Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anything out there match the S4?

• 29-06-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Anything else worth a look?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

HTC One and Xperia Z are both similar and definitely worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    HTC One and Xperia Z are both similar and definitely worth a look

and priced more competitively i would imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

HTC one is the best phone i've had but coming from a s2 I really miss the dropdown notifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

and priced more competitively i would imagine?

Not really, you pay for a top tier phone no matter the manufacturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'd rather the HTC one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

smilerf wrote: »
    HTC one is the best phone i've had but coming from a s2 I really miss the dropdown notifications

Just download notification toggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

HTC One is a better phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

is the s4 worth the money? sorry to jump in on this! is it good battery wise and doesnt freeze everytime you do something on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

is the s4 worth the money? sorry to jump in on this! is it good battery wise and doesnt freeze everytime you do something on it?

Honesty its a great phone with great spec, is it worth the money i dont know...... i only have mine a week but i still love my 2011 Galaxy Nexus. ive done loads of comparisons and although on paper the s4 wipes the floor with the Nexus but in the real world they are very evenly matched when it comes to launching and running everyday apps. Theres alot to be said about stock android. Ill be trying my hand at flashing the Google Edition rom to the S4 and ill try again but ill prob sell up once the next nexus comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

In what ways is the HTC One superior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Design, feel, audible audio, screen, os overlay...

All subjective, but I'm fairly sure that you can't claim that the s4 equivalent isn't at best subjective too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The interface on the HTC is a little more sophisticated and is also simpler (in a good way), the general design of the software is great both visually and functionally.

The camera has great advanced function that is not presented as additional software, but is just there for you to use it if you want. The camera is also better in low light.

The hardware is advanced and the design of the phone is considered by most to be be most attractive, surpassing that of the iPhone... It is a very nicely designed piece of equipment and is a pleasure to carry around. The materials used in its manufacture and the basic design are premium.

The Samsung is a very good phone, but the interface is 'cartoonish' and a bit juvenile. It has what is claimed to be more advanced feature set and functionality, but most of this is novelty and after a few uses is relegated to bloatware.

The design is not particularly sophisticated and the materials used in its construction are cheap and a little nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

The Nexus 4 (with all the pain and hassle getting one) is also worth a look, very respectable specs at a good price, and updates from google rather than the handset manufacturer.

HTC sense UI and Samsung's TouchWiz are really a matter of preference. They can enhance the experience, but if you don't like them you are a little stuck with some of their features. You can get a new launcher but can't change fundemental things like the notifcation bar etc without custom ROMs.

It's hard to say, for example, the HTC one is better, as I do not like the UI myself and the huge restrictions HTC place on the device. I find the S4 placticy and tacky and the screen breaks VERY easily from what I have seen of someone beside me in work (unfortuantely for him). You, on the other hand, may LOVE the features I don't like. The hardware is very similar, and as I've used Android more, the less time I have for manufacturer's overlays and UIs.

The Experia is well worth a look. Make sure you pick up and use the phones. My current HTC seemed OK but man is it uncomfortable to use for periods of time.

This post probably didn't help much. Check out Youtube reviews of the devices to get a feel for how they operate and how the look and feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

It's hard to say, for example, the HTC one is better, as I do not like the UI myself and the huge restrictions HTC place on the device.

What kind of restrictions??

I thought you could easily unlock the HTC bootloader....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

After seeing HTC drop the One S support like a ton of bricks yesterday ill be staying well clear. But maybe thats just me being used to regular updates, my Galaxy Nexus was released November 2011 and its still getting timely updates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

That was surprising alright. It's only a year old(ish).

Having thought about it a bit more and taken absolutely everything into consideration, I think I'll just get myself a Nexus 4.

I won't be getting it on a contract so I really don't want to spend e500+ on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kerryairsofter

Cale wrote: »
    What kind of restrictions??

I thought you could easily unlock the HTC bootloader....

You can and you can get s-off too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

projectgtr wrote: »
    After seeing HTC drop the One S support like a ton of bricks yesterday ill be staying well clear. But maybe thats just me being used to regular updates, my Galaxy Nexus was released November 2011 and its still getting timely updates :D

Totally agree with this - don't know what HTC are playing at. Hardly inspires confidence in their products.

Advertisement