Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commute Stillorgan to Ballsbridge

Options
  • 31-08-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Am starting a job soon in AIB bankcentre in Ballsbridge. Currently living in Stillorgan on the Upper Kilmacud Road (not far from Kilmacud LUAS stop). Am wondering how long roughly the commute by car would take in the morning, and how early I would have to leave to avoid total gridlock on the N11?

(I know it's not a terrible commute compared to some here but I haven't been driving long and have heard some horror stories about N11 traffic :) )

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

If they give you free parking then drive, otherwise your options are:
    luas to canal, 2km walk to ballsbridge
    luas to stephens green, 1km walk to merrion square, bus to ballsbridge (7,8,45,84 etc)
    1-2km walk to N11, 84 or 63 bus to ballsbridge direct.
    All of these are crap compared to driving but it all hinges on whether the bank gives you free parking.

driving time is 20 minutes - 1 hour depending on traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I drive the N11 from Stillorgan Park Hotel to the Doneybrook church and it takes about 20-35 minutes these days. Its much worse now since the schools came back this week. In the summer you could do it in about 15. I normally leave around 9.30. It would be worse earlier. These days there's a fairly slow moving queue from UCD to Donneybrook around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Thanks for the replies - I think its free parking in the Bank (first come first served). I did try the luas to Ranelagh and from there it's a 20 min (fast) walk. Not great especially in winter but at at least the luas is reliable and I know how long it would take.

If anyone else does a similiar journey please let me know - cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Not too sure if this journey still operates but there 'WAS' a number three from Kilmacud to town via Nutley lane then Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You could cycle in. Probably the easiest thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jpm4 wrote:
    I did try the luas to Ranelagh and from there it's a 20 min (fast) walk.
    From Beechwood takes 1 minute longer to walk, but cuts time on the Luas.

www.dto.ie

1 Depart On SANDYMOUNT AVENUE for 252(m)
    2 Turn Right Onto MERRION ROAD for 611(m)
    3 Turn Left Onto CLYDE LANE for 77(m)
    4 Turn Right Onto PEMBROKE PLACE for 22(m)
    5 Turn Left Onto HERBERT PARK for 694(m)
    6 Continue Onto MARLBOROUGH ROAD for 555(m)
    7 Turn Right Onto SANDFORD ROAD for 21(m)
    8 Turn Sharp Left Onto MERTON DRIVE for 200(m)
    9 Turn Right Onto CULLENSWOOD GARDENS for 187(m)
    10 Turn Sharp Right Onto MOUNTAIN VIEW ROAD for 82(m)
    11 Turn Left Onto BEECHWOOD ROAD for 181(m)
    12 Turn Sharp Left Onto FOOTPATH for 11(m)
    13 Arrive at Destination On FOOTPATH for 0(m)

In winter, you can get the route 18 from Ranelagh to AIB.

Alternatively, any bus (11, 75, LOCOLINK) to Stillorgan and then any bus to Donnybrook. A very few buses operate from Donnybrook to Ballsbridge.

Circleline CL1 operates from Dundrum village to AIB.

46B from Lower Kilmacud Road to Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

I was going to suggest that you need the rare, but useful, no 5.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=5

but the first departure from the Kilmacud end is after 9am, where's the logic in that? There are quite a few employers around D4, surely a bus leaving around 8am is needed.

ucdperson wrote:
    I was going to suggest that you need the rare, but useful, no 5.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=5

but the first departure from the Kilmacud end is after 9am, where's the logic in that? There are quite a few employers around D4, surely a bus leaving around 8am is needed.

yeah I noticed that too....I guess it's mainly for ferrying people out to Sandyford industrial estate? Which is well served by the LUAS in any case.

Thanks for all the feedback.....not many people advocating the drive which is worrying. Am not at all a lazy person but even a 15 min walk every day in winter is a pain, on top of the bus/luas journey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

jpm4 wrote:
    Am not at all a lazy person but even a 15 min walk every day in winter is a pain, on top of the bus/luas journey :)

Just IMHO, but a 15 minute walk before spending the day in an office seems like a bloody good idea to me! I do it every day summer or winter and I can't imagine starting work without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

jpm4 wrote:
    I think its free parking in the Bank (first come first served).
    Correct.

But spaces are becoming more and more scarce in there. You nearly need to be an hour early for work to guarantee a spot in the bank centre itself.

(And I don't think they pay you for that hour:))

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote:
    Correct.

But spaces are becoming more and more scarce in there. You nearly need to be an hour early for work to guarantee a spot in the bank centre itself.

