Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[WIP] The Root Thread

Options
  • 08-08-2012 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Mods, I went searching for stuff like this but couldn't seem to find anything useful. What I am trying to compile is a one-stop-shop for questions, tips and so on and so forth. I was over at a few device specific threads and I found users being turned away from rooting due to bad knowledge (not their fault really) or misunderstandings. Maybe, if it's good enough it could be added to the sticky FAQ? Ask any questions and I'll add them to the OP.

What is rooting?
    I'm sure a lot of you have heard this before. You know the UAC you get on your computer, allowing you to do admin stuff?
    UAC-windows-71.jpg
    Well it's pretty much like that for android, only it comes from linux and su, but you don't need to know all of this stuff.
    Cache-Fixer-Android-App-2.png
    Superuser allows you to do things that a normal user cannot, and access/change/mount system partition and write to it.

Rooting is NOT a custom rom
    This is where things start to get a little hazy. The most common way to root is installing a recovery that lets you flash, or install packages. One of these packages is a standalone superuser package which will add super user to your current ROM, even if that is the stock ROM. This is the safest thing, I mean if your stock ROM is good then you know you won't have any problems.

But often instead of flashing a root package people would go the whole way and flash a custom ROM. This is where the problems start. they might choose the wrong ROM, an unfinished project bcuz it haz coolz but then complain after. Worst of all you they could even flash the wrong Kernel, giving bootloops or Bricks. Not nice stuff.

So which should I do?
    If you trust yourself to choose the right ROM then go for it and custom away, But I would suggest trying with just root until you get you head around the rooted android system. I don't diss custom roms, without them my HERO would be in the bin. Just make sure to double check, then triple check, especially when dealing with unfinished works and leaks, there was a problem with a samsung leak that deleted all memory. Yikes. But can I just say that simply rooting will not affect your battery.

How should I go around doing this?
    Ah. It all depends. On the whole the average way if to install a recovery and flash through there. You can do fastboot flash recovery recovery.img with the correct img. You may need to unlock your bootloader. The bast place for this is xda developers. Every device is different. On my hero I could one-click-root and one click recover whereas on my OneX I need to unlock bootloader, flash recovery ect.

Wait a minute now, what's recovery? Bonus, adb/fastboot!
    Recovery is a brilliant tool. Normally, for flashing, one would put the bootloader in a mode that the computer can talk to, and send files to. This is called fastboot. You can, in face flash an entire rom in fastboot but it is messy. So instead, people flash (through fastboot normally, see above) a recovery partition. You can boot into recovery and it lets you flash packages (known from hereon out as zips), wipe partitions (delete stuff) and occasionally a few other nice items. More often that not it includes another interface, adb.

adb is short for android debugging bridge. It, when booted into a rom or recovery allowes you to send files, any files back and forth between your computer and phone. This is very useful if you delete system but forget to put a ROM on the sdcard. It is like fastboot's cousin, let's say.

This adb stuff sounds great, where do I get it?
    There are multiple ways to do this, but this is the way I prefer. Please, be very careful if you go down the environment variables route. It isn't mandatory, and I'm not liable for any mistakes. Look up how to do it the slow way if you want, but this way is much better if you read, be careful and make a backup. Technically you don't have to add it to the path but with oiut it you need to copy everything to the sdk foder and then cd to it, it's just messy. More info here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK

Back to recovery, what does it do?
    When you say to recovery to flash a zip it will go to the system folder in the zip, and copy it to the system folder on the phone. It does the same for any other folders. The most folders possible are
    /system
    /boot (kernel)
    /data
    /misc
    /cache

This means that if your rom developer says to wipe before installing a rom, you wipe. You won't get mismatching files. Same when switching rom developers. Often they will be smart about it and, in the zip will instruct the phone to wipe. The superuser zip won't.

What does the superuser zip install?
    su binary to /system/bin/
    superuser.apk to /system/app/

Becasue it simply adds the files it won't delete anything. The Binary is what gives you permissions (ie an app will start with su, and it is saved in the binary folder which is akin to system32 on windows). The superuser app gives you control, ie the prompt so you can be conscious that nothing can get root without you granting it.

