Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Tom Brady throwing to Rob Gronkowski being covered by Darrelle Revis.

We are SO spoiled.

BaRPdct.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭me89

Tom Brady throwing to Rob Gronkowski being covered by Darrelle Revis.

We are SO spoiled.

BaRPdct.jpg
    Beautiful :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

We are SO spoiled.

Yes and then the injuries will start and we'll be lining up Slater again, like we did in the last AFC title game.:(

Yes, I'm having one of these kind of days.....

12306_Storm_clouds_over_swifts_creek.jpg

So as I feared and speculated upon in here a few months ago. The Pats have now revealed that Dodson had a permanent screw inserted into his injured foot. Totally unnecessary, because if the lad had of been immediately sidelined and rested when his foot injury started. Then he wouldn't he wouldn't have done further damage when he tried to play on it. So he now misses camp and I won't be surprised if he misses a few games at the start of the season. The chance to strengthen his rapport with Brady has been lost. And as our only really deep/outside threat on the field, it will, as it always does, probably come back to bite us on the ass. Gronk was rushed back too soon from his initial arm break and broke it again. He should have had another 4 weeks recuperation but didn't get it. And the same thing happens the following year, a gifted player is rushed back too soon and it costs us at the business end of the season. Will lightning strike a third time this year? Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Is it the same injury as Julio Jones?

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    Is it the same injury as Julio Jones?

Jones broke a bone his foot and then rebroke the same bone again the following year, but in a different spot. But similar to Dobson, during his second surgery Jones had a screw inserted to stabilise the foot and to ensure better healing. Jones also had Bone Marrow injected into the injured foot, which I think was excellent. The bone marrow promotes faster healing and strengthens the effects of the screw.

Dobson initially suffered a stress fracture, wasn't rested properly, was rushed back way to soon and the stress fracture turned into a deeper, more extensive problem. But like Jones, he needed a permanent screw inserted to stabilise the fracture and to ensure stronger healing. Unfortunately, I don't think he had a bone marrow infusion into the damaged area. But to be fair to the team involved, that is a relatively new technique and is not widely used yet. That said, they may have done it and it just wasn't reported.

So while both injuries aren't a mirror image of each other, they have similarities. The only positive is, the Pats have gone for the more radical, more invasive option during the initial surgery - (the permanent screw inserted). So I expect Dobson to make a full recovery and when he does, he shouldn't be inhibited in any way. And if they hadn't of selected the more invasive option, then there's a very high chance Dobson could have fractured the same area again.

Yet it's a joke it even had to come to this. I know a new team Doctor - Dr. Provencher took over a few moths ago and I really hope he reviews the management of the likes of Dobson and Gronk. http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=19397
    Because imo, both players were mismanaged during the initial injury & rehab phase and it cost us dearly in the end.

The long term health of a player is more important to them and the team. Than any perceived short term benefit obtained, by rushing a player back onto the field too soon. This team needs to stop shooting itself in the foot and I hope our new Medical Director cuts this nonsense out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,665 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So as I feared and speculated upon in here a few months ago. The Pats have now revealed that Dodson had a permanent screw inserted into his injured foot. Totally unnecessary, because if the lad had of been immediately sidelined and rested when his foot injury started. Then he wouldn't he wouldn't have done further damage when he tried to play on it. So he now misses camp and I won't be surprised if he misses a few games at the start of the season. The chance to strengthen his rapport with Brady has been lost. And as our only really deep/outside threat on the field, it will, as it always does, probably come back to bite us on the ass. Gronk was rushed back too soon from his initial arm break and broke it again. He should have had another 4 weeks recuperation but didn't get it. And the same thing happens the following year, a gifted player is rushed back too soon and it costs us at the business end of the season. Will lightning strike a third time this year? Hopefully not.
    You say they were rushed back which I think is a little unfair with the facts. In a lot of these cases its the player who pushes to get back on the field and not the medical team or the football team.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You say they were rushed back which I think is a little unfair with the facts. In a lot of these cases its the player who pushes to get back on the field and not the medical team or the football team.

From my experience and looking at the high impact & violent nature of the sport in question. Gronk and Dobson were rushed back way, way too soon. But I can appreciate your point and I have no doubt the players did push to return. But that's where the nonsense starts imo. Any medical professional that is going to listen a player whining to return, or is pressurised by a coach. Then they are not fit to practice imo and should not be part of the staff. You have a duty of care to your patient and you always put their long term health before any immediate need. You just cannot cut corners with the human body, especially when such a violent contact sport is involved.

A) A regular Joe breaks the Ulna bone in his forearm. It will take on average 8 weeks for that fracture to heal. And at that stage, the bone will only be at 75-80% of its previous strength. Full functionality with the arm could take another 2-4 weeks. And the Ulna could take another 4-6 months to be restored to 100% strength. Now that is an average Joe we are talking about.

