Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 45: Chicken Korma

Options
  • 15-11-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

chickenkormanov2013_zps8992ef94.jpg

Ingredients:
    • 3 or 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
    • 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    • 1/2 cup ground almonds
    • 4 tablespoons water
    • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
    • 1 large onion, diced
    • 100g creamed coconut (Pakaks do this, available in Tesco)
    • 1.25 cups chicken stock
    • 4 cardamom pods, split open and husks discarded (you only want the little black seeds inside)
    • 1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
    • 1.5 teaspoon coriander seeds
    • 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
    • 4 whole cloves
    • 1.5 teaspoon garam masala
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    Method:

1. Put sugar and ground almonds into a bowl. Add the 4 tablespoons water and a generous pinch of salt and mix well into a paste.
    2. Toast the whole dry spices until they become aromatic (about 30 secs) and then grind them using a spice grinder or a morter & pestle. Mix all the ground spices together.

3. Put the coconut oil in a pan until hot and then add the onion. Cook until soft, about 10 mins. Add the ground spices, ginger and garlic and cook another 1 min.

4. Add the chicken stock, coconut cream, almond paste and the chicken and stir well to ensure everything is coated in the sauce.
    5. Simmer for 30 mins until chicken is cooked through. Cook longer if you want to reduce the liquid a bit more.
    6. Serve with rice/ naan/ big pile of green veg and top with flaked almonds.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many servings would this make homemadecider? Looks awesome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Sorry should have said - this should serve 4 once you accompany it with rice/ naan etc.

It's ridiculously easy to make and really lovely comfort food at this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Made this today. Despite almost burning it due to watching the all-blacks match at the same time, it was amazing. This will be my go-to korma recipe from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I made it last night for dinner and it was deeeeeeeeee-licious. It transpires that my new chili powder from the Indian shop smells absolutely wonderful and fruity and has a gorgeous brick red colour and is as hot as all hell. We like spicy food and I had to add about a cup of yoghurt to calm it down to edible levels :D Nonetheless, great stuff and even better, my lunch today was solid gold :D

Glad you liked it! I love cooking this as it's just so so easy.

Works well in a slow-cooker too for anyone that way inclined; the chicken kind of falls apart into long lovely shreds which is most pleasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Glad you liked it! I love cooking this as it's just so so easy.

Works well in a slow-cooker too for anyone that way inclined; the chicken kind of falls apart into long lovely shreds which is most pleasing.

At what stage would you put it into the slow cooker and for what length of time? This looks delicious homemadecider will have to try it!

sillymoo wrote: »
    At what stage would you put it into the slow cooker and for what length of time? This looks delicious homemadecider will have to try it!

When I did it in the slow cooker I just chucked everything in and cooked it on low for 8 hours. No fuss, very easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Have all the ingredients in for this tonight. Looking forward to it!

I really like the flavours in this, it's very simple and very tasty. The texture seemed a bit grainy though, maybe less almond paste or creamed coconut the next time. I added 85g of almonds, using some online converter from cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

I cooked this on Monday evening for some friends..went down a treat!! Very tasty! However I too found the texture to be a little grainy..is this as expected?? It didn't take from the beautiful flavour..I'll definitely use the recipe again. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I cooked this last Sunday, forgot to post. Without really thinking, I used my fiery Kashmiri chilli powder, which made for an uncharacteristically hot korma, but it was delicious!

Teeley wrote: »
    I cooked this on Monday evening for some friends..went down a treat!! Very tasty! However I too found the texture to be a little grainy..is this as expected?? It didn't take from the beautiful flavour..I'll definitely use the recipe again. Thanks.

Hmm, mine has never been grainy, perhaps the spices weren't ground finely? Otherwise I'm not sure, sorry!

The grainy texture when I made it definitely came from the ground almonds, rather than the spices. Is there a certain brand you use, OP? I think mine were Goodalls.

I used the ones they sell in Lidl, I'm not sure of the brand name.

I made this again last night with a more normal chili, and it was truly delicious. This is going to be one of my quick staples from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This will be a regular in our house. Made it last night, I swear it's a couple of notches better than our local korma. I think the subtle additional heat made the dish. I didn't have creamed coconut, just coconut milk, so I threw in a whole can and added more ground almond paste to balance the thickness and it turned out poifect.
    Thanks homemadecider!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I've mad this 3 times now and find the balance of flavours really good. Delicious even.
    The last time I made it, i added some veg near the end of the onion cooking, just before adding the dry spices, and adding cooked chicken(like curry addict's) and only simmering the sauce then for 6-8 minutes. The result was a fresher tasting sauce in my opinon

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey that's a mighty fine curry. Just cooked it there for the family and everyone lapped it up. Reminds me a little of Darina Allen's "Gentle Spiced Pork" recipe which is v popular in this house. Similar-ish spice mix in both.

I am a big fan of curries and this will now be added to the long list which I produce.

Thanks again OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Made this tonight with a few changes to lighten it up but good god was delicious. Cauliflower rice with it.

Like I said, it's a staple in our house now. I made it a couple of weeks ago, as well as a Saag Paneer (with homemade paneer!) for that mix'n'match takeaway vibe at home.

korma-saag-paneer.jpg

• Advertisement

This was delicious, moreso because it was waiting for me when I came home from a long cycle! Will be making/eating this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Made this tonight and it was gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi had no Korma sauces in stock (again!) so thought I'd start from scratch. Had most ingredients in the larder except coconut oil and cream. I had coconut milk though. I also added courgettes and peppers to make it an all-in-one dish.

Way too much liquid so I added rice after the chicken was cooked through, turned off the heat and put a lid on for another 30 minutes.

Very good curry. Everyone loved it even though it was a lot spicier than a normal korma.

Thanks homemadecider! :)

Advertisement