ODIN and more (glossary) to come later on :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

So far, changelog.
    [LIST] [*]What is rooting
    [*]Rooting is not a custom rom
    [*]Which should I choose
    [*]How do I go about doing it
    [/LIST]

[LIST] [*]Recovery, adb, fastboot.
    [*] Installing the sdk
    [*]REcovery's job
    [*] Superuser zip installation precess.
    [/LIST]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Looks good OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Here's a few suggestions

What does downloading a pure root package (or whatever they're called) actually do?
    • Is it as simple as adding in a root user in /etc/passwd (or whatever the Android equivalent is, if applicable)? Maybe a couple of trivial file-system additions too.
    • Is it a new kernel with extra knobs to allow superuser privileges?
    • Is it more than that, like a different OS download.

And kind of separately, does rooting involve any data loss from the phone? I'm not talking about if it goes wrong, just the straight-through-it-worked case.

The major complaint I'd have is that any thread discussing these things very quickly gets into using a particular type of "generic jargon". By that I mean that they're using words that obviously have a fairly specific meaning in the context of mobile phones but are used by wider industry to mean something slightly different but these meaning are not clearly defined anywhere I've read. Examples I can think of immediately are are "recovery" (a procedure for making an unresponsive unit come back from the brink) and "ROM" (a characteristic of physical memory) but there are many others. A little glossary or desdcriptive paragraph would help clarify matters no end.

A link to an authoritative (or at least reliable) source of the Odin program would also be very useful. You can never know which links to trust when downloading executables and searching doesn't bring up anything looking in any way definitive.

backboiler wrote: »
    Here's a few suggestions

What does downloading a pure root package (or whatever they're called) actually do?
    • Is it as simple as adding in a root user in /etc/passwd (or whatever the Android equivalent is, if applicable)? Maybe a couple of trivial file-system additions too.
    • Is it a new kernel with extra knobs to allow superuser privileges?
    • Is it more than that, like a different OS download.

And kind of separately, does rooting involve any data loss from the phone? I'm not talking about if it goes wrong, just the straight-through-it-worked case.

The major complaint I'd have is that any thread discussing these things very quickly gets into using a particular type of "generic jargon". By that I mean that they're using words that obviously have a fairly specific meaning in the context of mobile phones but are used by wider industry to mean something slightly different but these meaning are not clearly defined anywhere I've read. Examples I can think of immediately are are "recovery" (a procedure for making an unresponsive unit come back from the brink) and "ROM" (a characteristic of physical memory) but there are many others. A little glossary or desdcriptive paragraph would help clarify matters no end.

A link to an authoritative (or at least reliable) source of the Odin program would also be very useful. You can never know which links to trust when downloading executables and searching doesn't bring up anything looking in any way definitive.

Added the beginning part to OP. more to come

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been reading up on this again as I've recently got a new phone; I'm considering flashing a custom ROM on it, but because the main experience I have from this is from the HTC G1 I've read lots of documents where rooting and installing a custom ROM are treated as equivalent.

Let's say my 'Droid device has some stuff installed by the vendor that I can't remove in the standard setup (eg Facebook for Android, some random Office Viewer app). If I install the superuser package you describe, can I remove previously-unremovable applications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Fysh wrote: »
    I've been reading up on this again as I've recently got a new phone; I'm considering flashing a custom ROM on it, but because the main experience I have from this is from the HTC G1 I've read lots of documents where rooting and installing a custom ROM are treated as equivalent.

Let's say my 'Droid device has some stuff installed by the vendor that I can't remove in the standard setup (eg Facebook for Android, some random Office Viewer app). If I install the superuser package you describe, can I remove previously-unremovable applications?

You can.
    Once you have Root you can delve into your system folder to remove those apps.
    Be careful what you delete tho.
    Most likely they'll be in /System/Apps

Aye. What phone do you have and what carrier? You can use a root installer, Adblock or terminal emulator (fastest) or titanium backup. All will need root.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Will follow this thread closely and looking forward to actually learning how to root and then apply custom roms. Agree that this has been hard enough to follow in previous threads.

Great idea - And thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Aye. What phone do you have and what carrier? You can use a root installer, Adblock or terminal emulator (fastest) or titanium backup. All will need root.

I've got a Sony Ericsson Mini Pro, unbranded and bought SIM-free. I can unlock the bootloader if I need to, but I've not really used Gingerbread much before so I don't mind sticking with the stock ROM for a while if I can get rid of some of the crapware it had preinstalled. I suspect I'll probably end up moving over to CyanogenMod again after a while, I really liked it on my G1.