(And I don't think they pay you for that hour:))

I was hoping to work 8-4 if possible (last time I worked there they let me do that) so am hoping if am there a little before 8 there'd still be parking surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Starting earlier should also help to get in ahead of the worst traffic though it remains to be seen what knock on effect the new QBCs on the Rock road have. Probably will just mean the bad traffic starts even earlier.
    I travel from Deansgrange to Pearse St. By car :
    It takes under 1/2 hour before 7:15
    It takes 3/4 hour around 7:30 .
    Around 8:00 it takes at least an hour and some days a lot more.
    By Bike its always 1/2 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

jpm4 wrote:
    I was hoping to work 8-4 if possible (last time I worked there they let me do that) so am hoping if am there a little before 8 there'd still be parking surely?

You would think so.. Bear in mind there are now around 3000 people working in that humungous building. I know someone who works there 7am-3pm, and he gets parking in the morning without a problem, but he says by 7.15, 7.30.. it's touch and go!

There's staff parking up in Simmonscourt aswell though, and you'll get parking right up till about 9am there I'm told.

EDIT: Would you consider cycling? You live pretty close to the place, and Bankcentre has secure bike lock areas, and shower rooms etc..

You would think so.. Bear in mind there are now around 3000 people working in that humungous building. I know someone who works there 7am-3pm, and he gets parking in the morning without a problem, but he says by 7.15, 7.30.. it's touch and go!

There's staff parking up in Simmonscourt aswell though, and you'll get parking right up till about 9am there I'm told.

EDIT: Would you consider cycling? You live pretty close to the place, and Bankcentre has secure bike lock areas, and shower rooms etc..

Cheers for that - Simmonscourt is very close to the bankcentre right? Biking.....probably fine in the summer, winter time having to face a 1/2 hour cycle every day I dunno if I could handle it!
    Starting earlier should also help to get in ahead of the worst traffic though it remains to be seen what knock on effect the new QBCs on the Rock road have. Probably will just mean the bad traffic starts even earlier.
    I travel from Deansgrange to Pearse St. By car :
    It takes under 1/2 hour before 7:15
    It takes 3/4 hour around 7:30 .
    Around 8:00 it takes at least an hour and some days a lot more.
    By Bike its always 1/2 hour

Thanks for that - do you usually go via the N11?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

jpm4 wrote:
    Cheers for that - Simmonscourt is very close to the bankcentre right?

Close enough.. probably a 5/10min walk..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, just wondering is there much of a difference to this commute nowadays compared to when this thread was first made? Looking at doing a fairly similar commute to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

7b, 7d, 46a, 46e, 116, 118 or 145 to Donnybrook Garage (about 15 mins) and a 10 minute walk would be the best option.

Bear in mind that schools head back at the end of next week and colleges a few weeks later so peak traffic will build as will the loadings on the buses. People will take a few weeks to adjust their commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Bear in mind that schools head back at the end of next week
    Some schools started back yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Get a bike, if your employer does the cycle to work scheme. It's about 6km from Stillorgan to Ballsbridge, which is nothing on a bike. No traffic worries etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Avoid the bus, driver changeovers in Donnybrook will drive you mad.
    I'd take the Luas to Charlemont + Dublin Bikes. Or cycle all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

strandroad wrote: »

If you get off at stop 772 outside the depot you'd avoid the change as it takes place at the next stop. The change will only effect you if your going beyond Donnybrook depot and its not that bad anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's not the worst walk in the world either on a nice day :)

I often walk to work from Sandyford/Stillorgan to Grand Canal Dock via Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Thanks for the all replies, much appreciated!

Just looking it up here, would I be right in saying that the 116 runs in the morning only? For the evenings was looking at maybe walking to merrion shopping centre and getting the 47 bus from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Anonymou wrote: »
    Thanks for the all replies, much appreciated!

Just looking it up here, would I be right in saying that the 116 runs in the morning only? For the evenings was looking at maybe walking to merrion shopping centre and getting the 47 bus from there?

Walking from Ballsbridge up to Donnybrook Church more or less the same distance. The 47 is not very frequent and yes the 116 is morning peak only. The 145 and 46a are the most frequent buses on the n11 running every 5-10 mins. The 47 only run every half hour during peak and hourly off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Honestly your best bet is to cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

strandroad wrote: »
    I completely disagree. I'd recommend getting out at Donnybrook Church as it's pretty much a 10 mins walk to AIB. As the handover happens *at* Donnybrook Church, how could the OP be affected by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Correction.

There is NO Number 5 bus route anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

edunne2010 wrote: »
    Correction.

There is NO Number 5 bus route anymore.

The post which mentioned the No. 5 is 10 years old.

Advertisement