Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My S3 has started crashing a lot.

Options
  • 28-06-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

My S3 has started crashing about once or twice daily in the last week.

Anyone else finding the same ?

Has there been an android update or could it be one app in particular ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Could be an app or could be the Dreaded bug that has cursed the S3.
    Have a search around here for that thread.

How old is your S3, where did you get it.

START BACKING UP YOUR INFO NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

It has the dreaded bug that my phone had, send it back to Samsung or sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Dont send it to samsung ...bring it back to where you got it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Get all of your photos etc off it and then do a factory reset.
    Should solve most issues.

For photos and videos I use Dropbox

Your contacts should be in your Gmail account already. You can check on www.google.com/contacts

For SMS messages I use "SMS Backup+"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP install and run this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en

It will tell you if you have an "insane"(likely to fail) chip. If it does, get the motherboard replaced. You may have to be forceful with the repair centre to get them to do this and not just reset it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

There is one other possibility Rob, having checked for the SDS situation and the insane chip....these are allegedly "fixed" by the latest f/w...

but there is also this, [see below] and I assure you it exists, so just check which keyboard you are using, if it is not the Samsung, which allows you to clear the clipboard, you will get this re-boot problem on copy/cut/paste operations, after the clipboard has 20'ish operations in it....Sammy have not fixed this, and not only the S3....

You can overcome this by using the Samsung default Keyboard, and clearing the clipboard before it reaches 20....

honestly, I have proven it happens on my phone, and I have the insane chip, but that was my problem, the clipboard one...and no re-boots since I reverted to Samsung Kb, and started regularly clearing the clipboard.....

believe it or not!!!
    [apologies for typo in thread title, can this be fixed by mod??]

OK, earlier I replied to a thread regarding S3 freezing, and suspected that there could be a connection with a problem I have, which is this copy/paste bug.

See below......

Anyhow, I have searched for the specific copy/cut/paste problem, and it seems that this is a separate bug, present from the very start, acknowledged by Samsung, but never fixed.

It does not seem to be related to the SDS thing.

It is a known bug, when you use the clipboard for more than 20 cut/paste operations, the phone simply re-boots, due to the bad coding whereby Samsung did not allow for flushing the clipboard after 20 operations, and just reboots with no warning.....see vid below for example:

if you use the Samsung keyboard, there is a way to flush/empty the clipboard, but not if you use another keyboard, which I do.

There are workarounds, like deleting the folders in /data/clipboard...

but you need to be rooted, and it is a little bit inconvenient.

see here for more info:

http://shkspr.mobi/blog/2013/02/samsung-copy-paste-bug-aka-never-buy-samsung-galaxy-phones/

Does anyone know if there will be a fix to sort this out, it seems extremely lazy of Samsung, as this affects their high-cost premium devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

ED E wrote: »
    OP install and run this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en

It will tell you if you have an "insane"(likely to fail) chip. If it does, get the motherboard replaced. You may have to be forceful with the repair centre to get them to do this and not just reset it.

I installed it and it said it had an insane chip. It had frozen in the past but hasn't frozen in a long time.

What exactly does that app do / mean? it isn't really clear on the app page

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BKWDR wrote: »
    I installed it and it said it had an insane chip. It had frozen in the past but hasn't frozen in a long time.

What exactly does that app do / mean? it isn't really clear on the app page

There's a chip on the motherboard that it checks the version of. If its the older chip its likely to fail, the new chip is safe.

Its not guaranteed to fail, but if you've had freezing theres a good chance thats the source. It seems like a lot of insane phones start to die after a year or so.

Safest bet, get a new mobo now rather than later when your warranty may be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

ED E wrote: »
    There's a chip on the motherboard that it checks the version of. If its the older chip its likely to fail, the new chip is safe.

Its not guaranteed to fail, but if you've had freezing theres a good chance thats the source. It seems like a lot of insane phones start to die after a year or so.

Safest bet, get a new mobo now rather than later when your warranty may be gone.
    Its over a year old at this stage but it's insured :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

doesnt matter if its insured .....manufactures fault bring it back to the shop you got it explain the freezing etc get it fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

just as an update, I uninstalled chrome and went back to an older version of the Gmail app and it hasn't frozen since. ( 3 days now ).

Thankfully I didn't set it alight and it and stick it up my jacksie as someone ( not here ) suggested, although I am not saying it wouldn't have worked :D

Advertisement