Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Rated Games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I thought harvest moon was oevr rated, sold like hotcakes in my area, couldnt get it for 6months+ after release coz it was sold out, eventually got it on emulator............ less than 6months ago, didnt even think it was that good.
    Body harvest though I loved to bits, best viechle engine seen since carmageddon (the game was mediocre, but the engine was great), pity no-one else had played it :(

harvest moon on gbc took up so much of my time,

i can't wait for the cube version, looks terrific

its those bloody farming games , :p

you either love it or hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Myg
    Im a fanboy :p

Q1: have you ever played it?
    Q2: What version did you play?
    Q3: What is your main complaint?

A1: Yes.
    A2: First version which was so hopelessly bugged I returned it.
    A3: Well the game I got out of the box was a pretty limited and flawed deathmatch compare that to some of the other online games at release its a bit much to call it the best. Don't get me wrong its a really innovative game and you'll be hard pressed for find anything similar to it. But its no where near the best game out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

You poor bastard... The original release version is probably the worst peice of crap ever made :p
    It aint so bad now, and it just keeps getting better... (maybe not as fast as i would like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Darko
    Clive Barkers Undying. I spent nine months trying to get a copy and every where I asked had never heard of it. A class game but loadings time were a problem. It seems they had their eyes on a sequel from the way it ends but the fact that it was the fifth worst selling game in England ever put a stop to that.

Totally agreed there.

As far as worst selling games go though, I'd like to know what the top 20 was, because as far as Undying being the 5th worst, and Gothic being the ultimate worst... It seems that these games are setting a track record.

But I still URGE everyone to get Gothic!
    You should be able to get it for dirt!

Heres the ten worst selling ever on PC

1 The Mummy
    2 Who wants to beat up a millionare?
    3 Michael Crichtons Timeline
    4 Erotica Island
    5 Sky Sports manageh
    6 Dukes Of Hazzard
    7 Kiss Psycho Circus
    8 Codename Out brake
    9 The Blair Witch Project Vol 1
    10 Daikatana

The next twenty

11 Project Eden
    12 Battlezone 2
    13 Dark Reign 2
    14 Hostile waters
    15 Mech Commander 2
    16 Startopia
    17 MDK 2
    18 Sacrifice
    19 Giants Citizen Kabuto
    20 Z Steel Soldiers
    21 Everquest The Ruins Of Kunark
    22 Urban Chaos
    23 Home World Cataclysm
    24 Mechwarrior 4
    25 Flight Unlimited 3
    26 Outcast
    27 Clive Barkers Undying (Its moved up a few places since I last checked)
    28 Fallout 2
    29 Warzone 2100
    30 No One Lives Forever

• Advertisement

Hmm... I find that list a little underwhelming on the elusive gems front.
    Shinji must've been wrong about Gothic being the worst selling game.

Ah, well.
    Where'd you get that list anyway?

Darko, you should go and get Gothic now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by AngelWhore

AngelWhore you should know by now that Shinji is never wrong ;)

Just after buying Gothic 2 on play.com solely because everyone here talks so highly of the first one. Does anyone know if Gothic1 is for sale in Smyths or HMV?

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Actually I was in IRC when the ye were talking about Gothic and I think Shinji said it was worst selling game for 2001 in the uk not the worst selling worldwide ever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I was only joking at the time, but I told you Shinji never wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

But he likes Final Fantasy, which is as wrong as wrong can possibly be.

Originally posted by Darko
    Just after buying Gothic 2 on play.com solely because everyone here talks so highly of the first one. Does anyone know if Gothic1 is for sale in Smyths or HMV?

Dunno, I got it in Game on O Connell street.

Gothic 2 is out???

Its been released in Germany since 29/11/02 according to the publishers website. Its first quarter for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Battlezone 1 & 2, System Shock 1 & 2, Thief 1 & 2 and Terra Nova were games I recall being underrated, as well as MDK 1 & 2... It's kind of odd how such original games get such a bad public grilling (I have both System Shock games and Battlezone and Theif 1 & 2 and I personally find the games good)

But then, that's my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I think www.theunderdogs.org covers games like this too.

btw, Hidden and Dangerous is another one that occured to me, if it is classified under this?

Just thought of Fallout Tactics, another game that had moments of greatness but due to a few silly bugs never really made it big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Just thought of Fallout Tactics, another game that had moments of greatness but due to a few silly bugs never really made it big.
    It wasn't due to bugs that it never made it big.

It was due to:
    a)Bad combat system
    b)Total and utterly linear
    c)Being completely inconsistent with fallout universe

a)Bad combat system

I guess I enjoyed it because I'm an X-com nut its up to your personal taste.
    b)Total and utterly linear

That's not altogether true you were given a few missions a different stages and you could decide what order you completed these. Also if the fancy took you could ride out into the wilds and fight the random spawns.
    c)Being completely inconsistent with fallout universe

That's true but it was still an engaging plot set against a vibrant background, I don't think the game suffered particularly from not tieing itself up in knots trying to carry on the pervious two games.

Another factor why Fallout Tactics didn't do so well might be that fans from the first two were expecting something completely different and were disappointed by what they got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I guess I enjoyed it because I'm an X-com nut its up to your personal taste.
    I am also an x-com nut, but I found it's turn based combat lacking and it's continuous turn based even worse.

That's not altogether true you were given a few missions a different stages and you could decide what order you completed these. Also if the fancy took you could ride out into the wilds and fight the random spawns.
    But the random spawns had nothing to do with the plot, like in FFX it's linear but you still fight random battles as much as you want.

As for mission choice, well I think it's twice in the game you get to choose :)

That's true but it was still an engaging plot set against a vibrant background
    I found the plot reasonable, but not much more :)

Ever tried multiplayer? Always wanted to but never seemed to find the time :)

Its been released in Germany since 29/11/02 according to the publishers website. Its first quarter for the rest of us.

Jesus, not long at all then!?
    It's on my to-do list. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished Clive Barkers Undying. A great game. Scared the sh*t out of me. It didn't sell well. Thats what happens if you don't pay pc gamer for a good review.

Originally posted by Celt
    Ever tried multiplayer? Always wanted to but never seemed to find the time :)

Same here actually never tried it out. But when I was playing it apparently there was a very good world war 2 mod being developed for it, never followed it up tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

3 words and a colon,
    Giants: Citizen Kabuto. An amazing game, in fact one of my favourites evar.

Another really good game was Hostile Waters and Clive Barkers: Undying.
    The Mechwarrior series were under-appreciated too.

Advertisement