questions and Answers have to be redesigned or rebuilt! They are designed to be seen on a 4:3 display.

If you look at RTÉ very late at night over the next few nights you are bound to see a test of all of these elements being broadcasted. Probably between 2.00am and 4am.

rafter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

As in Euronews? Who'd want to watch that. Come to think of it, who cares when it goes widescreen. It's gonna go wwidescreen, so just chill and some day it will be there. Ya don't gotta wait til 2am and 4am jus to see RTE widescreen. Turn over to the BBC NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Widescreen wrote:
    Guys, this RTE widescreen is a bit of a false dawn...

When the BBC started Widescreen broadcasting in 1998, hardly anything was widescreen. Idents were, but only in the evenings. News wasn't. Very few programmes were. Widescreen switching didn't come to BBC NI for several years afterwards. ITV was even worse. ITV/CH4 News still isn't widescreen. OK, they were pioneers for widescreen broadcasting, but even so, you can't expect RTE to have everyhting in widescreen from day one. It takes time.

seems to be when they feel like it

Scrubs was 4:3 last night
    almost sure it was 16:9 last week

I thought Scrubs was filmed in 4:3 like Friends, BTW was Joey in widescreen?

Yeah, Scrubs is 4:3.

Maybe next season it'll widen.

Still the funniest thing on TV at the moment though !

• Advertisement

You should also try Arrested Development.

Yeah, Scrubs is 4:3.

Maybe next season it'll widen.

Still the funniest thing on TV at the moment though !

Scrubs is also 4:3 on E4. I assumed it was produced in that format.

Richard wrote:
    When the BBC started Widescreen broadcasting in 1998, hardly anything was widescreen. Idents were, but only in the evenings. News wasn't. Very few programmes were. Widescreen switching didn't come to BBC NI for several years afterwards.

It was approximately six months later, not several years.

what gives

Road Trip was also 4:3 last night. why arent RTÉ using as much widescreen as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

It depends how they are running the services - when the BBC started widescreen they had 2 seperate areas, one for Analogue and one for Digital. Now, things have moved on a lot from 1998 and generally one service runs both platforms, but not always - flick between BBC1 Analogue and Digital and every so often the bits in between the progs are different with different announcers at either end of the programmes. If RTE are testing widescreen in a "widescreen area" it won't be manned all the time and will be undergoing a "bedding in" period while problems are ironed out etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

TV3 were broadcasting 14:9 versions of 16:9 programs then moved down to 4:3 the bastards.

I don't understand why RTE can't broadcast stuff in letterbox before they move to a proper anamorphic widescreen format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

marksi wrote:
    It was approximately six months later, not several years.

Ok, fair enough, it wasn't several years, but it at the very least about 11 months - widescreen switching definatley wasn't happening in September 1999, and I'm pretty sure it was later still.

Not that I'm getting at the BBC. They have done an excellent job. I'm saying these things take time, and RTE don't seem to be doing a bad job so far.

Stark wrote:
    TV3 were broadcasting 14:9 versions of 16:9 programs then moved down to 4:3 the bastards.

I don't understand why RTE can't broadcast stuff in letterbox before they move to a proper anamorphic widescreen format

Because the letterbox format is not popular with viewers (myself included).

According to today's Irish Times, the ads on RTE will be broadcast in widescreen from next week.

Anyone know why it's taking Sky so long to switch to widescreen ads ?

• Advertisement

something i have thought about

Sky Sports has been widescreen for how many years now yet the ads reman 4:3

ads dont bother me as long as the programming is widescreen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Mossy Monk wrote:
    something i have thought about

Sky Sports has been widescreen for how many years now yet the ads reman 4:3

ads dont bother me as long as the programming is widescreen though

All channels which sky transmit with widescreen content ALWAYS has 4:3 ads, for whatever reason - this applies to sports, movies, sky one, sky mix etc. Doesn't really make any sense but I'm sure there's a reason behind it...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

The likes of ITV/UTV, ITV2, CH4 and Five broadcast their ads in widescreen. So I dont see why the likes of Sky and RTE cant be bothered to change them (well RTE maybe as they have just started) But Sky have no excuse.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Lads, as far as I'm concerned. Until RTE start broadcasting, their news ,weather, primetime and sport including the premiership,rugby etc in w/s I won't even consider them a widescreen broadcaster... As for making the ads a priority in w/s - that just sums up our National Broadcaster!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Spot on, Widescreen.
    RTE are making a start, but it's been too long coming.
    The DOG's are dire, and adverts have been produced in 16:9 for a few years now, so there's no excuse.
    I'm not too bothered about adverts per se, but the programme end caps, captions, and station idents should be widescreen now.
    How long is that going to take?
    In 2-3 years from now widescreen sets should outnumber 4:3 sets as the main TV's in the household.

Get the finger out RTE, and kill those DOG's

:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

It was announce back in january that RTÉ's ad's will be in widescreen on 9th May:

From Medialive:
    RTE / TV3 To Go Widescreen (20/1/05)

RTE, in line with industry standards, is moving to widescreen transmission for commercial breaks from 9th May 2005. This is part of an oganisational move towards total widescreen transmission.

In order to assist a timely transition, all commercial copy should be provided in 16:9 Full Height Anamorphic format from February 14th 2005. This is to facilitate the Commercial Library who will need to operate two parallel systems during this transition period.

Existing copy not supplied in 16:9 should be reformatted and delivered to the Commercial Library.

TV3 have also announced a move to widescreen which is expected to be effective from July 2005.

• Advertisement
Advertisement