Ah right no so long as those aren't carrier apps they should be in system/app/. You can sometimes get things in other odd places. Poor show of Sony to put those in an ur branded rom :mad:

• Advertisement

Ah right no so long as those aren't carrier apps they should be in system/app/. You can sometimes get things in other odd places. Poor show of Sony to put those in an ur branded rom :mad:

Cheers, might give it a go over the weekend when I have time to make sure I'm clear on what I'm doing :)

And yeah, it's a bit rubbish but then I'm used to the amount of bloat Sony install on their laptops so it's not entirely a surprise. The hardware is lovely though, which is the main thing, so once I've gotten rid of the stuff I don't want I should be golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nice idea for a thread OP, and great to do it in the XDA style of keeping the first post updated :)

It often amazes me the amount of people who are scared (for lack of a better word) to root their androids, when all it really is, is getting administrator rights on your device, just like UAC in windows vista and 7!!

Happy rooting everyone :D

Thanks to all. I lurk on xda a lot but got very fed up of the complete noobs who won't read yet complain
    Do we hav soff
    Read the first Post.
    so do we has soff
    drives me crazy so it does :rolleyes:

Odin is a monster compared to HTC, will probably update later on or tomorrow.
    Anyone know how to resize that behemoth su prompt? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

A lot of people recently have had issues with superuser. It might be worth giving Super SU by the developer Chainfire a go instead.
    See this thread on XDA for more info
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Fysh wrote: »

Ya. You can delete bloatware one you've rooted. You can also freeze apps with Titanium Backup. This just stops the apps working, for want of a better description,but doesn't actually delete the apps.
    Titanium Backup is really an app you should consider buying if you are going to root your phone and flash custom roms.

backboiler wrote: »

Link to Odin here.........
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703998

G1032 wrote: »
    A lot of people recently have had issues with superuser. It might be worth giving Super SU by the developer Chainfire a go instead.
    See this thread on XDA for more info
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

I was debating which package I would link to when I get to it. The thing about super us is that 1. The default is remember and 2. It isn't as common place. Binaries have given me issues before, and support is smaller what with it being newer. Not to diss chain fire, he's amazing but I still get teething problems with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Great thread OP.

I have rooted several phones myself but I'm still learning and it's always nice to see someone taking the time to explain the nuts and bolts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i just rooted my first android device last night, it was my little brothers android tablet. the thing didn't even have the google play store, even i tried to install it from the apk it kept force closing.

I rooted it and flashed 4.0 ICS on to it, its made it about 10x better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

It might be worth pointing out that by rooting there is some stuff you can't do.

Sky Go won't work on a rooted phone. If (and its a big if) google ever bring their Movie store to Ireland i don't think that will work on rooted phones either.

I have always rooted my phones the day I get them and I love installing custom Roms (some only last a few hours before I move on to the next one) but some people mightn't be bothered with that so they have to weigh up the positives and negatives of rooting.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, was flying back home for the last few days and need to catch up on some rest, but I'll get back to uploading more and respondint to replies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I have an Android 4.0.3 tablet which is stuck in the Android loading screen for hours.
    Will any if these instructions be any good in getting it to boot again and then do a factory reset?
    I have tried all the button configurations I can and it won't enter recovery mode.

http://www.lenco.eu/supportfiles/manuals/UM_TAB-9701_GB.pdf

kleefarr wrote: »
    I have an Android 4.0.3 tablet which is stuck in the Android loading screen for hours.
    Will any if these instructions be any good in getting it to boot again and then do a factory reset?
    I have tried all the button configurations I can and it won't enter recovery mode.

http://www.lenco.eu/supportfiles/manuals/UM_TAB-9701_GB.pdf

No, but when it's booting on the android logo you could do
    adb reboot-bootloader

(if you have adb set up on your computer)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

No, but when it's booting on the android logo you could do
    adb reboot-bootloader

(if you have adb set up on your computer)

Thanks for the reply.
    I guess for me to be able to use ADB and reboot loader or anything like that, the tablet would have to be recognised by the PC when connected by USB?
    Unfortunately, so far, it is not.

Advertisement