B) Now take Gronk, at 6'6" and 265 Lbs he is no average Joe. He's a very big guy playing in a violent contact sport and he returns to the field just 6 weeks after breaking his Ulna. So not only does the same healing time not apply to him, but the margins of safe recovery have to be extended to accommodate his high risk profession. Of course none of this best practice was implemented and we all saw the debacle that ensued as he re-broke his arm.

I'm sure ye remember me raving about it. It was bad enough putting him on the field, but to do so without providing proper forearm protection was just lunacy. Oh ya, they finally copped on and he eventually had a special bespoke armoured protector designed for his forearm - after he re-broke the arm. I really could not believe the level of incompetence from the medical decision makers. Then we had the Dobson stress fracture and at the time, I said I was worried they might return him too soon. And yes, they returned him too soon and the stress fracture became a more complicated full fracture. That ended up requiring a very invasive procedure. Which was all totally unnecessary if best medical practice have of been adhered to from the start.

To be clear, I'm not going to blame any player or any of the coaches for what has gone wrong. Human nature being what it is, players and coaches are always anxious for a quick return to action. So the buck has to stop with the medical staff and the bad decisions that have been made. Them and only them have to accept accountability for it. So with that in mind, I found the timing of the new Medical Director's appointment very interesting

Now looking to the future, this is what I want to see going forward. If I was the Medical Director with the Pats. I would sit down with Bill, Robert, Josh, Matt and the entire coaching staff. And I would make it abundantly clear, that no injured player will touch the field unless I give him the all clear. I don't care what the player says, or how he feels. And I don't care what any medically unqualified coach thinks. If I think he is not ready then he is not ready. I would also tell them that if the Franchise wanted to hire a 'Yes' man they could. But that's not me, because I will always put the health of a player first and by doing so, they Franchise will be healthier and stronger in the long run. So I'm hoping our new Medical Director has done that. Or even better still, maybe he didn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Going to to see the New England Patriots
    versus the Chicago Bears in October, looking forward to it, never been to an NFL before, in the area at the time, anyone been/know what to expect experience wise? Tips, pitfalls etc? Have ticket behind the posts (170 bloody quid btw) getting the train from Boston on match day.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Going to to see the New England Patriots
    versus the Chicago Bears in October, looking forward to it, never been to an NFL before, in the area at the time, anyone been/know what to expect experience wise? Tips, pitfalls etc? Have ticket behind the posts (170 bloody quid btw) getting the train from Boston on match day.

Apart from London, I haven't been to a Pats game since before Gillette opened :(. So I'm not much use to you, anyway welcome to the forum.

• Advertisement

The great Ty Law is being inducted into the HOF right now, oh look, there's TO. in the crowd....

89598_Sniper-Camouflage-Wallpaper.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

The great Ty Law is being inducted into the HOF right now, oh look, there's TO. in the crowd....

89598_Sniper-Camouflage-Wallpaper.jpg

Didn't make the HOF part leaving for the practice shortly. Was stuck in the DMV all fricking afternoon.

Caught the tail end of Ty Law getting inducted. Couple of things I noticed from the Practice tonight. It was mainly all the Rookies and FA taking the snaps. Of the Rookies and FA:

Jimmy Garoppolo : From watching him over camp and tonight he is struggling and I do believe that is the consensus with him. He looks like he is lacking confidence. He is throwing off his back foot and late. And a couple of times he under threw the WR. I know the Pats will most likely keep him around for the season to help him grow but he needs to start making waves or we will be finding Bradys replacement elsewhere. We did work out Brady Quinn today :eek: This morning of course.

Justin Jones: Jones looks like he has potential. 6ft 8 and a lot of strength. Not going to block a lot of big Dlinemen but will be a powerful catcher with speed if he stays on the roster. Had one bad drop tonight but a lot of up side to him.

Stephen Houston: From the what I have seen of him through camp and tonight he is a solid runner. Big and bulky and would be a good solid downhill runner. But what I have read from him and what I noticed he tries too hard to be a hybrid runner rather than accepting his size and strength are his key attributes. I dont think he will make the Pats roster but if he could end up somewhere if he plays to his strengths.

James White: Saw more of him as a returner and he looks sharp. But overall in camp he is looking good.

Few more I will add tomorrow when I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Glad to see we've been working on our biggest weakness from last year - Tom's high fives.

jMR67QL.jpg

L48YYfg.jpg

Xbt2zFJ.jpg

Few pics from last night camera aint great

28ltemc.jpg

10wtuys.jpg

213rtde.jpg

6xud0n.jpg

Interested to hear some more of your player feedback TO.

