Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Allotment Initiative

• 22-04-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

There's doom and gloom all over the shop.

People are losing jobs, money and pride. And the State is losing it's people.

There's also a huge amount of unused land and a willingness in people to start saving money etc.

Should the government make a pledge to assign unused and farm-able land to allotment designated areas for the good of the Nation?

imo -

It would do alot of good by giving people the opportunity to become somewhat more self-sufficient, it would bring young families closer together and instill a general sense of fulfillment for many people.. not to mention the ecological benefits

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Do you get the rivercottage newsletter too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

For anyone living in a city, where are they going to get allotments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yes. I want an allotment.

Not next to yours though, because you shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I love river cottage!

OP, there are loads of allotment initiatives going on at the moment, lots available to rent in Rush and Wicklow that I know of for definite and other councils are promoting the whole thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You don't need allotment's to grow veg, small gardens or even balconys can allow you to grow veg....you can plant veg in pots, buckets or even buy patio planters and the like

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    You don't need allotment's to grow veg, small gardens or even balconys can allow you to grow veg....you can plant veg in pots, buckets or even buy patio planters and the like

I want to waft around my gorgeous (imo:o) garden barefoot, and in white linen. :pac:

So does my cat though... Hence, no veg growing.

I need an allotment, or a cat thief.

I want to waft around my gorgeous (imo:o) garden barefoot, and in white linen. :pac:

So does my cat though... Hence, no veg growing.

I need an allotment, or a cat thief.

Chicken wire is your friend

Chicken wire is your friend

Well!! That was exactly my plan Mr BB. Lidl are doing a nice line in black netting from tomorrow that I think might do the job.

Lol, gardening in AH. :pac:

/swishes out in white linen and wellies barefoot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Saibh wrote: »
    For anyone living in a city, where are they going to get allotments?

Unused land in the city, or on the outskirts. Was that so hard to think about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Unused land in the city, or on the outskirts. Was that so hard to think about?

Would the Government own this unused land, if not, would they be willing to buy it?

And add on the cost of converting them to allotments, would it be worth it in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nationalise the land, problem solved.

Allotments are worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

In reality, any city allotment will eventually get trashed by Nike squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Allotments won't work in this country! I drove out of my estate last Monday and kids who were probably knacker drinking over the weekend, pulled up and distroyed newly planted trees that lined the road into the estate.

Allotments will be wrecked in this country, there is no chance an allotment would be left alone by knacker drinkers or vandals. You'd spend months planting and cultivating only for your carrots to be kicked out of your allotment a week before you were going to pick them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I wonder will it really come to that where everyone has to grow their own food.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Allotments won't work in this country! I drove out of my estate last Monday and kids who were probably knacker drinking over the weekend, pulled up and distroyed newly planted trees that lined the road into the estate.

Allotments will be wrecked in this country, there is no chance an allotment would be left alone by knacker drinkers or vandals. You'd spend months planting and cultivating only for your carrots to be kicked out of your allotment a week before you were going to pick them...

Sometimes the sun just never shines, Darragh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are you talking about complete subsistence?

Impossible from what I can see; those most in need of a short-term sustainable alternative are unlikely to have the means to travel (I cant see them being located in central Dublin, both for the problems of order mentioned above, and sanitation).

There is a small initiative underway to convert some of the land by DIT Kevin Street, but it is very much a middle class affair at the moment.

With processing, maintenance, conversion and education charges for a small supplement, I cant see it working given the market price of vegetables will likely remain below the overall cost of production.

Nice thought, but I cant see it becoming anything close to its old form.

Urban raised-bed cultivation is extensively practiced in Cuba, which may be an interesting posiblility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

efla wrote: »

The goal is not entirely to grow-your-own, or even to save money

It's also about giving people a reason to go out and look after something that they put time into as a family. To help bind us with a feeling of being self-reliant in the tough times that we face.
    Darragh29 wrote:
    there is no chance an allotment would be left alone by knacker drinkers or vandals.

The same could be said for parks and gardens. Is it really that big of an issue around the country? I live in a rural village that has 3 community parks & playing fields and they're never vandalized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Ah...allotments. The latest Middle Class Fad. Honestly, people should really do something usefull and go back to living beyond their means and buying Property in Bulgaria.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

So the OP's idea for Irelands "smart economy" is that we all go back to growing pototoes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They could be incentivised to temporarily designate land. Be it with tax-breaks or subsidization.
    So the OP's idea for Irelands "smart economy" is that we all go back to growing pototoes ?

Funny guy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

efla wrote: »

Its not that hard. I'm growing my own 30mb broadband at the moment. Should be good to go by September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Yeah and State Run Farming didnt work out too well for them either. Millions Starved.

Farming should be left to our Irish Farmers. They are actually quite good at it you know. (If only they were allowed to.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

these allotments would be a great idea if we could grow weed in them.

Advertisement