Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 10 : Chicken Jalfezi

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've taken the jump on this one and with any luck it'll go down well.

A bit of background first I suppose. I could always cook. Cooking to me was great. You take your ingredients, throw them all together and let them simmer with the contents of a jar in a pan.

That changed a few years back and even more so in recent times with my change of diet. Something came over me one day which made me actually think how processed some foods actually are and how bad that is for you. So with the help of some common sense, this forum and a weight loss group who promote you to eat loads I've adapted what I eat and quite frankly, I've got no regrets.

So here we have Marinated Chicken Jalfrezi with boiled rice.

This is a low fat spin however the low fat elements are wholly obvious and can be adapted as you wish. That's the great thing about cooking for yourself. You can adapt everything ! I also make my food hot. Like, stupidly hot. I believe that hot food should make your eyes water and nose run so tame it down as much as you need to. I also didn't get a chance to marinade for the pictures.

Ingredients

140g Fat free natural Yogurt
    4 Skinless and boneless chicken fillets
    Cooking Spray or 1tsp Olive oil
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 Onion peeled and diced
    3 Peppers (mixed or colour of your choice)
    2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
    1 tsp of finely grated root ginger
    4 tbsp curry powder (I always use hot)
    1 tsp chilli powder (Hot)
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1 tsp of ground coriander
    2 chopped red chillis to taste
    Salt and pepper to season
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    large handful of chopped coriander

298016.JPG
    Let's begin.

Cut the chicken into strips.

In a bowl add the yogurt and 3 tbsp's of curry powder and mix together. Add in the chicken covering it completely and cover. Place in the fridge for a minimum of three hours or overnight if you can.

Next Day

Remove the chicken from the bowl and slide on metal skewers. Place the chicken under the grill and turn until just about cooked through.

While the chicken is cooking, oil up your pan and stir fry the cumin seeds on a low heat for about two minutes.
    Add the onions, peppers, garlic, ginger, chillis and stir fry for 6-8 mins

Add the remaining curry powder, chilli powder, ground cumin and ground coriander. Season well and stir fry for another 2 minutes.

Add the now chicken and increase the heat up to full. Stir fry for another 3 - 4 minutes.

Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped corriander and 100mls of water if the mix is too thick.

Cover and simmer over a low heat for 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is tender.

Serve on a bed of rice and enjoy ! :)
    298017.JPG

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks delicious MugMugs - I'll definitely give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MugMugs wrote: »
    I also make my food hot. Like, stupidly hot. I believe that hot food should make your eyes water and nose run so tame it down as much as you need to.

Oh yeah, me too. Or as I say I like my food to make me "pull a Christie Moore".

Recipe looks fantastic, one to add to the list for next week, I pretty much have everything to hand in the cupboards or fridge (apart from the low-fat yogurt - mine's full fat :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I also have everything bar the yogurt, the fresh coriander (it died :() and the peppers - I do have peppers but they are to be used in salad so...... Excellent.

Oh I also need to go get the metal skewers (which is grand job as I have been meaning to get some for forever so. Here's hoping the local Heatons has some!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Richardstorm

Nice pictures ! :)

Im now hungry after reading that...i like that style of cooking, it is sort of Jamie Oliver gone Indian. chop chop and in to a pan, A 15 minute meal almost. Thank you for a great inspirational chare :)

Advertisement