More observations on Rookies/FA:

Offensive Line: Most of them don't look ready. Bryan Stork although missing Friday will most likely get on the roster and challenge for the starting centre spot. Seems ready and looks solid enough. Good technique and solid base just needs gametime. John Halapio could be one for the future. He will make the 53 man squad and looks like he could become a solid starter down the line.

Defensive Line: Of the Rookies Moore and Forston have had the best camp in my eyes both giving solid performaces at their respective positions. Of the two I think Moore could snatch a roster spot. Not a rookie but Siliga has been putting in a really good Camp so far also. Wants to keep his spot after we picked him up late last season.

Going back to RB. One guy who has impressed me also is Finch. Came out of Olahoma and is a pocket rocket. Another Danny Woodhead size but stronger and faster. He could sneak a roster spot over Bolden if he walks away from the injury he sustained on Friday night.

This is where my 53 Man Roster is at right now:

QB
    Brady
    Mallett
    Garropolo

RB
    Ridley
    Vereen
    White
    Bolden/Finch*
    Develin(FB)

WR
    Dobson
    LaFell
    Thompkins
    Edelmen
    Amendola
    Boyce
    Slater(ST)

TE
    Rob Gronkowski
    Michael Hoomanawanui
    Justin Jones/DJ Williams

OL
    Nate Solder
    Logan Mankins
    Josh Kline
    Bryan Stork
    Dan Connolly
    Jon Halapio
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Marcus Cannon,
    Cameron Fleming

Defensive Line
    Vince Wilfork
    Tommy Kelly
    Dominique Easley
    Sealver Siliga
    Chris Jones

Defensive End:
    Rob Ninkovich
    Chandler Jones
    Michael Buchanan
    Will Smith
    Zach Moore/Jake Bequette

Linebacker:
    Jerod Mayo
    Steve Beauharnais
    Dont'a Hightower
    Cameron Gordon/James Anderson
    Jamie Collins

DB's
    Darrelle Revis
    Brandon Browner
    Logan Ryan
    Alfonzo Dennard
    Kyle Arrington
    Duron Harmon
    Devin McCourty
    Jemea Thomas/Nate Ebner/Pat Chung

Kickers
    Stephen Gostowski
    Ryan Allen

LS
    Danny Aiken/Tyler Ott

TO. wrote: »
    More observations on Rookies/FA:

Offensive Line: Most of them don't look ready. Bryan Stork although missing Friday will most likely get on the roster and challenge for the starting centre spot. Seems ready and looks solid enough. Good technique and solid base just needs gametime. John Halapio could be one for the future. He will make the 53 man squad and looks like he could become a solid starter down the line.

Defensive Line: Of the Rookies Moore and Forston have had the best camp in my eyes both giving solid performaces at their respective positions. Of the two I think Moore could snatch a roster spot. Not a rookie but Siliga has been putting in a really good Camp so far also. Wants to keep his spot after we picked him up late last season.

Going back to RB. One guy who has impressed me also is Finch. Came out of Olahoma and is a pocket rocket. Another Danny Woodhead size but stronger and faster. He could sneak a roster spot over Bolden if he walks away from the injury he sustained on Friday night.

This is where my 53 Man Roster is at right now:

Nice one TO. Did you get a look at Brandon LaFell by any chance? Reports I've been hearing are saying he's very inconsistent. He'll make a play and then drop a pass. In other words, he's the typical 'elite' WR we've been bringing in to help Brady since Moss left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Whose going to take over as the LS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Seems like Aiken will keep it, unless Ott can show enough to make saving the money worth it. I think it's like $250k (???) and Ott hasn't been impressing so far. I have no idea how useful Ott is at TE though, anybody know?

edit: can't find my source for saying Ott hasn't impressed so I'm probably wrong about that, seems like it'll be a close battle.

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    Whose going to take over as the LS?

I knew I forgot someone on my list Damn it.

Aiken or Tyler Ott. Predictions are Ott will get it. A TE turned long snapper out of Harvard.
    Masked Man wrote: »
    Seems like Aiken will keep it, unless Ott can show enough to make saving the money worth it. I think it's like $250k (???) and Ott hasn't been impressing so far. I have no idea how useful Ott is at TE though, anybody know?

edit: can't find my source for saying Ott hasn't impressed so I'm probably wrong about that, seems like it'll be a close battle.

Ott is favourite to get it right now among all the pundits and reporters and observers. He was a LS for Harvard in his Sophmore, Junior and Senior year. His physical presence is similar to Aiken and what I saw the other night and from Camp he would be just as good as Aiken if not better. Anyones guess though at this point.

Nice one TO. Did you get a look at Brandon LaFell by any chance? Reports I've been hearing are saying he's very inconsistent. He'll make a play and then drop a pass. In other words, he's the typical 'elite' WR we've been bringing in to help Brady since Moss left.

