Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open vent issue

• 21-06-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi was looking at a central heating system, Its an old potterton prima f boiler but the f&e header tank in the attic has no vent pipe and the feed from it is in 15MM...?? Is this totally wrong??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

here is a sketch of what im talking about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

is there a problem ???i dont think there is anything wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I dont really understand your diagram but if we're talking combined cold feed and vent then it should be 3/4 pipe.

No the system is drained down now, but im wondering about when filling it back up will it give me trouble... Why is there no vent?? I thought being open vented it would need to be vented or atleast combined feed & vent and i thought that needed to be 22mm..?

I dont really understand your diagram but if we're talking combined cold feed and vent then it should be 3/4 pipe.

What dont you understand?? And i will try break it down... and i was thinking the same if it was combined..

• Advertisement

are you a plumber??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

If there's no vent pipe there must be a vessel somewhere... Under the floor, under the stairs, in a press could be anywhere. Is there a nrv on the cold supply?

If there's no vent pipe there must be a vessel somewhere... Under the floor, under the stairs, in a press could be anywhere. Is there a nrv on the cold supply?

:confused:

:confused:

what do you not understand? :confused:
    if theres no vent pipe it must be a closed system and a pressure vessel must be located somewhere in the house.... get me?

Sorry just read that back billy... sound like a w@nker. didnt mean to come across like that

if theres no vent pipe it must be a closed system and a pressure vessel must be located somewhere in the house.... get me?

but does the op understand ???going into detail like this can be a waste of time typical diyer incompetence

• Advertisement

sitja wrote: »
    No the system is drained down now, but im wondering about when filling it back up will it give me trouble... Why is there no vent?? I thought being open vented it would need to be vented or atleast combined feed & vent and i thought that needed to be 22mm..?

why do you think its opened vented? Because the boiler is old? The prima can be used on a closed/sealed system.

Sorry, but have you ever heard of a combined cold feed and expansion pipe.

why do you think its opened vented? Because the boiler is old? The prima can be used on a closed/sealed system.
    I have good plumbing experience but not to much domestic.. All pipework in house is exposed so im sure there is no vessel.. it aint sealed.. the system is as the sketch is really.. there was previously a back boiler but that has been disconnected from system.

Sorry, but have you ever heard of a combined cold feed and expansion pipe.

Of course... but the OP said there was NO vent pipe in the attic. A common cold feed and expansion would/should be 3/4, as you said, off the top of flow pipe on the coil up into the attic. Spilt 1/2 into the tank for the fill and continue 3/4 up and over the tank for a vent.

Of course... but the OP said there was NO vent pipe in the attic. A common cold feed and expansion would/should be 3/4, as you said, off the top of flow pipe on the coil up into the attic. Spilt 1/2 into the tank for the fill and continue 3/4 up and over the tank for a vent.

So presumably if the 1/2 cold feed was an undersized feed and vent pipe that would mean it may well not be a sealed system. ;)

As i said on post1 the diagram is vaige.

Incidentally, it doesnt need to split and vent over the tank.

So presumably if the 1/2 cold feed was an undersized feed and vent pipe that would mean it may well not be a sealed system. ;)

Yes im aware of a combined system but it being a half inch pipe made me think something is wrong. and i am wondering is this safe if it is a combined system and the pipe is half inch..

Suppose it doesnt need to spilt but i have never seen one not. Unlikely not to have a vent up and over IF it is an open system. It could be over the domestic tank seen that loads of times. In fairness it could be anything and we're only guessing at this stage! open, closed, vessel, vent, non return, common cold feed and expansion.... Put the kettle on

Yes im aware of a combined system but it being a half inch pipe made me think something is wrong. and i am wondering is this safe if it is a combined system and the pipe is half inch..

Best get a domestic plumber to have a quick look if your not sure.

IF it is a combined feed and vent (it does seem a possibility) then in 1/2 then yes, it is very dangerous, cold feeds block regulary, if yours blocks you have a presure cooker.
    Suppose it doesnt need to spilt but i have never seen one not. Unlikely not to have a vent up and over IF it is an open system.

I'm sure Mr Google will show you a few examples,,,,,,,, http://www.google.com/imgres?q=combined+feed+and+vent+pipe&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACAW_enIE398&biw=887&bih=423&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=o0Sj8aBjUTHw5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2675/I44-2675/I44-2675.htm&docid=iSUH9N4-n0fOqM&imgurl=http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2675/I44-2675/I44-2675-015.gif&w=235&h=228&ei=oYbjT8y8B4WBhQfi-8TbAw&zoom=1

Mr Google :):):)..... Thats a UK way of doing it :D (i am not a racist, i love black people)

• Advertisement

IF it is a combined feed and vent (it does seem a possibility) then in 1/2 then yes, it is very dangerous, cold feeds block regulary, if yours blocks you have a presure cooker.
    Suppose it doesnt need to spilt but i have never seen one not. Unlikely not to have a vent up and over IF it is an open system.

I'm sure Mr Google will show you a few examples,,,,,,,, http://www.google.com/imgres?q=combined+feed+and+vent+pipe&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACAW_enIE398&biw=887&bih=423&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=o0Sj8aBjUTHw5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2675/I44-2675/I44-2675.htm&docid=iSUH9N4-n0fOqM&imgurl=http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2675/I44-2675/I44-2675-015.gif&w=235&h=228&ei=oYbjT8y8B4WBhQfi-8TbAw&zoom=1

See thats the only pipework going to attic.. Storage tank is downstairs aswell as dhw cylinder.. was just hoping others witnesed this an had advice.. See the system is drained and i never seen it work but im to assume it worked for previous users..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your system is what's known as semi sealed, it was acceptable once upon a time.
    I would'nt consider it dangerous, the easiest way to to bring it up to spec is to fit an expansion vessel on the boiler flow before any valves or pump.

See thats the only pipework going to attic.. Storage tank is downstairs aswell as dhw cylinder.. was just hoping others witnesed this an had advice.. See the system is drained and i never seen it work but im to assume it worked for previous users..

Are you a plumber billy..

No!! Do you need a plumber ??

No!! Do you need a plumber ??

I only seen the comment semi sealed there.. if it is semi sealed.. how did it expand previously.. I was just wondering was my sketch that bad that a plumber couldnt understand..

What storage tank is downstairs?

The storage cistern for sink and toilet.. no toilet or plumbing other than heating upstairs..

The storage cistern for sink and toilet.. no toilet or plumbing other than heating upstairs..

This is getting confusing! What does this storage tank look like? Is there only the f&e tank in the attic? No other tank?

Better off get a mate of yours in domestic heating to throw on eye on it for you if you feel it's unsafe. Really need to see it to give a definite answer.

Yup thats all thats in attic... Plumbing is crazy throughout the house... will try take a few pics if im there tommorrow... Basically attic has main to feed expansion tank, 1/2 cold feed from it and then a 3/4 overflow. will try enhance my sketch a bit better so you guys can try get the idea... I Am really just considering close coupling it before the pump on the flow.

But was curious to know was the set up ok as it was.. But obviously not... My only conclusion is that it was a combined feed & vent but was undersized and should of been 3/4 pipe.

Oh and storage tank looks like any other standard house plastic tank..

• Advertisement

I tried to make drawing a bit better for you guys to understand but still pretty much the same, I also put in the design I would change to if acceptable, those are the yellow and purple lines.... the black line (cold feed) would be rerouted to tie in next the boiler and not where its seen tied in earlier in the sketch..

Advertisement