Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City 4

Options
  • 24-01-2003 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Any played it yet? I got it last Friday myself and tis still as addictive as ever.

A few minor issues need to be sorted and one major issue. I hope they don't do this in an "unlimited" edition like they did with SC 3K.

At the moment I'm running the game onmy laptop - 1 GHz P3 with 256 megs-o-ram, 20 GIG HD / 16 Free and a crappy 8 MB 3D card and I'm getting major slow down on a city of 4k population :/

Still can't make a profit :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

there are some screenshots over on this website.. looks amazing.. im in the process of getting it. cant wait.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    there are some screenshots over on this website.. looks amazing.. im in the process of getting it. cant wait.

dw

Do you mean the process of warezing it? Im not accusing BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I cant make a profit either...:( but i take out plenty of loans!!!!!

may i'm building the city up too quickly? or...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea, I keep going rupt too,
    I thought it was because I was building too much needless stuff, police etc.
    So I just built water, housing, commerical and industrial and roads, and school, liabry and thats all, do you ajust the tax at the start or leave it?
    The game kinda goes a big sludgy for me when I have a population of over 10k, I have highest res set and highest quality
    amd 2100+, 512ddr, radeon 9700 pro and a lota gigs free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

the most annoying thing about this game is that i can't build bridges, i've made a profit for about ten years & then everything goes pearshape all of a sudden bloody hard game...whats the story with the make your own sim???? whats the point???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

most people make the mistake of placing too many commercial zones at the start , it's people and companies that bring in the cash and then afterwards make some new laws , such as parking fines and legalize gambling and the likes :)

Well I built 4 4X8 residental zones, 2 4X4 commercial zones and 1 4X8 industrial zone. I raised taxes to 9% across the board and made gambling legal.

I did'nt place any police, fire stations, hospitals or schools. I bought in my power from a neighbour and sold them water and imported thier garbage.

I have expanded the city/town slowly but Im still way way in the red and losing 1200 odd per month :(

Anyway at least it's more real to life, Ballymun (my city/town) is now a dump riddled with drug pushers, vandals, murder and violence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have got two cities built, one 12K pop and the other 30K.

In the 30K City, once it got up on its feet (10K pop) I painstakingly erradicated the $ (poor) residents and the $ and $$ Industries. I replaced the "dirty" Industry with a mix of High Tech industry ($$$) and mid and High density comercial.

My sims even built their first "skyscraper"... well, its about 30 Stories high. So I built the Empire State Building next too it, dwarfing it. Showed them I did.

I also added an Airport and Seaport, so generated lots of demand for good, clean Comercial and Industry types.

I have to run the game at 1024x768, medium detail thanks to the craptastic support the game offers for Radeon (9700) cards. I run the game in OpenGL too, to avoid the desktop dumps.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

Do you mean the process of warezing it? Im not accusing BTW.

hehe.. sorry, in the process of saving and finding somewhere here in finland that sells it.

im well aware that my pooter amd xp 1800+ with voodoo 3 will be a little slow for it.. but still cant wait.. after that i gotta save for the best graphics card i can get for 100€.

dw goes to look for pennies that have fallen down the back of the sofa.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

another trick that used to worked fine was , tax extremely high just before collecting your anual collection and then straight afterwards place it on normal again :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm making money :)

Not exporting anything, imported garbage,

Starting off…
    - Build *one* wind power station (build more as power is needed).
    - Build *one* water tower, not pump.
    - Zone farming land.
    - Keep an eye on the budget.
    - (After the stuff you need) Don’t build what you can’t pay for.
    - Don’t take out loans (unless you can pay for them).

Running on a (I don't know how) P2 450mhz, 125MB of ram, 3D Blaster GetForce2 GTS, SBLive (Note to self: remember to get new PC), At 1024x768, FULL detail, I should turn it down a bit before my population grows :)

Farm's don't pay taxs they just create jobs and the demand never seems to go away :/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bulding them is just something you should do starting off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer i get slowdown when i get to 20-30k.

I wasnt aware it had problems with the 9700?
    i gont one of em, must look into it.

Btw dont stick pipes under your farmland as it makes water pollution :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Look at Rage3d.com and its forums for info on the problems with SimCity.

There is a ini file edit to stop the buildings disappearing when you scroll, on the main page. The poor performance however is not workaroundable yet.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

lol i thought the building were supposed to disappear when i scroll. hhe thx :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Mmmm likely Ill end up buying this, is it worth 50-60 euro tho?
    What sort of longetivity am I expecting here and is it just the one city, or can you build a load and link em up into a country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I've just reached 100 years in my city, and we're going strong with 25k population, and turning over about §400 a month (with all funding as full as it needs to be)... For the first 40 or so years, I was in debt,I think the lowest I went was -§28k, eventually I got out of it, and I've just about used up the medium size square... I still got no skyscrapers, although I gotta a pretty great city centre commericial/high tech industry thing goin on. (I just raised the land values like crazy until people were practicly begging to move into the free space, had dedicated wind generators and water pumps on standby, and when it was built, land values went even higher, generated a nice lump sum. Also, I have one teeny corner of the map with the dump, missle testing range, toxic waste factory ect.. The monthly budget is great, but I think a better job could've been done with the sims.. Defintly the best simcity yet, followed closely by simcity1 on the snes. (PC version wasnt much cop without an uber-slow pc to handle it)

Advertisement