Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remapping - Pros vs. Cons

Options
  • 09-03-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

I was thinking of remapping my car - 09 Focus 1.6tdci 110 bhp.

Has anyone got any advice on either remapping this type of car - or about remapping in general?

Some people I've talked to have have sworn by remapping, yet I've also heard horror stories of remapped cars running through clutches and turbos like there was no tomorrow (Clearly I would like to avoid this).

What is your experience of engine remapping?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

In most cases a re-map sold to diesel owners is a generic re-flash for that model car. These are usually bought from another company and flashed onto your ecu.

If done correctly and to a high standard.

Pros:
    Some fuel economy improvements
    More torque
    more power

Cons:
    Some additional wear and tare, more power = more stress
    Voiding warranty

If you have a reputable tuner who stands over the work and has a proven track record you should be fine.

If done badly:

Clutches
    Engines
    Turbos
    Gearboxes
    Bricked Ecus
    Pumps

Also make sure your car is healthy to begin with. Serviced, loved, working.
    Id also look for vehicle specific known issues/common faults and if any of them would make tuning a no no.

The above is likely the source of allot of horror stories. If you tune it on a weak clutch or turbo then drive the crap out of it on higher boost, you will break it.

There are multiple recommendations on the forum if you search around boards this topic comes up allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you constantly drive any car like you stole it whether it is remapped or not then you will experience failures. Some people seem to push cars real hard after they have them remapped which can lead to addition wear on certain parts and ultimately failure.

I've had two previous cars remapped and never had an issue with the remaps or the cars afterwards. Very pleased with the results too. When getting a car remapped then it's important that the person doing the remap knows what they are doing and why. Too many lads out there buying software and a cable to meet you in a car park and fiddling with the parameters of a generic map they sourced online. Go to a reputable mapper (preferably one with a dyno to test the results) who actually knows what they are at.

There are about handful of good mappers around the country that I would trust my cars with. Tell us which part of the country you are in and I'm sure someone here will recommend somebody good.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you constantly drive any car like you stole it whether it is remapped or not then you will experience failures. Some people seem to push cars real hard after they have them remapped which can lead to addition wear on certain parts and ultimately failure.

I've had two previous cars remapped and never had an issue with the remaps or the cars afterwards. Very pleased with the results too. When getting a car remapped then it's important that the person doing the remap knows what they are doing and why. Too many lads out there buying software and a cable to meet you in a car park and fiddling with the parameters of a generic map they sourced online. Go to a reputable mapper (preferably one with a dyno to test the results) who actually knows what they are at.

There are about handful of good mappers around the country that I would trust my cars with. Tell us which part of the country you are in and I'm sure someone here will recommend somebody good.

Who would you recommend in munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cons:
    Some additional wear and tare, more power = more stress
    Voiding warranty

Increased insurance premium.

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Who would you recommend in munster?

Don't know anyone in Munster myself, I got mine done in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Who would you suggest in dublin? I dont mind a spin.

• Advertisement

Joe Power from Chippedire.com or Martin from Autoremap.com. Both know their stuff.

What make/model have you?

Joe Power from Chippedire.com or Martin from Autoremap.com. Both know their stuff.

What make/model have you?

Slk200 kompressor. Ill give them a bell see what power I can get!

Advertisement