Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metric or Imperial

• 23-04-2009 6:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Been raised in one or two other forums but not here, that I could see anyway

Metric for me anyway.
    I know my height as 1.77 metres but not a notion what's that in feet & inches.

I understand weight in kg or stones or the American way of just pounds.
    Though I remember getting a quizzical look from the local butcher after asking for 200gm of mince. Had to explain that was close to half a pound and sure look at your scales, it can measure grams.
    "Aye young lad, but nobody ever asks for that"
    A butcher who doesn't know weights?, I'll take my business elsewhere from now on.....

Don't drive often but I switched to metric system easily

What about you?

Metric or Imperial 41 votes

Metric, I'm a good European
    0%
    Imperial, I'm old skool!
    80%
    SpeargurramoktuxymikemacLinkuchopperbyrnegodtabhSam Vimesciaran76sdanseoAgamemnonGenghiz CohenNADAJim236BeerWolfHeisenberg.The DavestatorMenaBlacktie.Sabre Man 33 votes
    Mix & Match, I use both
    19%
    Rented MuleDuffd6anniehooibarelycaredeadhead13AdibooKeogg 8 votes

Comments

Give imperialists an inch and they'll take a mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Imperial, I'm old skool!
    Has to be metric. Anybody notice how much longer it takes to get places on the motorways in England compared to the continent. That's because they use miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Imperial, I'm old skool!
    Metric for everything except the height of people.

I never got the hang of Imperial when in the US, and Fahrenheit is unbelievably confusing

edit: I realised I used Imperial for other things like clothing sizes, but that's because you have to. I saw there's some unbelievably confusing European dress sizes in the works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whole lot

Height - Feet
    Weight - Stone
    Distance - Kilometres
    Football - Yards
    Exaggeration - Miles ('He was 'kilometres' off ref' just doesn't sound right)
    Waist size - Inches

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bit of both, and there is really no logic as to when I'd use one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Depends on the time of year. April to February I'm metrics otherwise I'm Imperial March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Imperial, I'm old skool!
    "The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

Distance and speed when driving has to be miles and my height and weight will be in feet and stone, I wouldnt know either in metric of the top of my head.

I use metric a lot in other situations though as working in physics dictates it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I use hand gestures for every measurement, for example I would stretch my arms out wide in a Jesus on the cross pose and say "He was this heavy!" or "I'll be done in this ammount of time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

That because a English mile is different from an Irish or any other mile.
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    Has to be metric. Anybody notice how much longer it takes to get places on the motorways in England compared to the continent. That's because they use miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Didn't realise but I'm using mostly Imperial.

Old TV ad: "Can you show me a metre"

I know how to convert between both easily enough but a half a pound is easier to picture than 227 grams.

Well I would use Centigrade not so much Fahrenheit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A bit of both, I will never use kilometers. Talking to my girlfriend and her family (belgians) I have to convert miles to kilometers for them.

Measuring something I will use inches, my brother uses cm's. Weight is in stone, don't have a clue about the other weights, it's all bad anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Imperial, I'm old skool!
    Both, but id prefer to use metric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭d6

Mix & Match, I use both
    imperial all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Suppose since I don't drive it's not much of an issue but I was always a mile man instead of km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Imperial, I'm old skool!
    Metric all the way baby! Imperialists are living in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Imperial, I'm old skool!
    Metric exept I say 10 inches when asked about my willy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I mix and match and I'm fairly proficient in both, however, I do think that when using certain 'metrics' for certain purposes, then one or the other should
    be used.

Example: I am sick hearing on the radio or tv about a missing person, and when the media describes the person they describe him/her in the metric form. It should be in the imperial form to
    appeal to the majority of the people!

Now, I know the metric form is used, but the vast majority of people will
    automatically be able to picture a person who is 6 feet and 12 stone or
    5 feet 7 inches and 10 stone as opposed to " The person is 1.84 metres and weighs 81 kg."

Most hearing this simply switch off and considering the smallest of details is so important with such a serious issue, you would expect the media to at least give the majority of the listeners a chance to
    digest and understand the details!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

NADA wrote: »
    Metric exept I say 10 inches when asked about my willy.

You should probably switch to metric for that too so that we can finally get an accurate measurement.

Advertisement