Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How water cylinder overflowing?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I've a vent pipe up by my water tank that I believe is coming from my Hot Water Cylinder that's spitting out a bit of water ... the water is not hot. It appears to be triggered by closing the tap after using the hot or cold tap in the bathroom. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It's the overflow on your cold water tank in the attic. The ballcock is leaking a bit and letting the tank overfill. Since your hot water cyl is filled from this, it may make you think its the hot cyl overflowing. So you need to get a new ballcock and install it, or get someone to do it for you if you dont know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

shedweller wrote: »
    It's the overflow on your cold water tank in the attic. The ballcock is leaking a bit and letting the tank overfill. Since your hot water cyl is filled from this, it may make you think its the hot cyl overflowing. So you need to get a new ballcock and install it, or get someone to do it for you if you dont know how.

Thanks for the reply. It's not the cold water tank, there's a 2nd overflow pipe coming from the tank which seems ok.

I see. It could be a relief valve passing a bit when you shut the taps. Can you trace the pipe back?

I see. It could be a relief valve passing a bit when you shut the taps. Can you trace the pipe back?

It's a little difficult, but it appears to go back to a shower pump off the immersion tank - would that make sense?

The other strange thing is that there's a bit of a judder back along the pipe when you shut off the hot tap in the kitchen ... not sure if it's related.

I think thats the pump to maintain system pressure. When you shut off the tap, there is a spike in pressure that could lift the relief valve if it is failing. The other thing is that the relief valve is passing while the pump is going, seperate to you you closing the tap. In either case, the relief valve is passing and has either dirt stuck in it or is just worn out and needs replacement. I hope this is of some help to you! Im no expert but do have a reasonable understanding of plumbing!

• Advertisement

I think thats the pump to maintain system pressure. When you shut off the tap, there is a spike in pressure that could lift the relief valve if it is failing. The other thing is that the relief valve is passing while the pump is going, seperate to you you closing the tap. In either case, the relief valve is passing and has either dirt stuck in it or is just worn out and needs replacement. I hope this is of some help to you! Im no expert but do have a reasonable understanding of plumbing!

Thanks shedweller - appreciate it.

Advertisement