Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean a handmade woolen rug ?

Options
  • 15-05-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Do people still make rugs at home ?

I'm thinking that such activities are limited to a very select group - thus posting here

I have such a rug ( made in the 50's) - about 2ft X 4ft -. Its was originally a creamy white colour and could now do with a bit of an ol' clean.

Whats the best to do that I dont ruin the thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The main thing about wool is that heat (hot water) + friction (moving it about in hot water) will felt and shrink it. So wash it in cold/cool water with wool wash stuff, rinse well, and you should be ok. Unless the backing isn't washable, in which case you will have to use some sort of nasty chemical Vanish or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Thanks Looksee,

It sounds like a bath of cold water and some woolite then ?

Next question is how on earth will I dry it :confused:

( By the time its wet through I doubt I'll even be able to lift it )

Tell me more about this Vanish, does it take long to dry out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I agree with Looksee that a cold gentle handwash should work best - dry it flat so it doesn't stretch under its own weight. Try draping it over a bush or something so it wont be hanging down but if your nervous about it you could get it drycleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

If the rug isn't too big, you can roll it up with a bath towel inside (this can be repeated with dry towels as required) to squeeze out excess water and then drape it over the bath using one of those grid-like things for drying woolens. I've dried rugs outside over a large picnic table when the weather was kind. Probably best left until you can get such a kind day ...

two foot by four foot isn't that big, you might be able to put it in your washing machine and give it a spin to get the water out. Try and arrange it tidily in the drum wool side out and give it a short spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭cobham

I would wash in warm water in a bath with some handwash powder/liquid or Woolite, plenty of rinsing. Then drap over a plank/bar or clothes airer slung accross the bath and allow worst of water to drip out. Then out to garden on a decent day to catch sun maybe over back of garden chair if still too heavy for clothes line. Natural cream colour might change a bit when washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I have a rug the same size cream and blue made in the early 90s. I've never cleaned it so based on the previous advice I feel a bit more confident of an ok result.
    Enjoyed making that rug!

Thank you all for your suggestions !

Is there something about not drying woolen clothing in direct sunlight ? ( I've a vague idea that there is )

If so, anyone know what thats about & if it might apply to woolen rugs ?

Yes, wool in direct sunlight will go yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I'm dying to find out how Old dog got on with the rug:)

• Advertisement

Red Hare wrote: »
    I'm dying to find out how Old dog got on with the rug:)

No progress yet.

How to dry the thing is now the issue.

I'm holding out for warm low humidity weather with a modest breeze

Advertisement