Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android HDMI dongles

• 01-07-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend one of these?

There seems to be many on the market with similar specs.
    Theres a few on amazon several of which wont ship to Ireland. There's some on adverts.ie. Several on justop.com.

Am looking to use one of these with netflix and aertv and then cancel my UPC TV subscription.

Comments

Which phone/tablet do you have? Some phones have different connectors to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I was referring to a HDMI dongle that you plug into your tv.

Oh you mean an Android dongle, as you said. I'm slow this morning. Have a read of this and this thread. :)

Thanks for the links!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks for the links!

Fair few on adverts -

This one seems the best with 2gb or RAM...

http://touch.adverts.ie/media-players/have-one-to-sell-sell-it-yourself-android-tv-mini-pc-quad-core-2gb-ram-8gb-rom-wifi-rockchip-rk3188/3312196

The more ram on these the better tbh...

I had one of the first ones (mk808) and it struggled to do anything - I think it was only 256mb ram, nowadays 1gb would do, 2gb is ideal ...(for Xbmc etc)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Fieldog wrote: »
    Fair few on adverts -

This one seems the best with 2gb or RAM...

http://touch.adverts.ie/media-players/have-one-to-sell-sell-it-yourself-android-tv-mini-pc-quad-core-2gb-ram-8gb-rom-wifi-rockchip-rk3188/3312196

The more ram on these the better tbh...

I had one of the first ones (mk808) and it struggled to do anything - I think it was only 256mb ram, nowadays 1gb would do, 2gb is ideal ...(for Xbmc etc)

For that price you would be better off getting a g-box mx2. It comes with Android 4.2 and XBMC already loaded. I'm very impressed with it.

hcnyla wrote: »
    For that price you would be better off getting a g-box mx2. It comes with Android 4.2 and XBMC already loaded. I'm very impressed with it.

Any suggestions on best place to purchase that one?
    I've seen a few quad core ones around too for similar price but not sure if good otherwise.

Obviously you would get it cheaper from chinese sites, thats not a bad deal though for "kinda bricks and mortar" in Dublin, I have seen worse ones than that one go for 150 quid at markets and the like.....

XBMC comes installed on the one I linked also afaik, which is quad-core with 2GB of RAM, I think it is better than your dual core, there is fook all difference between 4.1 and 4.2 though....

How does this one compare?

How does this one compare?

Nowhere near as good as the one for 100.....

Its only 1GB of RAM, it would struggle with XBMC....

See space isnt a factor in these due to having an SD card slot....

• Advertisement

Any suggestions on best place to purchase that one?
    I've seen a few quad core ones around too for similar price but not sure if good otherwise.

I looked around for a while to try and see which would be the best for me and the MX2 popped up consistently as one of the better ones for the price so I bought it here and had it delivered in 3 days. It's really fast and responsive so no complaints.

I looked around for a while to try and see which would be the best for me and the MX2 popped up consistently as one of the better ones for the price so I bought it here and had it delivered in 3 days. It's really fast and responsive so no complaints.

No offence to your box but...

120 quid for a dual core one with 1GB of RAM?

Or 100 quid quadcore with 2GB of RAM? I know what I would want for my money....

Admittedly your one does look way better than the 100 one on adverts, but in reality the processor is far slower and it seems to lack enough RAM for Xbmc... (if thats what your using it for!)

They can put whatever name they want on these boxes, most of them are based off the same models and are nothing but the guts of a phone with a HDMI port on the end of them, they are all mainly the same units, rebadged and boxed in a sweat shop....

Fieldog wrote: »
    No offence to your box but...

120 quid for a dual core one with 1GB of RAM?

Or 100 quid quadcore with 2GB of RAM? I know what I would want for my money....

Admittedly your one does look way better than the 100 one on adverts, but in reality the processor is far slower and it seems to lack enough RAM for Xbmc... (if thats what your using it for!)

They can put whatever name they want on these boxes, most of them are based off the same models and are nothing but the guts of a phone with a HDMI port on the end of them, they are all mainly the same units, rebadged and boxed in a sweat shop....

My box isn't offended :) ( Unfortunately for you I'm not female!!)

I see what you're saying and maybe I should have researched more but I can confirm it runs XBMC with no issues or lags whatsoever. And it streams Navi-X, 1Channel and Ice Movies perfectly and in HD too!!

I'm happy with it anyway so I'd have to recommend it.

Thanks guys. I see ones listed with dual core cpu and a quad core gpu.
    The one Fieldog linked to doesnt mention which it is. So that could be a dual core cpu and quad core gpu like many of the others right? I assume its the cpu im more interested in?
    thanks for all the answers!

Thanks for the help lads. I bought the one that Fieldog recomended and so far so good!

Thanks for the help lads. I bought the one that Fieldog recomended and so far so good!

Good choice man...

Did you get XBMC up on it?

If you need to, just sideload the apk file

Then from there you can put http://fusion.xbmchub.com into sources

And then there's a setup wizard for Android in that...

To be honest, I dont know anything about XBMC.
    I was hoping to use this for watching TV and movies etc.
    XBMC looks like something I could use. I have lots of reading to do!

To be honest, I dont know anything about XBMC.
    I was hoping to use this for watching TV and movies etc.
    XBMC looks like something I could use. I have lots of reading to do!

If you bought the one I recommended XBMC and Android are already on it as we'll as the applications required to stream movies, sport and TV program's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

are sports any good on any of theses devices like to watch sky sports and how would you go about it??

are sports any good on any of theses devices like to watch sky sports and how would you go about it??

I'm open to correction but I think Sky blocked the HDMI output on their Sky Go App on Android - that may have changed but I'm not so sure...

• Advertisement
Advertisement