Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing college course after 1st year

Options
  • 17-07-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

hi. I have completed first year in a course that I don't really like here in UL (passed all exams). Would anybody be able to tell me if I could transfer into first year of another course in the same college to start this September, provided that I have the points from my leaving cert which I do. Or would I have to drop out of college altogether and apply through the CAO again next year. Who would I have to get in contact with in order to make this transfer happen if I was able to do it. Oh and also what is the story with the fees if I start a new course bearing in mind that I already did first year in a different degree. Would I have to pay full fees for the four years of the new degree. Lastly I may have this in the wrong forum or category so If a mod needs to move in then that's perfect. Sorry for the long winded post but hopefully somebody out there can help me out ! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

If the course is similar enough you may be able to switch over and go directly into 2nd year .If not you will shave to start 1st year again and pay full fees for that first year! best thing to do is contact the SAA and Academic Officer asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ90

Thanks for the quick response. Ya it is a completely different course but I will get onto SAA anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cailin_Eile

As far as I know it won't be based on your leaving cert results as it is an internal transfer regardless of what course it is. Go to the SAA. It is not as big as an ordeal as it may look as there are plenty of pupils every year that decide after first year they picked the wrong course. As Royce said, you will need to pay full fees for whatever year you are repeating. Your best bet would be to contact the SAA, the director of the course you are leaving and the director of the course you want to join. best of luck!

Advertisement