Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW RNS315 Sat Nav Not Working

Options
  • 19-03-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently bought a Passat CC which comes with the RNS 315 headunit (pretty sure its the RNS315, book says RNS 310/ 315 but no real indication of difference between the two).

When I press the Nav button I'm getting an message saying "please insert a medium with navigation data" and it won't allow me to operate any of the functions relating to navigation.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this. I know you can purchase map updates from VW (quite expensive as I understand), but I would have presumed that the unit originally came with maps preinstalled and you then update from there if needed.

I'm debating resetting the unit to factory settings to see if this might help but I'm concerned that this may result in an older firmware version as a result and not really sure of how much grief to update firmware is if this is the case.

Just seems very odd that no maps of any description seem to be on the unit rendering the function useless at present. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

From doing a bit of searching, the maps should be stored in the head unit on internal flash memory. In your case it looks like this has been erased for some reason. I don't think you have any other option but buy an SD card with the new maps on it.

If you reset the head unit it will stay at the current firmware so its worth a try but I don't think it will help in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Harcrid wrote: »
    From doing a bit of searching, the maps should be stored in the head unit on internal flash memory. In your case it looks like this has been erased for some reason. I don't think you have any other option but buy an SD card with the new maps on it.

If you reset the head unit it will stay at the current firmware so its worth a try but I don't think it will help in this case.

Cheers, I've been in touch with a lad in a UK company called SatNav systems and he confirmed that the unit is the RNS310 and not the RNS315 (apparently 315 is US version).

He reckons the Ireland and UK maps can be uploaded to the unit via a CD and they provide for £120 which is fairly expensive. Found the one on the link below for E49 and it says it does the RNS310, seems reasonable but I'm going to do a bit of googling later to see if I can get it cheaper.

http://www.navmapstore.com/product/680/TeleAtlas_Sat_Nav_Maps_2012_UK_and_Ireland_for_Blaupunkt_TravelPilot_FX

Apparently the SD card destroys itself 'Mission Impossible style' after install so maybe the fact that they are available on CD might open up a few options for me. Just don't want to fork out for CD to find out that NAv function is defective, seems weird that someone would go to the bother of deleting original maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

You can run the nav from the cd or choose to transfer the data onto an SD card in order to use the cd player. New maps usually come on SD card I believe.

Ionised wrote: »
    You can run the nav from the cd or choose to transfer the data onto an SD card in order to use the cd player. New maps usually come on SD card I believe.

For some reason i thought it was the RNS315 (think that's the US version) which restricts users to SD car maps. At least the ability to run the maps from CD or transfer to SD card opens up a few options for me cos they're fairly expensive from what I understand.

skerry wrote:
    For some reason i thought it was the RNS315 (think that's the US version) which restricts users to SD car maps. At least the ability to run the maps from CD or transfer to SD card opens up a few options for me cos they're fairly expensive from what I understand.

My wife has the rns315 and it can definitely run maps off cd or transfer to SD

• Advertisement

Success. I managed to come across a very helpful site on the net and acquire said maps. Slotted CD into unit and worked straight away, just need to get an SD card now and I can burn onto that.

skerry wrote: »
    Success. I managed to come across a very helpful site on the net and acquire said maps. Slotted CD into unit and worked straight away, just need to get an SD card now and I can burn onto that.

Glad you got it working.

My wife's maps are very out of date...care to share the site/info?

PM might be wise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

skerry wrote: »
    Can you post the site URL ...address

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mag508

hi all
    i just bought a passat cc the sat nav was working fine when i bought it
    but now its saying the same insert a medium with navigation data would anybody be
    able to point me in the right direction to get it sorted please??

Advertisement