LaFell was mainly on return duties on Friday. The few snaps he got at WR he was 1-2 if I can remember correctly. So far in camp he has shown he might fit in. The inconsistencies right now seem to be him trying to fit and lock down the playbook and trying to sync to Brady and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This randomly came up in my suggested YouTube videos:

So giddy right now.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What a game, what a comeback and remember this from it......

44687_brady.gif

Why we all love Brady, the passion, the hunger and the sheer will to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

so any thoughts on the team for the season ahead?

On defence, it seems that the front 7 have been lining up in a 3-4 formation a good bit more often than anytime previously. Will it see a change back to a 3-4? And if it did, where would Chandler Jones fit into it? The LB corps seemed to be Mayo and Collins at ILB most often, with Hightower and Ninkovic on the outside. Would putting Jones at the end of a front 3 or at OLB restrict his pass rush ability?

The deep coverage seems fairly well decided, Revis and Browner at corner and MCourty at safety. Despite decent competition from most notably Arrington, Dennard and Ryan, it seems that line up is fairly well set. Its the last spot that is really up for grabs. There has been multiple players lining up with McCourty at the other safety spot, Harmon, Ebner, Chung and others.

For the first time in quite a while though, I actually think the defence is looking in really good shape, and arguably, could be the side of the field that is winning us games.

On the offence, it doesnt sound like the back up QB situation looks too hot. I really thought Mallet would be progressing at a much higher pace, but he doesnt even seem to be commanding much interest for trades or anything, so maybe he isnt as good as first thought. Especially by picking up Garroplo, who by all accounts is playing as a rookie does at this stage. Worrying to hear some Tebow references to him with how long he was holding the ball looking for an open receiver.

Hard to call WR set up. Dobson being out is going to cost him I reckon though, and I'd expect a line up of Edelman, Amendola and Thompkins, with a 1 TE set in Gronk. Tight end is severely lacking depth, and Hooman has been out injured for most of camp. The O Line has its biggest call with whoever lines up at Centre. Again, its been a committee set up during camp, so whether its Connolly, Stork or someone else remains to be seen.

Great to have football back again though! Looking forward to the Redskins game this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Can't wait for the season to start. Roster is looking great and we should be in the mix as always. Bit of luck with injuries and I'll be happy.

Defense is shaping up to be the best in years. Revis needs no introduction, at his best he's hands down the best CB in the NFL. Browner will be a nice compliment, he just has to watch himself off field. Dennard has his flaws, but, he's a competitor and lets hope Ryan can take a leap, he showed some nice ball hawking skills last year.

Mayo back and Collins looking a real prospect with another year under his belt. Will be interesting to see what we do with the front, I feel we need to manage Chandler a touch better and have him at full speed for more obvious passing downs. Guy is so talented and can play different techniques, can't help but expect a lot from him.

Worry about our sideline passing game and vertically stretching the field. Dobson is injured and that will hurt his progression. Thompkins has shown ability in flashes. Amendola needs a healthy year, he showed he's a good layer at St.Louis. Gronk is obviously our X factor in the passing game, can stretch opponents and creates mismatches were ever he goes. His injury history and the physicality of TE is what will have us on edge through the season.

Welcome to the forum Moat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Welcome to the forum Moat.:)

+1 on the Welcome!

Last night I watched back last seasons Saints game, the final 1/4 ... WOW Has really gotten me looking forward to this season.

Also watched the end of the Broncos game with the muffed punt. Equally class

COME ON REGULAR SEASON :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Cheers Guys. Looking forward to a good season and talking some football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

bruschi wrote: »
    so any thoughts on the team for the season ahead?

On defence, it seems that the front 7 have been lining up in a 3-4 formation a good bit more often than anytime previously. Will it see a change back to a 3-4? And if it did, where would Chandler Jones fit into it? The LB corps seemed to be Mayo and Collins at ILB most often, with Hightower and Ninkovic on the outside. Would putting Jones at the end of a front 3 or at OLB restrict his pass rush ability?

I don't see it being a problem. It might actually improve our pass rush overall.

Generally in a 3 man front you have at least one guy in a 4 or 5 tech, which is where Jones plays on the 4 man front. I don't see him being put in a 3 tech which wouldn't suit him.

The real change there is Ninkovic wont have his hand in the dirt, which frees his movement up a bit more and will allow us to stunt the other backers more often to keep the O Line guessing where the 4th rusher is coming from. For Jones it should just stay business as usual.

Kelly and Wilfork playing a 3 and 1 tech should solve all of our inside run issues from a year ago...
    Also having two big men in the middle like that allows you to create more gaps for inside stunts from Collins and Mayo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement